Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass zoom 708

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, May 19, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i got this pedal a while ago and for the price i paid for it i'm a bit disapointed. most of the effects sound the same, is it my amp? or is there something i dont know about?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I bought the pedal and kind of had the same reaction. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. My only advice is not to use the presets. My favorite settings are either made up, or tweaked versions of the presets. Also, try the presets with different Amp Simulator settings, those make a really big difference.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    oke, wot are your fav effects and settings?

and how do you save them?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Lemme see... I believe I paid $130 when it was still relatively new, it might have gone down a little bit by now.

First, my advice is to read the manual, it can explain it much better than I can.

Ok, you can only adjust the patches that start with numbers, like A2 or B4, NOT the ones with numbers. They are not user changeable. When you're on the patch you want to change, press the "Edit" button, and use the arrows to change which effect you are editing and what type, and then the knobs to change the effect parameters. To turn off a certain effect, press both the left and right arrows at the same time. That was left out of the manual. After changing all the things you want, you can just press the "Save" button, and then change where you save it by pressing the footswitches. Like, if you edited B4, you could press "Save", it will start blinking, then you press hte pedals up to A1, and hit "save" again, and it will save it there. More to come, I have to go eat dinner.

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I bought it to go straight from my bass to it to a minidisc recorder. That way I can record with the drum machine on there and my bass in one track and get down all of my ideas, and I can leave it hooked up all the time because its small. It doesn't sound like a sansamp bass driver, but the sansamp doesn't have a drum machine. I have 8 effects pedals and don't really use it for the effects, just the amp selector and the drum machine for practice. Also, to use as a metronome/drum machine for practice.
    cam

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ok, I'm back. As for what effects are good, I like the Chorus setting which I believe is in he 5 bank. It's a good strong bass sound, even without the chorus. Also, if you really like modern sounding basses, under the Comp/Dist module put it on Shape. There are a few useless effects, like Time, and the Step filter. I don't know how well the fretless effect works, because I'm already playing on a fretless. I set up mine so all the patches I use most are at the front, although I don't use that many effects when playing anymore. But if I need them, they're there!

A1- No effects, this is so I can still have the amp sim on, which gets turned off if you go into bypass/tuner mode.
    A2- Clean with Shape and some EQ
    A3- Chorus
    A4- Delay
    A5- Tubeish overdrive
    B1- Phaser/Delay/Distortion
    B2- Funky Auto-wah
    B3- Synth
    B4- Really heavy fuzz

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    super duck, that sounds purdy kool, how do u arrange them like that? and what where they all b4, if ya can remember?

thanx dude

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Basically, I just deleted all of the parameters, and changed them to what I wanted, and changed the name of the patch. I started by just turning off all of the effcts that were on, and going through putting in what I wanted. You can change the name of the patch by turning the knobs when it says PATLEVL, which is the first thing it says when you press "edit". Or, you can just change the parameters by moving the patch and just changing the little things you want different.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bought mine new for about $150, including A/C adapter.

I agree with the previous post; you need to study the manual in order to get the best benefit. You'll learn how to edit the patches and move them too. I tweaked that factory patches in order to get the sound that I like. I use "flanger", "octave", "bright" which is actually a wah wah, and "lead".

The drum machine is not good enough for gigging, but great for practice.

I like the suggestion of keeping the first patch empty. I never would have thought of that.

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    isnt keeping the first one empty no effect which is A1 isnt it? if not how do u do it?

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As the unit comes, A1 is not a clean effect, it's called "Power" or something silly like that. In order to turn off ALL the effects, press "Edit" to go into edit mode, and then use the < and > buttons (not the pedals) to go to the various modules, like Comp/Dist, or Mod, and then press both < and > at the SAME time to turn off each individual effect. Once everything is off, you can turn on one effect at a time to get a feel of how they sound, or just leave it clean like I do.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey superduck, all this talk about the 708 got me interested in tweaking my patches again.

Last night I fooled around with the flanger, fatwah, bright, lead, and octave patches. Also managed to get a usable fuzz bass sound too (try the ACOAMP patch). It's just a matter of adjusting the various parameters to your own taste. I got some great sounds to solo with at the next jam.