Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff N°2, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Cliff N°2

Cliff N°2

Aug 16, 2001
    Hi folks!

I saw this Bass and then I thought " What the hell is that????" Look at picture, what do you think about that?
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    "What the hell is that?" is the right expression to use. :confused:

It looks like a combination of a 5 string bass with a 13 string sitar in the one body... the name of the image file gives a clue.

The question is "Why?"... then again why not...
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    a bass with a harp attached???
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
  5. well.. that is one ugly m.f. bass..

brrr :( :(
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It's actually not a bass, if you look carefully it looks like a strat, see it? I really don't think it's a bass, but a guitar, and yes, prolly photoshop work.
  7. Cliff N°2

Cliff N°2

Aug 16, 2001
    Hey Guys, this was no Photoshop work, this object does really exist!!!!
  8. What it looks like to me is an electric sitar, the strings that are attached to the strat neck are apathetic strings(strings that you fret and play lead on) and the other strings that look something like a harp are sympathetic strings which are played open like a harp. but what i dont get is that i;ve seen quite a few electric sitars but i've never seen them the sympathietic strings w/ that low of gauge strings on 'em (the 1st four or so). maybe i helped a little bit
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    sitar? Need to buy an "h"? ;)
  10. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Jimmy Page played some guitar-harp hybrid instrument on one of the tracks from the Coverdale-Page album. I saw it in the video; the song was really cool! Maybe somebody can come up with a picture...
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

lobster_boy, I think that those strings are actually called sympathetic strings.

They vibrate, or drone in sympathy with notes that you play on the regular strings, kinda like a real sitar.

A real sitar has a bunch more drone strings than that though.