Bassballs vs Q-tron?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nabby, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Nabby

Nabby

Jan 21, 2009
    So..this may make me look stupid and uneducated in the ways of the bass pedal..but that's fine..because I am! Anywho, I was just wondering which you would recommend more for somebody who plays a lot of funk music..the bassballs or Q-tron? And, what's the difference (if there is one). I've used a Q-tron, and I loved the sound, but I dont know the difference between the Q-tron and bassballs besides the pricetag. Thanks =D

2. EHX are releasing a pedal later this year called the Q-Balls, Im hoping it's somewhere between the 2.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    get both.

the qtron is the classic envelope filter sound and tone with many quack noises. think bootsy

the bassballs is a vowel like (think voice) filter. with the fuzz turned on, it does some really great funky vowel filter tones that are way cool.

get both.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    IS this for real?

5. yes, all we know is the name though, from what i can remember from the thread they are also releasing a bass booster called the mole.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Yes! There will be a version for guitar and another for bass.

7. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Damn, I just bought a micro-q...

8. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    A pedal that could be adjustable between Bassballs and Q-Tron and everything in between would be godly. Many times I've wanted something with a little more kick than the Bassballs, but not exactly that Q-tron sound either. Just Bassballs on steriods. Really hoping Q-Balls will do that.

9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Simply as an envelope filter on your board, a Bassballs isn't a great solution. It's got its own thing happening, and it is not very tweakable. Super cool, though, especially with the fuzz effect turned on. Although people have argued for years about what effect Flea really used on the track "Sir Psycho Sexy", it sounds a lot like a Bassballs to me. "The Kids", a track from the Jamiroquai album "Return of The Space Cowboy", also features a bass tone that sounds like a 'Balls to me.

The Q-Tron, on the other hand, is among the industry standard envelope filters, like Mark said. Very tweakable, very flexible. Some would say too much so, but its prevalence reinforces it as a solid choice.

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To reiterate and simplify:
    Bassballs = one trick pony, but it's great if you like that one trick.
    QTron = very versatile, but can't get the same one sound as the Bassballs.

IOW they sound different enough that you could have both and not be wasting board space. Personally I'd go with the more versatile option, but that's not to diss the sound of the Bassballs.

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Well that would take a pretty darn sophisticated multi-filter. They're really two different beasts.

What I'm hoping for is a BBM-sized Q-Tron+ without BP and HP modes.

What I expect is a micro-Q with a dirt switch

12. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I agree that the Bassballs is not very versatile. It really does only do one thing; create a funky, voice-like filtering with the option of some fuzz distortion. However, I have yet to find another effect that can match the Bassballs unique sound, so I would highly recommend picking one up. I have not had much experience with the QTron, so I won't speak as to the quality/tone of that.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    No, it has two tricks, fuzzy or unfuzzy.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I agree totally! And I recently got a Micro Q-Tron and ditched my Bassballs a year ago :p

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    You can do a lot more with a bassballs then most people think, you just have to REALLY play around with it, and play with the internal trim pots.

I had my bassballs on my board for years and had a lot of fun with it. You would be amazed what you can do with a Bigmuff a bassballs and a smallstone for synth sounds, really. Now that being said a Q-tron is very versatile, and can do some neat sounds, and is very funky, but mine never lasted long on my board long as it didn't like my main live bass.

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    got some tips on what to do with those trimpots for us? the conventional wisdoms holds that bassballs sounds best at factory settings, but i've never been a huge fan of the conventional wisdom

17. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Speaking of internal stuff... is there anything you can do tinkering with the guts to make a Micro-Q do a downsweep?

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004

The factory settings can be :meh: You see because we all play different and use different basses and amps and strings the factory settings on how a filter responds is iffy. You MUST adjust them by ear.

Take it apart
    Get screwdriver
    Get marker and mark out where factory settings are
    Plug in favorite bass into pedal then into favorite amp
    Turn on pedal!
    Play and tweak
    Really explore the entirity of the sweep of each pot and how they interact with each other as well as the sensitivity control
    Have fun!:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021