Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Dec 26, 2001.

1. I don't know if this really belongs here but does anyone know how basswood stacks up to other woods basses are made of?

2. it's an extremely decent wood. not really known for anything outstanding in terms of tone and just a little bit above particleboard. also known as agathis. used mostly in low end guitars but i've seen it, very rarely, used in some higher end stuff too.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i think it's really soft and dents easily...
    (if i remember correctly)

4. Do you think it would be a bads idea to get a iabnez BTB bass with a basswood back?

5. nope they're still decent basses and good for the money.

6. yup. but by saying easy meaning that you still have to hit it pretty hard to dent it.

7. Thanx for your help. I think Im gonna get the BTB four string bass.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good choice. Ibanez BTB's are one of the best values out there right now, in my opinion.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Dean Edge bass is made of basswood and it sounds fine. Basswood is very light so basswood basses tend to be neck heavy. My Dean headstock will nosedive straight to the floor if I let go. Sounds fine though.