Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass with most growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, May 22, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What bass does everyone think has the best ability at getting a growly tone? I've heard that Warwick Thumbs have quite a bit, but what do you think?

On a side note what EQ settings on an amp would help find that tone?

2. My Yamaha Attitude has a nice growl....I surely dig it...

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    What kind of Growl are you looking for? There is always the Fender Jazz growl, Warwick Thumb Growl, Musicman Stingray Growl..

Fender Jazz Growl is probably the most popular growl you hear on recordings.

Warwick Thumb.. listen to the Mudvayne CD, Ryknow digs pretty hard in to the strings so you can hear the growl very easly.. just listen carefully it

Musicman Stingray Growl.. This is the growl that you mainly get out of the Stingrays or any bass that has the MM Pickup. Can't describe it, its that "Stingray/Sterling Sound".. Listen to any Tony Levin (that uses Stingrays).

Here are couple of ways you can get a "Growly" sound from your current bass.

first off.. setting your bass up correctly will get you a growl on any bass.. check your string height (Action).. the lower it is, there is more chances of getting the growl since the growl is mainly from the strings hitting the frets. But remember, lower the strings are, the less "Boomy" your bass gets .. or at least thats what i found out from changing the string height of my bass

Another thing is, it depends on how you play as well. If you play with finger, try to dig in harder.. the softer you play, it will be more boomier and if you play harder, there are more chances of the strings hitting the frets making the growl. (If you noticed when you slap, you can hear the growl more easly)

Final thing is, try changing pickups, or your pickup volume/tone.

Mess around with your bass and see how you get your growl.. Every bass has a certain growl to it. Its mainly how you play and how you setup your bass.. Pickups will change a bit as well.. They make it easier/harder to get the growl..

Remember "The Tone is in YOUR Hands"

Good luck and hopefully this helped you a little!

DM

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Best Growl ever, IHMO...well, maybe not ever, but it sure is a tasty one...

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    ditto! :D

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You say you want a bass with the most growl? Get a RICKENBACKER.

7. Gibson Thunderbird should be on the list.

8. This baby growls for me.....

9. I used to think that only J's could growl...

If anyone has heard Screaming Infidelities by Dashboard Confessional, it has an obsurdly growly bass tone, surely it was a J, thought I.

I saw the video, and the kid is using a natural P. Maybe he actually used a J to record, but if he did it on a P, anything is possible.

On a more relavent note, pups close to the bridge growl more, and single coils growl more then 'buckers. A little bit of overdrive can help too, as can a bump of the mids.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Gibson Thunderbird

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I always thought my P-bass growled very nicely. My Spectors growl quite nicely too!

I've also just acquired a Jazz fretless, even without frets, it gets a farily growly sound!

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I love the growly tone of my Stingray.. But I also think Jazz basses can give you some pretty nice growl as well....

13. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    What about RHCP's If U Have to ask?

Is that an Alembic?

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/bassguitars/milestonev5string_metburgundyred.cfm

This is the bass I have... single coil pick-ups... what would I have to do to get some growl out of this? DarkMazda said to lower the action... I've never done this... how do I? Should my bridge pick-up be louder than the one closest to the neck? What type a strings would be best?

Oh and if you want another artist who has a very growly tone who uses a thumb, check out Thursday. Very cool tone.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I believe he played a Stingray throughout that CD. At least, that's what he was using on the BSSM video that documented the recording of that CD.

When I was growing up, nothing growled quite like Ricks. Now granted, you're not going to get the same sound out of a Rick as Chris Squire did on, say, "Roundabout", for example, unless you do what he did to his Rick - sand it down & refinish it about 5 times.

16. Your Peavey will growl if it is set up properly. Since you don't know how to set up the instrument, take it to a shop and tell the tech that you want medium-low action with minimal relief (i.e. neck bow). When you want it to growl, just dig in otherwise play with a light touch. You'll find the bass will be easier to play than it is now, it will sound better and your right hand won't get as tired during long playing sessions.

17. Dirty

Dirty

May 9, 2002
    Golden Colorado
    Warwick all the way!

Especially the bolt-on Warwicks. They have a little less sustain but a knarly growl.

It's all in the preferance though. With the right touch and set-up you can get a growl out of just about any bass.

Also, what kind of amp/cab are you playing through. And are you using compression? Those two factors make a huge difference in tone.

I agree that you should have your bass set up by a pro. Ask him if he'll show you what he's doing while he fixes it. That's how I learned.

Peace.:D

18. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    my bass, but its really more of a purr....

seriously, I think that Krist Noveselic's bass is the growliest I've ever heard. There's just something about a Gibson Ripper, with heavy gauged strings, through an Ampeg, thats just growl

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    so you are saying that fret buzz is growl?