1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass with two humbuckers in J style configuration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovine mind, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i'm wondering if such a bass exists:

-two humbucker pickups in J style location
    -active or very hot signal
    -vintage aesthetic [60s, 70s to mid 80s]

as far as tone, somewhere in the realm of a jazz bass meets stingray. deep throaty punchy mids with singing hi's without sounding too clangy when played with a pick.

can anyone recommend anything? i'm hoping there is a cheap, beat older model out there somewhere.

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    The G&L L2000 has dual humbuckers. Big suckers, too.

I believe they have a budget series as well...but can't remember the name of the series.

http://www.glguitars.com/

Go to Instruments, then look on the bass side.

EDIT: Found 'em. Musician's Friend and Guitar Center carry the "Tribute" series of budget G&L's.

3. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    You can now order the Lakland Joe Osborn and Daryl Jones models with their Chisonic Humbuckers. The pickups sound AMAZING, and are also splittable. Very flexible, can get them active or passive, and very vintage aesthetic.....

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Very happy with this after gutting it and putting custom stuff into it. Very versatile, but definitely has some aggression to it.

[​IMG]

5. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    those G&L's seem like they might do the trick. I'll have to check them out at guitar center.

those lakland's look nice but i'm really looking for a dual humbucker configuration.

what about the Peavey T-40? i love the look of these beasts. do they come anywhere close to a stingray tone? i'd ideally like to find a bass with the punch of my 'ray, but a bit warmer.

6. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i'm sure that rages, but that's not quite the look i'm gunning for. also don't have the wallet or patience for custom mods.

7. I love my Ibanez SRX. It kinda has what you are going for... Dual humbuckers and active. Mine has an Ash body... i dunno if that's vintage enough for ya. It's not too hard on the wallet either.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You asked about pickups... not body shape.

ahhh... didn't see vintage aesthetic, unless that was added after my post.

9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    G&L is not likely to be at GC. I'm pretty sure they don't carry them. At least not around here and I don't see them on line.

Nice stuff, but I'm sorta biased.

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Yeah, Oops. I found the Tribute's on Musician's Friend, and just assumed they'd be at Guitar Center.

11. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    You CAN get them with the humbuckers.... New option.

12. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    Maybe a Lakland 44-01? Does it count?

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thunderbird?

14. biobass

biobass

Sep 16, 2007
    Princeton NJ area
    Possibly a Fender Roscoe Beck IV or V. Vintage Jazz pickup location with the option of single coil, or parallel or series humbucking.

Cheers,
    Dennis