Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Xciter vs. Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mooooooo, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    Hi there :) I'm new here and that's my first post. I wonder if anyone could help me choosing between the Bass Xciter and SABDDI. The latter is tempting because it has this programmability, the Xciter seems to have a more transparent DI, as I read. I don't have an opportunity to listen to these pedals unfortunately as they're only sold through Internet shops in my are. So any advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. What are you actually looking to do with the pedal??

3. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    I'd like to get a fatter, richer sound and the overdrive. I'm not sure that the Xciter has it, though.

4. Well the exciter basically enhances your tone. It makes your sound bigger, and you shouldnt have to puch your amp as hard. It apparently helps to cut through in the mix too. Adds lots of phatness, or a little phatness if you like, and also enhances the highs. To me, its something that i would leave on all the time as a preamp basically... more a part of my rig then an fx pedal

I have no experience with the Sansamp, but heaps of people use them and think theyre great. Ofcourse, it has the advantage with the overdrive option, and programbility with 3 settings instead of just one. But i would use this as more of an effect.... Like i would have an OD channel, and more distorted channel, and a nice phat channel for certain parts of songs....

This is just me though......

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Not really, not overdrive.

For overdrive, you'll probably be better off with the SansAMP. I have the Xciter and the BDDI. The Xciter I pretty much keep on, to "phatten" up low end and as a DI. The SansAMP I don't keep on my pedalboard anymore. I mostly use it for recording, as it's extremely portable, and sounds great. I rarely use the overdrive on the BDDI, but that's just a personal preference. For fatter tone, you might also want to check out the Sadowsky DI/Pre pedal. That's pretty fat too. No overdrive though.

In a perfect world, you'd get yourself both. ;)

It is a lot of money to spend at once, so I would highly recommend trying them first. Maybe there is somebody from TB in your area who will let you try their pedals? For resale (incase you don't like them), you'd get good money for the BDDI, and the Sadowsky pre. It's always something to consider.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good inormation here, Moomeister.

I might add that I keep my Xciter on all the time now. It's after a CS-3 compressor, and before an ODB-3 distortion. the Xciter does not provide distortion, but what what it does do for me is absolutely transform the ODB; I don't care for the ODB-3 by itself - you may notice that it generally gets sort-of a bad rap around here - but at the output of the Xciter it's a whole new pedal, both for light overdrive and real-live wave-clipping-distorion.

I set the Xciter (left-to-right, by the numbers on the control panel) 5.5, 8 (maybe backed-off from there a tad), 6.5, 8. It's not that touchy - anywhere around there sounds great. the touchy-est is probobly the 'low-blend' - much higher than '8' gets boomy when the distortion is off; much lower than '7' doesn't quite 'do that magic' with the distortion when it's on. I'll tend to maybe turn-up the 'high-blend' for slap playing.

I use flatwound strings (T.I. Jazz Flats), and boost treble quite a bit on the compressor, so this may not directly translate to your bass.

I have some server trouble now, but if anyone would like to hear this setup in-action (both with the distortion off and on), PM me with an address to send an MP3 file. I have a new band demo master that the engineer and I just completed this last Friday. The bass is rather prominent in the mix... What can I say? I can send a 3M, 4M or 5M file size (different compression ratios). the song is Jungle Love, by The Time, as performed by Funk University - my most-recent band project.

I've never owned the Sansamp stuff, but have used them. they have a similar kind of effect in the low-end as the Aphex unit, it seems, but the one I played with (the 'famous' pedal direct-box one..?) scooped the mids, and the distortion wasn't very phat or warm - it wasn't buzzy, but rather 'scritchy' or brittle, I thought.

Joe

7. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    And another question.

I've been reading lots of BDDI threads recently and I seem to bump into many posts by people disappointed in BDDI. They say that the sound is far from the real tube sound, that BDDI "kills those sexy mids", etc.

Are there any people here who really got the hang of their BDDIs and absolutely love this pedal?

8. Trust me on this............the old "mid scoop" allegation is a complete red herring perpetuated by those who have yet to get their heads around the fact that the controls on the SABDDI are ACTIVE and SENSITIVE so that, if you cut Bass and/or Treble to any degree, Hey Presto!! you have boosted the Middle.:smug: :smug: :smug:

If you use the "Search" function, you will find numerous threads on the merits (and otherwise) of the SABDDI and there id certainly a website which was set up by a TBer which includes Sound Clips.:) :)

I can't comment on the Xciter as I have never used one but, since buying my SABDDI (the old non-programmable version) I have never rehearsed gigged or recorded without it.

Totally indispensable IMHO.

9. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    That's what I thought actually. :) Thanks for replying. The fact is that I'm a newbie bassist and this is going to be my first bass pedal when it ships (I hope). Too bad there's no possibility to try in the shop. Oh well.
    Anyway, I play a 70s Fender Music Master. Do you think it should work fine with BDDI? :)

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have owned both. I still have the SABDDI. If you have a nice rig, the merits of the Xciter become less prevalent. The Xciter IS a cool pedal, just not as useful an the SABDDI, IMHO.

11. I can see no reason why it shouldn't.

Good luck with it. :) :)

12. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    bassicinstinct
    bass-shy

Cheers, guys!

13. No problem.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you research eBay before buying new though. I can't tell where you are located from your Profile, but there are currently a number of used units available and the older non-programmable version is buyable at particularly favourable prices.:smug: :smug:

The things are so "bomb proof" that, personally, I can't see the point of paying "inflated" new prices as the chances of you needing to take advantage of any warranty is remote to say the least IMHO.

14. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    The thing is that I live in Moscow, Russia and there's only one Tech 21 dealer here. Buying from eBay + delivery would cost as much as the new pedal. [​IMG]

15. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    get them both :)

16. Understood - that does put things in a slightly different light.:)

Good luck with it though. And don't forget to let us know how you get on, OK?

17. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Mooooooo, <I>Privet ; Dobra idag!! </I>

I was looking at the SansAmp for it's distortion. I can emulate it close enough with my ME-50b set to clone "Sand Distortion". It would be a nice DI but I am already commited to my BassBone so I didn';t buy it.

The Aphex Exciter is nice. I tried it though an el cheapo amp in a music store, it sounded great. When I got it home and tried it with my Ampeg SVT, the difference was marginal.

18. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    It's seems like I'm getting had by those Tech 21 dealers here. They assured me that they would have the BDDIP Wednesday but not they're telling me next week and minute later they say mid-March. I hate it how it sometimes works in Russia!

I'm having a gig on Tuesday and I really don't feel like playing through that Crate amp which they have in the club. I'm also starting to think wheter I need so many drive variations which BDDIP provides. I also want my sound to be smoother and I'm kind of unsure if it will be as soft and smooth with BDDI as with the real tubes.

Our local shop aslo has an Ampeg SVTDI for sale which I'm probably going to buy if BDDIP doesn't arrive.

As you might have already guessed, my general idea was to mix sounds from the amp and DI-->PA. Maybe I'll be better of with Ampeg DI then?

19. No - the SABDDI is your answer AND the other beauty of it is that you can chuck it in your gig bag and turn up at ANY gig and know that you will have a decent sound avaiable both via the PA and whatever crappy backline you might have to work with. A bit easier on the back and wallet than an Ampeg too.:)

20. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    Alright! :) I get your point.