1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass with a wide nut that is not too heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul4703, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Paul4703

Paul4703

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi,

Looking to buy a bass, I tried a few and found that I really would like a one with a nut width of at least 1.68"/42.5mm.

The Fender 50s reissue fitted the bill with a 1.75" nut but I hated the 'sticky' polyurothane finish on the neck. The Ibanez atk300 had a 1.68" nut but was way to heavy. I asked around the local guitar shops but they didn't know of any alternatives.

Can anyone suggest a bass model that has a wide nut and is not too heavy? And if it was short scale, that would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Paul.

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    couldn't you just pick up the 50's RI and sand some off the finish off of the back of the neck? I've never done it myself, but I've heard of others doing that to their basses...

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    If you do go the "sanding" route, I would recommend the really fine 3M "Scotchbrite" pad #7448 (grey color). Simply mask off the ends of the neck where you want to end the matte finish and scuff the poly lightly. You will have to do it every once in a while as your hand polishes the neck again but it only takes a couple of minutes.

Dan K.

4. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    a good cabinet scraper will remove the finish down to wood in just a few minutes compared to a much longer time w/sandpaper or w/chemical strippers. check the luthier's forum for more info, here's a good source for scrapers
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=815587&FamilyID=4586
    After you scrape the finish off then sand then apply tung oil etc. This is similar to a double bass neck

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Wouldn't most any P Bass fit your requirements?

Take a look at the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses from Squier.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Have you considered PMing a luthier here?

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I swear my 62 RI Precision weighs 8 lbs. it's light as hell. Sticky neck was sanded down - now good to go. Just use a REALLY fine grit sanding block

8. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    +1

but the classic vibes have poly necks.

look for a used MIM for about $300 or less. nice to begin with and simple to upgrade.