BassBalls Russian Vs USA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 27, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Can anyone give me a good comparision of these two pedals?

I assume the USA is better since it costs more, but is it significantly better?

Both pedals are decently priced, but I, like everyone else, don't want to spend too much if I can get what I need for less

I imagine you get what you pay for in this case, but I haven't seen any comparision reviews.

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Good clip, but it's the big muff instead of bassballs.

I did happen to prefer the sound of the russian big muff over the US
  3. woah...sorry!

oh well, theres a free bump!!
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    While I have never played a USA BassBalls, I own the Russian version and can tell you that it is not the sharpest tool in the EH shed. I like the tone I get out of it for playing solo but it really isn't very useful in a band setting. I was under the impression that it would be a funky, versatile box and unfortunately had to buy blindly. The high end seems to become harsh at high sensitivity settings and the fuzz sounds awkward and farty. Anyway, it will do one tone well, but for me it isn't that great. Go with the USA.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have the russian one, love the filter, but I think the fuzz is useless.
  6. I love the USA version. The filter and your input and output volumes can create many different tones. Some say it is a one trick pony, but I've found that it can be pretty versatile if you mess with it alot. It sounds like the russian version has more of a fuzz sound too, and listening to that recording it sounds nothing like the USA distortion on the unit. It's less fuzzy than the russian and sounds more like an overdrive or distortion, with no loss of low end. I consider mine a good investment, though I may also try out a Q tron, plus an EBS Octabass. Wouldnt that sound funky?
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    +1 :)
  8. I have a russian bassballs and an EBS Octabass. Lemme tell you, together they just ooze funk all over my sound.
    I agree that the distortion isn't really anything special or useful but when I'm just jamming by myself I can have a lot of fun with it.