Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassballs songs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. So I was listening to Bauhaus today and I got to the song St. Vitus Dance off of In the Flat Field. The guitar sounds remarkably like its being run through a bassballs pedal. Let's see if we can collectively come up with any other songs that have bassballs or bassball-esque effects going on.
    The only other one that comes to mind is Sir Psycho Sexy by RHCP.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    A Bassballs wasn't used on Sir Psycho sexy :p I hated the BassBalls when I tried it, I prefer running a lightly distorted signal into a filter. The same idea as the Bassballs, but obviously more tonal options, which is what I like about it.

3. I read somewhere that he ran through a Boss filter and a Bassballs... eh.. stupid internet. Anway, the Bassballs is one of my favorite toys. Its a bit too aggressive for funk stuff, intially I bought it to cure my jones for a filter and it was the only thing my local music store had in stock. It doesn't really do conventional filter stuff very well, but its got its own unique raspy squelch, especially if you dig in REAL hard.

4. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I heard "just a girl" by no doubt today and it sounds like one of the guitarists is using a bassballs or similar effect.

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    There's an Atomic Bitchwax song that shows it off pretty well-- Last of the V8 Interceptors

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Muse - Plug in Baby. Bassballs hits that bassline almost exactly.

7. +1 about that Atomic Bitchwax song.

8. +1 on plug in baby. Except he doesnt use a bassballs. But it NAILS that sound.

russian muff into a russian bassballs with dist off, and low sens= awsome fuzzy muse-ish sounds.

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    You want Muse? Crowther Prunes and Custard, baby.

10. i was considering one. It was either you or tayste thast sent me a clip of it. And it was too squelchy. I like a more smooth synth vibe with out all the swells and squelchiness.

11. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    I heard somewhere that it is a bassballs on Have a Cigar. Anyone know if that is true?

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Well I just bought mine from Toasted, and yes it can go really squelchy, but with the drive down a tad and the mix down to let in some clean signal you can get that fuzzy-non-squelchy synth ala Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai.

I've been toying with it and my Hellbaby boost before it. The Hellbaby is a really transparent distortion, so you still hear your clean tone, just with a layer of grit on the top....So having that before the P+C just adds that little bit of harshness required for that Hysteria tone. It completely nails that tone, those are two pedals I can see myself never selling if I can help it.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That can't be true. It sounds like a flanger to me.

14. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    no its more a phaser type sound

15. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    I dunno... the more I listen to it.... could be.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think Have a Cigar was written before the bassball was created... I'm not sure though... regardless... that's not a bassballs.

17. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Mike Gordon uses Bassballs frequently live along with a flange, it sounds pretty amazing. You must pick, fingering foils that mysterious sound. Muted picked notes with bassballs, flanger, and a bit of delay equals greatest psychadelica jam bass ever!

18. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    in coffee shop by the red hot chili peppers I belive there is bassballs

19. actually, I've found that if you play the effect with fingers you get a sweet BLAAPish sound. Especially if you dig in. I like this sound.

20. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I agree 100% with the sweet sound of fingered bassballs. I do that when I play the Song Black Cow from Steely Dan and it gets me that meaty blaaap the song needs. I think that is what makes the bassballs a very cool and versatile effect, IMO it has 2 distinct sounds, picked vs. fingered.