1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassball + Doctor Q or Miniqtron or AW3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr.Boo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Hi,

please could some expirienced advise... I own and love EHX Bassballs and I want to put one more enwelope filter to my pedalboard with quite different wah sound. I dont like things like dod 25b, digitech synth bass wah whose I tried and dislike. Could someone who owns Bassballs and some other wah compare these pedals? I looking for information, if the doctor Q has similar type of wah compare to the bassballs. Here in Europe is sometime very difficult to try the gear you want to buy before.
    If anyone has some short record of doctor q played by bass it would be great.

Thanks for you anwers..

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I highly recommend the Mini Q-Tron. Best envelope filter for the money IMHO.

3. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Thank you, but can you compare the wah of these two things (bassballs and q-tron)?

4. BassClub

BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    France
    Hi.

I also own a Bassballs and used to wonder if the Doctor Q would add anything to the "filter section" of my pedalboard.
    About 2 months ago, I decided to buy one: actually, I was very disappointed, 'cos it seems to work very well on guitar but not on bass.
    It nearly filtered nothing, even with "bass switch" on, as the wah was very "shy" compared to the Bassballs. After some research on the net, I finally achieved to find some info: it seems the "original" Doctor Q of the 70's adds a little bit of wah on bass, but is very similar to the Bassballs with a lot of loss of the low end, so it's not very interesting; the reissue is not better, in fact it works less than the original one! You might know there is a "pot" inside the pedal so that you can pitch the range of the effect, but I've never been able to reach an interesting result.
    I finaly decided to get it back to the store, and bought a Small Stone, which is very different (a phaser indeed), but works very well with bass.

Hope my experience will help you: don't go with this thing, you would be very disappointed...

;)

5. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Thanks to you BassClub,

I will not buy Dr.Q if there is significant loss of low end freqvencies. This is the thing I love on Bassballs - that it does not eat your lows while I am playing thru it...

Smallstone sounds fine alone I agree, but I have not have the possibility to try it with whole band. Is the sound able to enforce thru whole band playing?

Chuzz

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dr.Boo, can you tell us what you did NOT like about the DOD and Digitech pedals? That will help us narrow the selection of other choices.

7. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    DOD 25b I owned more than year and used I twise in practice room, never played gig with it while one thing - when I found some setting that made pretty nice WAH sound, there was significant loss of low frekvencies. The role of bass is to play bass. I like the wah sound that it made until I use it with whole band. By my opinion this thing is usable for solos well bud not for groove supporting band.

About Digitech Bass synth wah - I only tried it in a shop - it produces nice wah with octave down, but I dislike the distortion - in all modes there is some of. The wah it make is similar to DOD 25b. Heavy distoted modes are for me useless (I am in funk/jazz/pop etc. styles, not rock or metal)and the pretty nice wah sound it make I can do with othe equipment I use - EBS Octabass + Bassballs together...I am looking for samething that makes wah effect different to Bassballs and samething what does not eat bass frekvencies...

8. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Sorry of my wrongful English - not my first language...I rather play music than studiing languages:D

9. BassClub

BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    France
    Your question about the Small Stone is very interesting Dr. Boo, 'cos I never asked myself about it! It's true it works well on bass while you're playing at home: phase shifting is a very subtle thing, and I personnaly think it can add something special to your sound in some songs.
    It may be rather different in a group/gig situation, but well indeed, it depends on the kind of music you're playing!
    (To be fully honest, it may really depend on the kind of guitarist you're playing with!).
    I mean:
    If you're into punk rock/metal, your guitar hero is probably playing as loud as in "Spinal Tap" (amp set at 11/10!); then you'll certainly never hear any difference between your phaser is on or off... All you'll have to get is a Big Muff (maybe you could add a Fender Blender, an Ampeg Scrambler and a Fuzz Face to hear yourself!).
    But if you're into some more "quiet music" (Pop/Soul/Funk as I noticed you seem to play), the Small Stone is THE thing, even with your full band, to make your pedalboard be "the funkiest thing on earth": it adds a shiny "swirl" to your bass without sacrifying any low end. It is really hard to explain, as I think effects are not "word" things, you just have to feel it!
    Well, it seems difficult for you to try anything before buying it, so just try to find the song "For The Love Of Money" by the O'Jays: the intro just grooves, and this is it: Small Stone, or maybe an MXR Phase 90...

If you're searching for some other stuff to work well with bass, here is a picture of my pedalboard (these pedals are just my choices, what are yours?): each pedal has a different function, and I rarely use two of it on the same song. Sometimes rockin', sometimes groovin'...

http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pedalboard028sx.jpg
    (You may notice I'm a sort of EHX junkie, but I paid for each, as I'm not working for them!)

:bassist:

10. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello, I believe that you get what you pay for. However there are a few exceptions to the rule, bassballs being one of them. It has a very cool and unique sound all for under $100. However, when it comes to envelope filters that sound good on bass there is only one under $250, the Moogerfooger Lowpass filter. I use this as well as a bassballs and love each equally. I never use them together, and their sounds are 2 very different tools. I highly recommend the Moog, it is approx. $225 but worth every single cent.

You can see mine in the top left corner, and there is the bassballs to the bottom right.

[​IMG]