Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass XCiter AND Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by schmittuml, Aug 20, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I love the sound clips of the bass Xciter......but it isnt a compressor right? I would like compression obviously, but dont wanna over do it if this has compression in it.

-thanks

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    no its not a compressor. aphex make a separate compressor: the punch factory.

3. the bass Xciter does do some compression, but in a different way. Would be best to try one, it's rather hard to explain.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    The Xciter certainly adds some kinda " oomph " but i cant explain it either. Dont forget also that its pre and post D.I. out

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah the xciter is really kind of unique, and as you say, hard to define. i think it makes my amp sound bigger and better (which is always a plus!). anyway, heres an excerpt from the bass xciter manual that might shed some light on what it does:

"In certain ways, Big Bottom [the bass boosting side of the circuit] behaves like a bass compressor, because it extends and sustains the notes. But, unlike a compressor, it does nothing to stop the leading edge of transients. It does not reduce or diffuse the snap, pluck, or punch. And, because it uses a dynamic, constantly changing kind of boost, it progressively augments the deeper tones as they decay, making the notes more solid and allowing your amp and speakers to develop their maximum output more safely."

Hope that helps. Theres a more technical description of the circuitry in there too, so let me know if you want me to type it out for you.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    er..yeah. Thats what i said :D

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i just got back from a jam with a friend and the only pedal i took was the bass xciter. i had been playing with it on for like an hour and then i turned it off and my friend goes "whats the effect, it sounds like its underwater" and i said "thats what my bass sounds like without the xciter on".

my normal bass sound aint too bad either, the bass xciter is just really really good imo.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I spent quite a while at a music store recently, playing with one of those. I was pretty fascinated with that thing.

One thing that rather amazed me had to do with the fact that to demo the unit, we simply listened through a little 1X10 or 1X12 combo - it was a decent one, but pretty small. I ended-up going back and forth between Xciter and bypass, comparing the maximum volume - I mean maximum perceivable loudness; I was trying to maintain a generally-similar eq balance - I was seeing how loud it would go before something farted-out or somehow distorted or whatever. Well - there was just no way around the fact that this little amp was able to sound appreciably louder with the Xciter in-line. I was kind'a freakin' on it - it was really like doubling-or-more amp power!

One thing I was really left thinking about is this: This thing has a VERY similar effect to a major part of the Sansamp-sound - WITHOUT the distortion or mid-scoop (well, if you crank both the low and high sections, it's a little scoopy, I s'pose). But I'd say that our advice to anyone who's considering a Sansamp, but isn't looking for the distortion, could be that maybe the Aphex Bass Xciter is what they need.

I can see what Xan's talking about - it didn't sound like 'an effect' when I had it on; instead, it sounded like something went WRONG whenever I bypassed it. It'll SPOIL ya, all-right!

Joe

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah its quite a special little unit.

I was jamming a few weeks ago with two guitarists: one using a 50w solid state marshall and the other using some big old fender..

i was finding it difficult to match their volumes with my 120W behringer combo. so i kicked on the xciter and and it put me right up there (though im sure they werent fully cranking it).

here are some more extracts from the manual:

"you will notice that within a fairly broad range, the Lo Blend will cuase a special kind of balance where it does not bloat the sound, but it does extend and deepen the tone. For bass instruments, this is where the Big Bottom is doing what no other processor can do: giving you more effective bass power without overloading your amplifier".

to be clear tho, this effect is not a boost, at least not just a boost. you gotta try it to know what this all means.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - that's a pretty good way to describe it, all-right.

I think I need one.

Joe

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    thats the spirit!

ive got a sansamp progammable on the way too. im thinking i will put the sansamp in the loop with my other effects and the bass exciter will be the only pedal on my clean signal path.

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    correct me if im wrong....

i readed a while back that the exiter works with psicoasustic, so the job is not boosting or loweroing certain frequancis but makeing a LITTLE delays on some freqs so the whole sound its bigger without boosting the overall signal.

i never tryed the unit though, but some clips will be great!

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I had one, it was a nice tone enhancer. I agree that it made my amp sound bigger, better and fuller. I ended up with a sansamp programmable instead, cause I needed the versatility. I don't know if you'd be able to hear that much of a difference with sound clips...but If you plugged it into your rig you definitely would.

Edit: I also have the Punch Factory optical compressor. Great compressor, totally different animal. I never got to try them together though...I bet they'd be great.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I had an Xciter for a while and found that it made small, low powered rigs sound great, but was pretty useless on a bigger rig.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There! I think that's what I was saying before - the Sansamp REPLACED it, right? ..like you could find a fairly flat and clean sound on the Sans' that did a very similar thing that the Xciter did - that 'extend and deepen without bloating' Big Bottom thing - right?

I can't really speak for the treble - I mean I wasn't really comparing the treble them; it was the 'Big Bottom' that I was saying was BDDI-like.

Joe

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting! I never thought of that.

I'd better try one through MY rig before I buy. I was thinking the opposite, sort'a - that "if it sounds THIS good with the little practice amp, it would have to be super-good sounding on my super-rig"

Hm...

Joe

17. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes the xciter does work on a psychoacoustic principle. though im not entirely sure what that means, the manual definately mentions that word more than once.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yup, I found a similar clean sound with the sansamp. Not identical though - The Bass Exciter had a bit of a warmer low-end tone to it. It seemed a little more natural sounding, it didn't color my tone as much the sansamp.

But the sansamp gave me more tweaking options...it acts more like a preamp. While the Bass Exciter is more of a tone enhancer, beefing up my existing tone.

19. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    So does BBE's Sonic Maximizer work along these same principles? Or is there a huge diffference between the two.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    It isn't a compressor...I've heard it described as an envelope filter, but I might be mistaken. I plan on using the compressor function on my BP200 with it to see what I come up with. I might issue a report on my blog.