Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassballs or Mini Q?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Feb 18, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have the Russian Bassballs pedal but it doesn't do it for me any more. I am looking for something funky that can be had for under $100 USD, and it can't take up too much real estate on my already crowded pedalboard. The Mini Q looks interesting but I haven't actually seen or heard one. I also have a Boss AW-3, so the auto wah base is covered. I want something envelope controlled that warps the hell out of my tone and doesn't suck, or suck out my low end. Any thoughts?

2. Mini Q is pretty good, esp. for $90, I had one
    (http://www.jam22.net/jam/acid_2.mp3 )
    although you need to install volume control, otherwise when you step on it it's gettin' louder
    PS: mini Q doesn't suck your low end

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet clip.Thanks for the reply. I'll have to see if I can find one now...

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Also, I have been told that there is a noticable difference in the USA and Russian models of Bassballs as far as sound goes. After I ordered my USA at my local shop, I went to pick it up and the owner had already been playing with it. He said that it had a lot more color and bite to it. Just some food for thought. I'm sure a Q-tron will be on my "to buy" list soon enough. An actual new bass on the list first.

I guess what I really like about the bassball is the attack sensitive nature of it. Just by changing from a pluck to a strum. lol sorry... I'm starting to turn this into a "why I love bassballs" thread.

5. How, exactly, did you do this? I'm pretty okay with a soldering iron, but do you just put a volume knob right after the input jack? (before all the drive and distortion switches?) or do you put it just before the output jack?

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    just get a volume pedal.

In my opinion this is an essential to any effects chain. With distortion or velocity sensitive effects you are able to control the input volume with the bass volume knob and control the output to the amp with the volume pedal. For example: I use my volume pedal as a drive control for my tubescreamer. crank the bass knob and back off the volume pedal for more distortion. Same goes for my synth wah. The louder the input the more modulation I can get with the pedal...but...I back off the volume pedal to save some eardrums in the audience.

danman

7. I just downloaded the clip of the Mini Q, and I want one. It'd fit so perfectly in with a certain song my band play.

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm pretty sure the russian pedals dont have the option of 9v PS. Batteries only.

Of course i could wrong. Though i never am. But i could be..

9. That's not what I asked, and I have too many pedals already. Thanks though!

10. One friend of mine made it for me, works when u turn the effect on, similar to some Boss pedals

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Wait till you try one they sound no where near as good as that I think they are far to trebley and don't offer enough control, I played with one for 30 mins in a shop near me and it got real old real quick.

The Digitech Bass synth Wah is a much better sounding, built and useful pedal

Just my opinion