1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass with modern build but traditional sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cc9191, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cc9191

cc9191

Sep 11, 2012
    Hi all,
    I really like the feel, build and hardware quality of modern basses such as Waricks & spectors. Things like the adjustable nut, and sturdy one piece bridge with heavily embedded saddles and even the little features like ergonomic tuners really appeal to me. Also those sorts of basses tend to have very good design and build quality which prevents deadspots/ resonant notes.

However.. i totally hate that active, saturated tone of modern basses and i often find the pick ups are way too hot for my liking.. i much prefer passive systems, i play a fender jazz at the moment.. love the tone, but its got a couple of deadspots and i can never get it feeling the way i want, the saddles are often lowering on their own, but some thread lock sorted that out. Also wouldn't mind something with 5 strings.

Any suggestions? I've seen the Dingwall ABZ.. looks really good, bit out of my price range though.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There are some bolt-on, "modern" style bassess that have fairly standard sized pickups which can be swapped for something passive, and "warmer" sounding. You would have to do some research but maybe some of the mid to upper end Ibanez basses may give you the ergonomics and slick hardware your after. A friend of mine has an older Prestige 5 string(not sure of the model #)that is equipped with passive pickups. I've also seen plenty of Warwick and Spector with Jazz style pickups, whether they're a standard size or not I don't know.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    F bass vf5!

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Prestige's USA Bartolini pickups are excellent, and loud, and... dark, yes

But if you wanna go a bit cheaper, Premiums Nordstrands are, in passive mode, growly just like Jazz singles

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Spector performer is a nice quality Spector, but with passive controls for a more natural, thick and bassy tone.

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
  7. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Just to chime in, I have a slightly older 'Rockbass' Streamer (low-line of Warwick) and it does 'traditional' P-tones all day long as well as being passive.

8. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Really surprised no one's chimed in w/ Warmoth yet. Modern construction methods and body stylings (if you so choose), as well as an array of passive or active electronics possibilities.

Rob
    :bassist:

9. Any modern bass with J pup placement. Put passive pups&'tronics in it, done.

10. How about Warwick's take on a Jazz bass? The Streamer CV 4. No idea how it sounds though sorry, but I assume very jazz like.

new_1214730115CPASHAWW_02.

11. That bass could very well lose the pickguard. Ugh.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    but it's there to match the 21 fret only fingerboard as well

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Ditto, don't think Warwicks ever look good in pickguards.

14. I think it works on the Fortress Flashback, personally, but that's intended to look like a demented update of a Rick 400x, so it's in context for that application.

Can't help but wonder if Rickenbacker complained and helped kill it, or threatened legal action.

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Depending on where your price range is – I recently purchased a Dingwall Super P5. This, for me, epitomizes modern build while retaining a traditional sound and feel. An absolutely superb bass.

16. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The Fortress Flashback is almost my ideal Warwick, except for the stupid pickguard.

17. It's the only Warwick on my personal wish list, but I can live with the PG...and I'm not generally a fan of PGs.

18. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  19. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    All the pickguards I've seen are the pearloid which I hate, "might" like a black one. Wonder what one would look like naked, do they have exposed routes?

20. cc9191

cc9191

Sep 11, 2012
    Thanks for the input, appreciate the good suggestions :)

At the moment i'm thinking a dingwall ABZ or Super P would be what im looking for.. just got to find a store in the UK that has one to try out.. if i like it start saving!

Will still keep my eyes peeled and try out as much as i can in the meantime