Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Jul 30, 2001.

1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    What kind of Bass do you use. I just moved from 4 to a 5 string. I love the 5 string! I might later move to a 6 string. But I just want to know what other people on this site are using.

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I used a four String Status Graphite Custom. Aswell as a 4-string double bass,

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    4's and 5's for now

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm a 4 string aficionado!
    i use a MIJ squier jazz '82
    a gibson thunderbird '97
    and a rick 4001 '80

i prefer 4 string passive basses and i hope to add a p bass when i'll have the money. i used for a short time a marvellous spector ns5cr but i ended trading it. it was really great bass, but i feel better when playing a 4.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    4 for punk
    5 for heavy modern rock

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4, 5, & 6.

Mostly fretless 5(Zon), a lot of fretted 5(Pedulla), a little 4(Fender), a little 6(Ibanez).

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Fretted 4's exclusively. I'm stuck in my ways and haven't found a need for more strings yet.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    In my lifetime, i'll probably never play more than a 4-stringer. I have only owned fretted basses. I'm getting a fretless, though. I figure, i only need four strings, why get more.

9. I play a four string at the moment, but I'm a fiver at heart. I love the low strings, the size and feel of them...just gets me I guess. I'll still always be a four player though, as there are a lot more real good 4's than there are 5's, and some 4's have 'that tone'(Stingray being a good example).

Someday I may contemplate 6, but then I would probably string it with a low F#.

The way I seem to gain my reference points on the neck is from the position of the G string under my hand..playing 5's is no trouble, but a High C makes me have to rethink my stuff.

10. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    SQUIRE P-BASS! yes! beat that!

11. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    what were you thinking dude? A Squire Percision? First off Squires stink and second why would you want to brag about that? Anyways i say 4, 5's are too much for good solo's and you cant get as easy slap and pop action as you can on a 4. But i also use a 5 for some of our heavy stuff, lefty punk bass is right: 4: punk, 5: modern heavy rock

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    ...aka kenling for an accordian fire.

13. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    lol @ PortraitofTracy

14. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    chill out dude. im a beginner. i was also kidding about the "beat that" part

15. i play a 5 now, i'll never go back to a 4 , neither will i go any lower than a 35" scale, playing a 36 at the moment,

i would like to get a 6 fretless, one day, and ultimatley, a 7 fretted

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow 6 String
    Custom Omega Bass 6 String by David Pushic
    And very little Cort Curbow 5 String Fretless. (I almost dont use it)

17. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    yo crash, sorry bout that. I can be an a$$ w/o knowing it.

18. I have two four stringers one ibanez and one Epi Explorer. Then I have my beloved five string LP. I use all of them for punk and have my five currently tuned at d-e-a-d-g. (Im just testin it out:D)

19. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Right now I use:
    Music Man Stingray 4 string - 90%
    Yamaha RBX760A 4 string - 10%
    The Stingray is best for punk/funk/jazz/rock etc. The Yamaha comes in handy for some of the reggae/dub basslines I play. I've always been fine with four strings and i've never needed anymore, but i'm planning on getting a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 string just cuz it's a great deal, and it wouldn't hurt to have one. Might come in handy sometimes:) :D

-FSR