bass with gold hardware...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silversport, Dec 28, 2007.

1. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    ...those of you with bass guitars and gold hardware...does the gold hold up or has it worn off to the "silver" beliow...this is my only concern with gold hardware...wondering about your experiences...specifically Carvin (12k) but also in general...
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I had a nice LB70 that I sold earlier this year. It was in great shape in almost every respect...except for the worn gold finish on the tuners ! I also have a Peavey Cirrus with gold hardware. They seem to be holding up much better so far.

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Depends on the hardware. I have a cheap Fender P bass lyte with gold hardware that has looked new for 15 years with no maintenance. I also had a Gibson Les Paul standard where the gold wore off in about 6 months from the upper half of its bridge/tail piece and the edges of its tuner knobs.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Some people want it to wear down to nickel, for the appearence.

5. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have a Gibson Les Paul Florentine, which is basically a cross betwen a LP & an ES335. Gold hardware, yeah, it's worn off the stop tailpiece where my hand hits from palm muting, but the transition from gold to nickel is actually quite sweet looking. I think around here it's referred to as "vintage", or mojo, or some other clever phrase. I call it worn down from playing.

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Its only "vintage" until you try to sell it. At that point, suddenly, everyone thinks it looks like poop.

7. n5sgo

n5sgo

Jul 24, 2007
    Catoosa Oklahoma
    I have a Harmony bass with gold hardware that still looks good. Just depends on how much plating is on it, and how much it gets rubbed. I'm guessing that they don't plate it as well as they used to.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My Fender FMTV still looks good - its about 5 years old, and gets LOTS of playing time.

9. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    thanks guys...waiting for the UPS man to get here with mine...impatiently waiting...Jan 2, delivery...:(
    Bill

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had an Alembic for 16 years with gold hardware.....no problems! I currently have a 5 year old Fender Jazz FMT with gold hardware...that bass too, no problems.

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I only have one screw on my Spector Legend where the gold finish has worn off. Otherwise, everything looks as good as the day I bought it!

12. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    good to know and thanks for the help...takes some of the sting out of the wait for the delivery...c'mon UPS guy...:D
    Bill

13. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    my schecter hasn't worn any more than i'd expect hardware to age on an instrument that's well taken care of. my friend never wipes down his guitars and regardless of painted black, nickel, gold, chrome - they all go to hell equally fast.

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    My Alembic and Spector, both have 14k plated hardware. The Alembic has (had it since 1995),The spector,No. (Still pretty new.)

15. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    :D
    Bill

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have gold hardware on an Alembic (2000) and a Marchlewski (2004). No issues with either.

Peace,

James

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021