Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassBalls Internal Tweak

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by winston, Nov 2, 2000.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yes, another BassBalls thread-but I did a search and didn't find any mention of this discovery...After my BassBalls took a dive off of my amp, the footswitch needed to be replaced. After removing the screws holding it together I disassembled it and checked out the components. I found two small white plastic trimpots on the circuit board beneath the distortion switch. Moving the trimpots with an unbent paper clip while fretting notes with my other hand I discovered that they affect the frequency at which the effect's two filters operate. I had always thought that my BassBalls emphasized the high end too much, thinning out the sound...with a little knob-twirling I managed to tweak matters more to my own liking. Give it a try...

2. This is a cool feature that some manufacturers put in, some tell about it, some dont. EBS for example have got these plastic trimpots inside all their pedals, and they DO tell that they are there and what they do. :)

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Thanx Winston! I didn't know that.

Cool, more knobs to play with!;)

4. puppeteering

puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Incidentally, there is a BASSBALLS-USA being manufactured right now which apparently is just a few $$ more, and is made in the USA. It's got a much cooler looking graphic on the pedal. Check http://www.musictoyz.com- they have a good handle on effects.