Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass with the smoothest tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Mar 4, 2002.

1. i've been searching for months, and i need some input from you guys...so, what's the bass you think has the smoothest tone...for a good reference of smooth, listen to Palo Alto by Radiohead and Wishlist by Pearl Jam (sounds like fretless sometimes but isn't)...should i stick to the norm (Pbass/Jbass with flats) or go somewhere else? how about a fretless with flats?

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I believe Jeff Ament was using the modulus j's at that time. I almost positive that's what he had on Wishlist. He's also a big fan of Hamer. However, a lot of his sound comes from the vintage Ampeg heads and amps he has (1968 Ampeg B-18; '73 Ampeg SVT I; '70 Acoustic 360 pre-amp; '96 Ampeg SVP Pro pre-amp; and a reissue Ampeg B-15). As far as cabinets, he actually requested SWR to build him a 6x10 cab. Thus, the Goliath Sr. was born. He also goes for the Big Ben.
    I think that's probably it for Jeff around that time. He has a LOT of gear.

I just realized that I made this thread veer towards the bassists forum:) ... Sorry 'bout that.

3. hey, another Ament fan!!!!

i knew all about his gear, and i'm pretty sure that wishlist was his 1960 fender jazz (not sure what strings) through the B-18. (he played a red fender jazz live)...he hasn't used the Big Ben for ages though....

however, i have a very warm amp and i need a smooth, creamy-sounding bass, and i'm leaning towards p-bass/j-bass with flats unless there is another bass that is better for a similar price

PS: Stachio, i could also get a jazz and put a soapbar right by the neck, just like jeff's...

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah i say look for a P&J style bass.. you can get some got tonal varity with a nice P&J

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Hey relman,

Ament is definitely an influence, how can you tell? :D

I know that on the Yield Sessions he was using a Modulus on what I believe to be Wishlist. He gets great tone no matter what but I think that most of that warmth and roundness comes from the Ampegs in multitudes.

I'm sure that the J will give you loads of that (I love mine). I didn't know Jeff had the soapbar at the neck though... good little tidbit of info there. I guess trying them out would be a good idea. A lot of factors add up to the warm sweet tone. For example : a swamp ash body, with a redwood top would definitely give you that (like my Zon in progress :cool: ).

I think a Sadowsky and an Aguilar setup could also cover your needs:D . Of course it depends on how deep your pockets can go .;)

Oh yeah, doesn't the bassist (Greenwood) for Radiohead use Stingrays mostly?

6. Thanks for your input man...if i have the cash anytime soon, i will send Dave Pushic a message to start building! I figure a custom job of his will be cheaper than a jazz with all the mods i want to make...

actually, i made a mistake. Jeff has humbuckers (not soapbars) in many of his jazzes, like the one below...all bartolini

[​IMG]

and yes, Colin Greenwood used to play ernie balls, but that was only for the first two records...after that, he switched to 70's P-basses....and Palo Alto is a B-side from OK Computer-era, where he had already made the switch

7. Relman, it's very hard to beat an old Gibson EB-0 with any kind of strings on it if you roll the treble down about half way. I'm not just thinking of some of my ancient memories from the block parties in my neighborhood 30 years ago; a guy had one at the club near my house about a month ago.

Creamy peanutbutter. There ain't no other way to describe it. ;)

Mike J.

8. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    For a warm sound with presence (a la 10cc) try a Rick 4001 with only the neck pickup, half tone and a thin pick ...(no, I don't use one often, only for the occasional recording)...

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Swamp Ash is bright. Alder is warm.

10. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Yep, or even an old EB-3! SMOOOOOTH! Through an old Ampeg B-15 combo.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't think I've ever played anything smoother than that Fodera thingy they've got down at BC. See Gard re: this.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pedulla Penta. Smoothest bass ever. Man. Creamier than a milkshake, and smoother than all get out. Love the pedulla!

13. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Brendan,does that Pedulla have Bart soapbars ?
    If so,that may contribute to its smoothness.Barts are the smoothest.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member