Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass without Pickup's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Dec 9, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    My teacher went up to the NEC a few weeks ago. He told me about this bass he tried, and the bloke said it was £7,000 and then £1,000 for the case. he said sorry i won't be buying it. He said it's ok i have already sold 7. The bass had no pickups, just light sensors that i would guess sense the resonations from the string. he also said it was made from really special metals, like the ones used for surgical implants

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He is probably referring to Lightwave optical pickups. The bass has pickups, just not conventional magentic pickups.

http://www.lightwave-systems.com/

Like this.

[​IMG]

3. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    now it would seem to me that they would then just pickup the level of vibration, wich means that theres no tone involved, nothing from the wood or frets or strings. i should imagine that it would be very much like playing a wood computer.... fill me in on this a little more.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The vibration would be affected by the wood, the bridge, the neck construction and your playing technique, just like any other bass.

Check out the website. They explain how it works in better detail than I can.

5. Actually, it's just the opposite. Lightwaves are designs to reproduce the acoustic sound of the bass without the coloration that magnetic pickups have.

6. I inquired to Matt Pulcinella about a lightwave equipped bass he built. He described the tone as "a 30 ft tall p-bass". (loooong scale!)

Somebody else said "p-bass on steroids" and I think Lee Sklar had one installed on vintage P-bass of his. So I'm guessing they would sound a lot like a p-bass.

:rolleyes:

7. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    OMG! :eek:
    Beautiful!

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have 4 lightwave basses.

all sound diff.

i don't want to bore the group with all the info i've posted millions of times before.

so, if you want my opinion, PM or e-mail me.

fred

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    why would this theory be unique to lightwave pups? since magnetic pickups only sense ferrous materials, according to your process: since wood has no ferrous properties, there shouldn't be any impact on the tone.

which we all know is not true.

actually, what happens is the materials of the bass act as a filter on the string vibration. so, different materials will cause different filtering creating the various tones we so commonly associate with various woods.

f

10. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I was to a completly diffrent understanding of how they picked up the sound... i see how dumb my question seemed now :rolleyes: