Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassball + ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigbadwolf1314, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I have been looking around at pedals and decided I want a bassball pedal. However, I want something else to go with it, because I have read it doesn't sound great on its own. I was thinking about an EHX Micro Synth but I don't know. Does anyone have any advise for what would sound nice with a bassball? I guess I am looking for maximum funk.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    If you're looking for maximum funk, don't go with the bassballs. I tried it and didn't like it at all. I suppose th filter alone on low sensitivity was mildly cool, but that nasal sounding distortion on it made me cringe. The Bass Micro Synth is more of a square wave fuzz synth than funk pedal (I think) and although a great pedal, would not be what you're looking for if it's funk you want.

I would suggest you try an MXR Bass Auto Q...Tis the best filter I own. But on the much cheaper side the DOD FX25 is a cool and very unique sounding little filter that can be picked up for next to nothing.

Also good for funk are the EH Q-Tron, EBS BassIQ, Moog Low Pass Filter, The list goes on, but IMO, do not get the bassballs. It's one of those pedals you can't judge by the reviews...I'd heard it was good, tried it, and didn't like it at all.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Bassballs sounds like that Muse song Plug In Baby. Not exactly but similar. Even with the distortion off it isnt really a 'funky' pedal per se, though I am sure you could coax some out of it. Overdrives make for interesting results when used with the bassballs.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah has a great envelope filter and a few other nice settings.

5. On the contrary, I love the sound of the bassballs on its own.

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I think the Bassballs is an acquired taste. I loved the sounds it produced. Plus add a distortion/fuzz on top of the already cool distortion switch, and you get a whole lot of whacked out fun. Unfortunately, the type of music I'm playing with my band, I didn't have much use for it, so off the board it went.