1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass wore a hole in my suit coat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Dave Speranza, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put on my suit coat yesterday and found a hole worn in it. I thought it was so strange but then as I was playing I realized that the hole was at the spot where the bass hits my body.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do? Bass bib?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Get a new suit.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Play naked...

Gee, it must take a lot of gigs to wear through a piece of fabric. I wore a tux for maybe 70 gigs this last year, with no signs of fabric erosion/abrasion.

4. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Let's turn this into a generic bass vs. clothing thread.. A while back, I ruined a couple of shirts and a couple of ties (!) playing my old Peavey Foundation S that had rough edges on the slots of the phillips head neck screws. (They got that way from swapping the fretted/fretless necks too often.) The slots got filed down soon after. :meh:

5. +1

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    First thing, you want to make sure you ALWAYS push your jacket back behind your hip so that your belt is where the bout hits you. But the thing to remember is that what causes the wear and tear is FRICTION, so be aware of where the bass is resting when you move around. You might also want to work on physical approach a little bit, I don't lean on my bass too much these days. That helps.

Don't you know that old adage, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you're rid of him for the whole weekend."?

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't think this guy wants to learn to sew.:meh:

Next thing someone will be asking what to do about a hole in the back of their bass where their belt buckle rubs.