Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassamps

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bassbenni, Apr 18, 2001.

What basstop should I buy

Poll closed Apr 22, 2001.
  1. Marshall 7400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gallien Krueger 700rb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Trace elliot 350-AH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. I'm going to buy a bass amp. I've only got a limited amount of money. Which bassamp would you buy a Marshall 7400 or a Gallien Krueger 700rb ??? Or are there any other affordable amps that you could suggest ?!
    I hope anyone can help me!
    Chears

PS what about Crate amps are they any good???

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    To be honest, it's kind of difficult to say what kind of amp you should get without knowing the rest of your set up, what kind of sound you're looking for etc.

I use Ashdown amps, and love 'em, but that doesn't mean everyone will. On a limited budget, I'd be checking out the Ashdown MAG range, the SWR Workingman's stuff, the new Euphonic amps, and maybe Trace or Hartke...

I've not liked the Crate stuff that I've tried, but there are plenty of people who do like it, so I guess that counts for something...

good luck in your search for the right sound... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    BTW, if you want to hear what my amp sounds like, all the sound clips on my website, and all but one of the tracks on my album are recorded with a mic infront of the speaker in my Ashdown C110-300 combo. There's no DI in there at all, it's all just a stereo Sony mic on the cab. What you hear is what's coming out! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't believe that "poll-mania" has even made its way into the "Ask the Pros" forum - surely this is final proof that these things should be scrapped?

Is this "Talk" Bass or "answer a multiple-choice questionnaire" Bass? I think I know which I prefer.;)

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just wondering Steve, have you tried Ashdowns 15" ABM combo? If so, did you notice any difference from the 110-300 model? It's quite small box for a 15"..

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The differences between the 110 and the 115 are the same as any 10 and 15 - more surface area, bigger box, more pronounced low end on the 15, better high mids on the 10. The Ashdown 115 is a nice blend of size and sound - I'm sure with a bigger box it'd be deeper, but it doesn't lack any tone to my ears. Doing solo stuff, i'm big on the sound of 10s at the moment - my next cab will be an Ashdown 2x10 to stick underneath the combo...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk