Bass with louder output needed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jan 22, 2005.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Alright, so I'm now taking part in my schools jazz band. Only problem is, my bass, a Cort GB24, doesn't even cut through on the school's amp. I usually have the amp at full volume and its still not even close to loud. I tried another bassist's bass on it (I think it was a P-bass) and it could actually be heard.

Anyway, enough babbling, could someone recommend me a decent jazz band bass that'll cut through? I'm thinking a Jazz bass, but does brand matter? i.e. Squier vs. Fender.
  2. First off, there are most likely issues with your school's amp.

However, since the school will most likely not change their amp at your request you can do things to increase your signal level a bit.

You can move your pickups a little closer to the strings. Don't get too close however, because the magnetic field of the pups will do strange things to your sound and can actually kill your sustain as well as make your intonation seem out of wack.

Secondly, get yourself a decent pre-amp (outboard). A quality outboard pre-amp will be something that you can hold on to for LIFE. It really IS a good investment.

Lastly of course, you can get a new bass (preferably an active one with a bypass switch). But this is the last thing I would do given your situation.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Nothing more to be said! Spector
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I figured its the school amp because I own a 100 watt SWR amp and I can cut through easily in a garage band situation. I've also raised my pickup to the highest it can go.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm guessing that since it's school property, the bass hasen't had a string change/set up since the bass was bought. I'd recomend this before asking a school to buy a new bass.
  6. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    The bass isn't the schools property, only the amp is.
  7. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    what kind of amp does your school have?
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Is there something stopping you from bringing your own amp on jazz band practice days?
  9. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Uhm, some Peavey amp. Not too sure which one. I just know I had the everything on the EQ to the max and the volume to the max and I was barely cutting through.

I don't know about bringing my own amp... theres something about lugging my huge 1x15 back and forth from school/band practice/home.
  10. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Seymour Duncan makes a 26db boost pedal that can be had off ebay pretty cheap and it simply amplifies the signal you give it to a higher level.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    *Do not* crank the volume and EQ like that. If it's not doing anything for you to be heard, then there's no point and you're just damaging the amp.

Amplifying your signal to something like that with something like the SD boost pedal might not be a good idea. It's pretty easy to have an output that's too hot for the amp and damage it that way.

How often do you do jazz band practice? "Lugging" your 1x15 isn't that hard. I brought my Yorkville 100B to school numerous times and had to personally carry it...then I got a little red cart. Then a Yorkville XS400, which is a good 80lbs or so, and to go along with it, a nice cart from Canadian Tire. Pick up a nice push cart with big wheels and you'll be fine! :D
  12. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yeah just do that. That red cart woulda been nice for my days in school :p
    I wasn't smart enough to get a red cart .. Unfortunately there exists peer pressure and high school antics which would probably make him look like a "nerd" or some bull like that. I know my school was like that.

Either get the school to buy a new amp or bring your own in!
  13. cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    It might be a problem of tone, not the volume.
    when I was in the college, I used peavy 15'' bass amp w/ flat eq, volume on around 5 and various kinds of bass from high-end bass like james tyler, modulus, to mexican fender, or yamaha bass.
    there was no problem at all in case of balance.
    in the situation of jazz trio or big band, usually they want to hear each note you are playing, not the super punch-phat rock bass tone.
    so try pluck harder close to rear pick-up.
    stay close to bass amp, don't abuse it:) you need some headroom to make nice tone, maybe it's already broken but you'll have to deal with it unless you bring your own rig.

if you want to boost the output of bass, just like others saying, you can use outboard pre or install onboard pre in your colt bass.
    take care and make sure you have fun in the band. that;s all that matter.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    As others have said "Don't do that!"

Set all the EQ flat (i.e. no cut, no boost). Then see if you get enough volume. If anything, cut the bass to get more volume (esp. on a Peavey, they tend to be bassy anyway). Bass takes a lot of power to boost and it sounds like you do not have the headroom (power to spare).
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The only teasing I get is from my drummer and guitarist -- but both shut up when I pointed out that we could cut down on everyone's carrying since I could toss the drums on the new Canadian Tire one and the guitarist's amp on it ;). When we hauled the drummer's kit back from the studio, it was just him and I -- and with various kinds of stacking and the original box the bass drum came in, we got everything but the high hat stand and one cymbal on the cart. Keep in mind he plays with bass drum, snare, two rack toms, floor tom, 2 crashes, ride, hats, half a crash that sounds JUST like a Zildjian china, and all the associated stands/hardware. I'm just glad he got the second floor tom for the recording from the school's Yamaha Stage Custom Standard set!
  16. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Okay, so DONT crank ANYTHING right? Okay, got it. I'm competing against around a 5-7 person brass section, pianist, guitarist, and drummer in a large band room. I take it I should just have my bass's volume all the way up and work from there?
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Basically. And bring your own amp. Get a cart for it.