1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Jul 30, 2001.

1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    What kind of Bass do you use. I just moved from 4 to a 5 string. I love the 5 string! I might later move to a 6 string. But I just want to know what other people on this site are using.

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I used a four String Status Graphite Custom. Aswell as a 4-string double bass,

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    4's and 5's for now

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm a 4 string aficionado!
    i use a MIJ squier jazz '82
    a gibson thunderbird '97
    and a rick 4001 '80

i prefer 4 string passive basses and i hope to add a p bass when i'll have the money. i used for a short time a marvellous spector ns5cr but i ended trading it. it was really great bass, but i feel better when playing a 4.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    4 for punk
    5 for heavy modern rock

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

4, 5, & 6.

Mostly fretless 5(Zon), a lot of fretted 5(Pedulla), a little 4(Fender), a little 6(Ibanez).

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Fretted 4's exclusively. I'm stuck in my ways and haven't found a need for more strings yet.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    In my lifetime, i'll probably never play more than a 4-stringer. I have only owned fretted basses. I'm getting a fretless, though. I figure, i only need four strings, why get more.

9. I play a four string at the moment, but I'm a fiver at heart. I love the low strings, the size and feel of them...just gets me I guess. I'll still always be a four player though, as there are a lot more real good 4's than there are 5's, and some 4's have 'that tone'(Stingray being a good example).

Someday I may contemplate 6, but then I would probably string it with a low F#.

The way I seem to gain my reference points on the neck is from the position of the G string under my hand..playing 5's is no trouble, but a High C makes me have to rethink my stuff.

10. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    SQUIRE P-BASS! yes! beat that!

11. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    what were you thinking dude? A Squire Percision? First off Squires stink and second why would you want to brag about that? Anyways i say 4, 5's are too much for good solo's and you cant get as easy slap and pop action as you can on a 4. But i also use a 5 for some of our heavy stuff, lefty punk bass is right: 4: punk, 5: modern heavy rock

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    ...aka kenling for an accordian fire.

13. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    lol @ PortraitofTracy

14. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    chill out dude. im a beginner. i was also kidding about the "beat that" part

15. i play a 5 now, i'll never go back to a 4 , neither will i go any lower than a 35" scale, playing a 36 at the moment,

i would like to get a 6 fretless, one day, and ultimatley, a 7 fretted

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow 6 String
    Custom Omega Bass 6 String by David Pushic
    And very little Cort Curbow 5 String Fretless. (I almost dont use it)

17. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    yo crash, sorry bout that. I can be an a$$ w/o knowing it.

18. I have two four stringers one ibanez and one Epi Explorer. Then I have my beloved five string LP. I use all of them for punk and have my five currently tuned at d-e-a-d-g. (Im just testin it out:D)

19. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Right now I use:
    Music Man Stingray 4 string - 90%
    Yamaha RBX760A 4 string - 10%
    The Stingray is best for punk/funk/jazz/rock etc. The Yamaha comes in handy for some of the reggae/dub basslines I play. I've always been fine with four strings and i've never needed anymore, but i'm planning on getting a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 string just cuz it's a great deal, and it wouldn't hurt to have one. Might come in handy sometimes:) :D

-FSR