Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiggy, May 7, 2001.

1. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nc
    i have read the posts on cheap bass magic and the high dollar godlike basses but what is the best bass new out of the box for under two hundred ? and can a cheap bass ever compete with the thousand dollars and above basses

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There are not many of them. A Squier I would think. If you go used, you could find a MIM Fender or a lower-end Yamaha for that price. But don't expect to get a very good NEW bass for that amount of money.

In my experience, no. At least not if you're talking ~$200 basses. There are SOME $500 basses that I personally would prefer over SOME $1300 basses, though. (must... resist... bashing... Musicman... damn, did that come out loud?)

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Twiggy, if you like Fender stuff, go Squire...but IF you can shop around, try an Ibanez GSR200. If you can find one you really like then they are a VERY decent 200 bass. Now of course, this IS a cheap 200 bass, but that said, not a bad buy if you can find one that isn't firewood (like I did). And word to your mother: Rouge is a no no....

Also, if anyone near you carried Samick, try that.

In my opinion, don't got for a 200...wait, get a MIM Fender, an Ibanez SR, a low end Spector, anything over about 350 will do you pretty good for a biginner bass.

4. Yes, save your $$$, I can almost guarentee that you wont be happy with any $200 bass,

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, although... Danelectro?
    It certainly won't compete with anything over $500
    But I perfer my Hodad over my Ibanez SR800LE...
    I think that says something?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That youre really, really weird?:D:D:D

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rogue, you mean? Actually, Samick (IMO) is just as much a nono. They're stuff is overpriced and sounds like CRAP...there are a lot of big dealers around here, so I've tried a lot of the stuff they put out. All have totally inadequate, thin and weak sounding electronics (even for this price range), mostly useless tone controls, uneven volume controls, finish flaws, bad woods, terrible neck joints, REALLY bad fretwork (again, even for this price range), etc.

None of the Samick basses are worth the time of day.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    $200??? You can rent one. Squires are pretty consistent quality.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, your best bet would be this:
    Just read the other threads about people looking for basses, I'm sure all the bases you're looking for have already been covered. Just open up a few other threads.

Although my suggestions on cheap basses?

Get a Danelectro Longhorn, Epiphone EB-O, or a MIM Jazz or P-bass.