Bass with a whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I'm sure it's been done before. Any results? anyone ever use one? Just curious.
  2. A) The average player would hardly ever use it
    b) If you did use it often you'd be getting a new nut installed every month.
    c) a friend of mine had one on his BC Rich Warlock & to me, the hoopla wore off after using it a few times.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Les Claypool has 2 basses with them.

LeLand Sklar also uses one.

A good example of the whammy bar is "Pilcher's Squad" by Primus. Les just slams an open string then pulls on the whammy bar. He also uses one in "My Friend Fats" and "Those Damned Blue Collared Tweakers."

The guy at Guitar Center had one. He said he didn't know what to do with it. My bass teacher says it's a novelty.

Me, i'd get one. :D
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I was thinking about a Warmoth with a tremelo, but I just got a new bass. :D :D :D

The next purchase in the bass department would probably be a Carvin build it yourself kit and then I would get a new bridge.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had one back in the 80's when I was in high school and pretty stupid. Had it professionally installed on a Ric 4003. Ruined the bass. They had to route a tad of the body for it - it was a Kahler whammy.

Would never stay in tune, broke strings shortly after every time I did the "dive bomb" effect. It was a total nightmare.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    IIRC, those Kahlers are worth their weight in gold now because they were one of the few bass whammy systems that actually STAYED in tune. This sounds like a bad installation/pairing of bridge and bass.

I used to want a whammy bar pretty bad for a bass, and then I saw Primus. He barely used it. At all. So basically, I figured that if the weirdest bassist on the planet, King of the Nutterball Musicians can't find a way to use a whammy bar that often, then how am I? I might get one eventually just to explore for solo bass stuff, but...*shrug* It's a possibility in the far future, but I've got a lot of gear I need/want before that.