Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassBalls Question - USA or Russian

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 98dvl, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I've played through a USA version Bassballs pedal, and was thinking of getting one.

Someone on this site has the Russian version for sale, but I've never played through one.

what exactly is the difference (and why do they have different versions anyway?).

Seems like all the chains (musiciansfriend.com, etc) sell the USA version for a bit more.

More $$$ = Better right?

What's the story? Anyone know?

2. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    They're supposed to sound the same but one is made in usa and one in russia (Seemingly most people prefer the shiny usa ones. Personally I much prefer the look of the sovtek stuff, like it's just been ripped out of a tank!). However, I've heard people say that the 2 versions sound different. I've never heard the 2 side by side so I couldn't offer my opinion. You have to bear in mind that (whilst I love EH stuff) there seems to be differences between even models of the same batch (so I hear), so it isn't always easy to say which would be best. You could always play with the trim pots inside if you didn't like the sound. It's all down to preference anyway.

My guitarist has a beaten up old green Sovtek Big muff which sounds great! :D The battery cover isn't even designed with a porper catch. It's just wedge shaped so it jams over the hole! classic!

3. they're exactly the same...

the only difference is that they use components made by different factories, and that could cause a VERY tiny difference in sound, because one factory uses other quality of sand to make silicons with..

other could be that one uses thicker cables than the other, causing more resistance, and bla bla bla

but those differences are so small.. they're inaudible..

only real difference is the housing.

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Like he said!

5. meridith

meridith Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    clinton twp michigan
    it is a lot easier to get parts and things fixed if you buy made is the u.s.a. it sucks to have something break right before your show and then have the store not have the parts in!

6. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I checked inside mine and it all looked very standard to me. Beisdes, not all of us are in the US!

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I've taken a couple of these apart - Guess what?
    The ONLY difference is ...... the shiny case!!
    :eek:

8. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Case closed! Go with the soviet military spares anyday! Save a few bucks. Prefferably really beaten up looking ones! with tape holding the battery cover on! ....OLD really beaten up looking ones! With dents and scratches and someones name carved in the bottom! .....and some sort of nesting animal inside. .....with mange and fleas!!!!!!

Classic!