Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassballs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by erick, Jan 25, 2004.

1. erick

erick

Nov 28, 2003
    austin
    Does anyone know what the difference is between the normal bassballs and the more expensive "fancier looking" one?
    None of the music shops around here have them, so I can't really go and test them.
    I did a search on the subject but couldn't find any threads.
    Thanks so much for your help!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Russian vs. American. The American is made from better parts and costs a few bucks more. They do sound different though, so you might want to try both, but I've usually found the American EHX pedal usually sounds warmer than the Sovteks.

3. erick

erick

Nov 28, 2003
    austin
    ah... I see. Mmmm... I think I might order the american. Thanks a lot!

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If you do a search you'll see plenty of people claiming the pedals are identical, then other say there's a difference. I have the Soviet version and it sounds great.

5. globster

globster

Dec 30, 2003
    Back in the summer when I worked full time and had some cash to blow I picked up the Russian Bass Balls at random without trying it out and used it in a couple songs i was jamming to with my friends. The sounds it made really freaked me out but I was really enthralled by the oinking noise it made my bass produce. I use it alot now, i kinda want to try some more stuff electro harmonix has if it all sounds this weird.

6. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Check out the Qtron, mini-Qtron, or Qtron +. I have the Qtron, but really like the sound produced by feeding the output of my Octabass into the Qtron. I now wish I had the Qtron + so I could switch both effects in with one pedal.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    whats the difference between the bassballs and the DOD fx25b? theyre both envelope filters, but is there a big contrast?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, the bassballs has two filters which travel in opposite directions. So you get the vowel like sound out of it. The bassballs also has the distortion available on it (you can't have distortion only, you can only have it plus the filter effects)

9. EHX has many wild sounding efx and for the most part they are a good bargain. I coax the most wonderful and bizarre sounds out of my Bass MicroSynth but also have a bunch of other EHX efx.

10. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I wonder if you had 2 Qtrons in series and set one up to sweep up, and the other to sweep down, whether it would sound like BassBalls.

11. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Anyone else have one of these?

12. erick

erick

Nov 28, 2003
    austin
    I've never seen that before. What the hell is it?? haha

btw, thanks to everyone who's supplied their two cents on this here thread.

13. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    It's an old EH mole bass booster, you plug your bass,or guitar into it the plug it into you amp or another effect. Crazy lows the more you turn it up. I found it in a box of junk, I used to live in an old music store, it was in a repair bin tagged 1978! it only needed a new 9 volt connecter. I fixed in like 2 mins and was like, WOW, this is too cool!

14. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Got this email from EHX customer service. I didn't know this about the true bypass...

The russian version is a more economical version of the US Version. Sonically they are the same but the US version is true bypass while the russian is not.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. That's the other reason I won't buy a Ruskie...except I need a Russian Big Muff for THAT tone...just gotta wire it for true bypass and a power adapter.

16. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm now a proud owner of both versions of the Bass Balls. The USA pedal is more compact, takes up much less room on the pedal board and the controls and jacks are much more sturdy. The tone is definitely better. Hard to describe in words. With my Russian pedal, I have to have it set just perfect to get a usable sound for me. With the USA, I get a wider spectrum of useable tones. I took a blindfolded Pepsi challenge with these two and there's a significant, but not huge differnce. USA version is richer to me. I think the extra money is worth it, but the Russian pedal is still a very good choice. Less picky ears than mine may not notice a diff. Just don't let anyone tell you they're exactly the same.