Bass working in mornings but not nights? :/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meatchunks, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Meatchunks

Jan 1, 2005
    Bristol, uk

I got my first bass guitar for xmas along with an amp.

Ive had no problems with it and have been finding it fun to play, but recently when i plug my bass into my amp at night it doesnt seem to be working (only faint noises come out of amp). And its not the amp whats not working as the bass was the same on my bros elec guitar amp...

Strange thing is when I play in the morning its totally fine and loud. :meh:
    Could heat be causing my bass not to work?? cause my room tends to get v hot at night time, if so how do i stop it from happening?? :confused:
  2. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    First of all congrats on getting a bass and I hope you enjoy it.

This sounds like an odd problems, have you troubleshooted(sp) all the knobs, giving them full turns in either direction? Tried different leads? If it isn't any of those ensure there isn't any condensation inside the back of the bass by removing the panel on the back. This could have built up from being very cold and then very hot at night.

Hope you work it out!
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Most shops close around 4:30 pm. Few Basses are made after that. Your Bass was probably made in a Union Shop and is 'worker sympathetic" !!.......LOL

Unless it was made in one of the Chinese Sneaker Factories. Those people rarely go out at night alone......LOL.. one more time..

Actually we need more info about your Bass... Brand/model, Active?, Passive? Active/Passive?.. etc.. Check it with another Amp as well. Unless you have Power Brown-outs at night where you are. That could hurt the Amp's performance too, I think!
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    This is admittedly a reach, but could your electrical system be suspect?

In the morning, most of your neighborhood, if they're even home, probably isn't using much electricity. In the evening, however, everyone is back home, electric ovens/dryers/heaters are cranking full blast, and the AC power delivered to your amp is just a bit degraded, not to mention irregular. I'm wondering if this might be the "tipping point", the time where your AC voltage drops down to where the amps are having trouble.

Like I said, a reach - but you'd probably know if there are power problems in your home, such as if other devices are acting up at night.

As said earlier, congrats and welcome to the club....
  5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Are you trying to play it through an outlet that's controlled by a wall switch?
  6. Meatchunks

Jan 1, 2005
    Bristol, uk
    I have my amp plugged straight into the mains, also if I play my electric guitar on my bass amp, it sounds fine...
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The amplifier power required to produce a deep bass note is much higher than that needed to produce electric guitar notes. There's still a slight possibility that you have a power problem, becoming apparent only when bass notes call for more power.

Try this: Plug the bass in, and play only notes high up on the G string (the highest notes). If those sound fine, but the deepest notes won't sound, that strongly points to a power problem. OTOH, if the bass won't make any sound at all, even when you're playing high up on the neck, then it's definitely the bass. Sounds like the bass at this point, but this test will cinch it.

And if it is, sounds like something in the electronics (pickup, pots, etc.). You said you got it for Christmas - was it new? If so, it should have a warranty....
  8. If the bass is active, are you possibly keeping it plugged in all day? If so (and if the battery is on it's way out) the day-long drain on the battery may be it. I'm thinking maybe you unplug it at night? That may let the battery recover slightly to work earlier in the day.

Odd dilemma. Swap the battery and always unplug your bass when not in use (IF it's active).

Hope that helps. Let us know what it was.
  9. Meatchunks

Jan 1, 2005
    Bristol, uk
    sorry, im new to this stuff, what exactly is active/passive? im not to sure.

So do I need to unplug my bass even if the amps switched off at the back (not on the mains)?
    And if I leave my bass alone for awhile will the battery fully recharge?

Im off to bed now, I bet my bass will play fine in the morning...
  10. If your bass takes a battery, then you need to unplug it all the time. When it's plugged in, it drains the battery. If your bass does in fact take a battery and you have been leaving it plugged in, replace the battery and always unplug the bass and you should be fine. The battery will never fully recharge, but you may get enough juice after being unplugged for a while to last until nighttime.

Good luck!