Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicktbass, Oct 18, 2003.

1. nicktbass

nicktbass

Oct 4, 2003
    I am building my first bass guitar. It is a five-string fretted electric. The neck is going to be made of cocabollo and Wenge. The body will be made of Pyinma(I think that is how it is spelled). Give feedback please. Need help.

2. I've never heard of Pyinma. The (loose) rule of thumb concering tonewoods is, the harder the wood, the more snappy or crisp the tone. The softer woods are usually warmer sounding. I'm sure there is exceptions to the rule.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont know if tobias (i.e. gibson) lists the tonality of different woods on their websit but they used to in their product literature
    mike tobias also lists a few in mtdbass.com
    i never heard of that body wood
    the wood of a body and neck can make a huge difference in the tone of the bass
    wenge is harder than maple so it usually makes for a tighter sound and has an interesting midrange when used in a neck
    alder for a body is pretty traditional sounding, ash is kinda mid scooped, mahogany is a bit "warmer", etc
    the fancy top of a basses body can make a lot of difference too if it is thick enough
    there have to be some good sites around with a lot of descriptions as it can be endless

4. Here's the article you are speaking of!

http://www.gibson.com/products/tobias/

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    awwwwww thanks treena you are a sweetheart

6. Anything to help a fellow bassist!

This is good to....
    http://www.exoticwoods.com/

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. nicktbass

nicktbass

Oct 4, 2003
    Thankyou for helping, I will keep looking for a body wood, but I like the neck woods. I have played another bass with these neck woods and loved it. Thankyou again.