Bass Withdraws Anyone?!?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LarryM317, Dec 27, 2005.

1. LarryM317

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio Valley
    Like many of you reading, I took some time this holiday season to get back home. I live in Ohio but originally from Indiana. So I decided to take a week off of work for christmas and make a vacation out of it. 10 days in Indiana (doesnt sound like fun, but I enjoyed myself).

Now I have been playing bass for about 9 months. And I have made a habbit of playing atleast every day. I didn't want to drag my bass and amp all over the place so I just left it at home.

I went about 4 days without playing, and it was driving me crazy. I found myself driving (about 30 miles) to the music store in Indiana just to sit and look at all the basses. I was sitting in the store playing all the different basses just because. Then, ofcourse, 3 days later I went to a different store and did the same thing. Almost as if I was having withdraws. :bag:

Anyone else have a story like that?
  2. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah there are some days where I'm just ITCHING to play. And some days I've practiced so much I never wanna see a bass again..
  3. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    We went to visit my mother last June. She lives in an *extremely* small town in *very* rural Louisiana. I mean *small*. The closest thing to a music store for 50 miles is the gun store and pawn shop.

After three days without playing, I *had* to go to the pawn shop. They had a really stinky Dean, a *really* stinky Austin, and a GORGEOUS Fender P, looke/felt like a 70's vintage, but the salesperson had no idea. If I'd had the $300 they wanted (didn't know what they had, did they?), I'd have bought it on the spot. Played like a dream. My husband practically had to drag me from the store.

Cherie :)
  4. mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    you think you have it bad, i just broke my left elbow, i see my nice new bass sitting on its stand and it just is painful to pick it up much less play it.
    im going to be pretty fit to play it in about 2-3 days though so im excited.
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    When I go on holiday, it barely takes a day for the withdrawl to kick in. I find myself playing air bass to every song I hear, I practice my slapping technique on random table edges, I just go crazy. After my two week holiday in Italy last summer I literally came home and played for a day before I was right again. Also, it means your callouses soften up which sucks.
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah I always get that too, can't handle more than a day off bass or I start wigging out. Whenever I'm on holiday I HAVE to find a music shop as soon as possible, then just sit there playing until they stop even pretending to be polite... :D
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Bought an old, old super cheapie bass for a travelling companion. It's so cheap - it was a budget line offshoot of Vantage! Sort of like Epiphone making a line of sub Epi basses they didn't want to put their name too prominently on.

But it's got some nice wood, well built, and best of all fits in a Les Paul case (loosely at that, it's shorter scale than some guitars) right behind the seat in my truck.

It was getting to the point that I knew certain shops in certain cities where a very nice but expensive bass "lived" that I could visit while on business trips.
  8. I left the country for a month to spend some time in different places. I had everything I needed except my bass fix. 1 whole month without even touching a bass. It was a very nasty experience. I was constanly working out basslines in my head and feeling this empty feeling everytime I hear a song and payed attention to the bassline. Very sad. First thing I did when I got home was play for around 2 hours. My name is Sebastian Baron and I have a problem.
  9. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You guys are all nuts.

10. heck yes. i work 3 12 hour shifts in a row and during those days i'm either eating, sleeping, relaxing for a few min. or working. but when i'm at work during my peak hours sometimes i really want my bass in my hands. it's then when i'm sitting by myself bored, that i start getting melodies popping into my head that i want to play :crying:

especially since i began recording band rehearsals on my laptop, i bring it to work with me and listen...then i come up with ideas to add on to the songs but don't know how to *store* the idea in my head. the best i can do is open up *word* and just start typing a description the best i can. :meh:
  11. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Haha, nah were just bassplayers.. :D

I cant go on holiday without my bass.
  12. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Download cool edit pro and record basslines ino pc
    or sing them :|
  13. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    One holiday I was suffering so bad I used my design skills to create a "Bass in a briefcase" concept. I belive it would actually work but it used a headless bolt on neck that had a multi mortis and tennon joint at the 9th fret. No idea if it would work or not but I'd still be tempted to try. The neck is the single thing that holds back truley portable basses.
  14. well like i said, i already record on my laptop but i can't bring a bass to work with me! i have however, considered singing them :meh:
  15. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I too play everyday. When we went on Vacation to San Francisco a couple months ago, after 2-3 days I had to find a Bass Store or I would've exploded. Luckily I scoped them out before we left. We ended up walking down to Rockers Guitars on Howard street. They even had and Orange AD200B and a Ric.
  16. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I'm sitting in Baghdad, Iraq right now. I have 19 basses at home (Alembic, Fender, Gibson, Pedulla, Musicman, Rickenbacker, etc.) and I can't play any of them. I've been gone almost a month and it really sucks. In fact, I won't see any of them for at least 5 to 6 more months, maybe longer. It really stinks.
  17. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nuts and bolts
    Pickups and strings
    Bassists obsess
    over all these things...

Cherie ;-)
  18. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Yeah happenes all the time. It's a good thing I feel cos it shows how comited we all are. I once had a crazy weekend at my grandparents place unable to play anything and generally bored most of the day. Even if i can get my hands on a guitar I would have been happy but there wasn't enough room in the car. I've been visiting my parents the last two weeks with two to go. It costs me $80 up and back (four hours and small country town). I could have got up for $5 from my grandparents and then friends aswell but of course no room so no way. Could you imagine a month!?! I've also started to spend longer stays at this friends place. Next time I'm taking a guitar (accoustic played like bass). It got to 3 daze and my fingers where a blur on the couch from anxiety, frustration and wishing I was home playing. I didn't want to be rude but she could tell what was in my head. Yeah about 2 daze is my limit. When you think about it withdraws sound like your an addict needing that next hit of bass to relax and sooth your soul. It's not a bad thing at all there's alot worse things to be addicted to (lead guitar lol). Maybe they need to create a more portable bass for holiday times (like one that fits into a trumpet case).

Keep well

J Q F
  19. my friends the solution to your problems is a modified ukulele!
  20. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    school takes up so much of my free time i dont get to play as much as i like (and i have a benefit coming up! *gasp*) but i am feeling the withdrawal right now in fact. i find myself playing a lot of air bass in class.