Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 21, 2000.

1. i have an electro harmonix small stone and have recently become instrested in the bassballs pedal. has anyone had any expirience with these??anything will help,thanx

Keep on thumpin

2. i'd like to know as well... i've heard great things about that pedal, but none of my local music shops carry them. [​IMG]
  3. shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I picked up a bass balls a few months ago. It's got two controls. Intensity and distortion on/off. With the distortion off, and the intensity cranked, you get a killer floaty sound not unlike a dual-chorus. I personally prefer it over a chorus effect.
    With the distortion on, it boosts your volume depending upon the intensity setting from kinda loud and being able to discern notes, to ridiculous. The best way to describe it is like a really slow envelope follower on acid. The distortion sounds absolutely incredible, although as with all effects, I rarely find time to use them except when I'm just screwing around.
  4. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Try doing a "search" on this topic. It has been discussed many times. By the way, I have one and like it. But the search will give you a lot more info.
  5. just pick up one and experience it for yourself!!!!! :bassist:
  6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I like to consider the bass balls as a swirly, talk-box like effect..think Jon Bon Jovi "living on a prayer" or the cars song "just what I needed"

but more geared to bass, and touch sensitive!!

I don't use it near as much as my q-tron!
  7. I tried a bass balls.....mkaes the sound go all weird and funky. You gotta hear it to understand.
  8. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i love my bassballs....distorted or clean this thing is sweet....its like an envelope...i think its several filters put together....its a unique sound and the distortion is more of an AUGGGGHHHH than a shhhhhhh....gritty....nice...
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My findings
    Good with passive basses
    Ucky with active basses
  10. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    There are ways around that issue though.
  11. trog

Nov 8, 2003
  12. XSquigyX

Jan 4, 2005
    Musian's Friend has some samples on their site, you may want to check that out. :) They have samples for the USA and the older version also.
  13. Listen to the intro to Primus' version of "N.I.B." That's pretty much what it sounds like.
  14. whoa, this is thread necromancy.

to follow up on the post that I made five years ago (!!) i've since gotten a bassballs but it pretty much gathers dust since although it's a great sound i have no real use for it. also the distortion mode actually lowers my volume... maybe it's because my bass' signal is very hot.
  15. I actually just got mine today, I had ordered it online a week ago. As soon as i saw the UPS package, I ripped it open and went to hook it up. As stated, it makes a really cool, funky sound. I like it with the distortion on. It's a very similar sound to the tone Flea gets on the intro to Coffee Shop. To sum this effect up in one word : FUN. This thing is so much fun to play around with and try out different sounds. To get a really weird sound, try slapping with it. Oh, and dancehallclasher, just thought it was interesting how you live ten minutes down the road from me (im from ashburn).
  16. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Try in in distortion mode together with octaver..

17. too bad you only registered recently, we had a cool TB get-together in the fall. might happen again sometime.
  18. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
  19. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I know this thread has been dead for years so I apologise for dragging it back up again but I have a question...

I'm having trouble noticing any sort of sound when this pedal is on the "clean" setting even with the response cranked right up. Just sounds like a normal clean bass tone to me.

But with the distortion on, there's a definite difference.

Do I have a dodgy pedal or am I doing something wrong?
  20. i got a bassballs on my pedalboard, but i don't really use it that often

i really only have it on because its the sexiest of possible names for a pedal ever