Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassBash!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BTBbassist, Jan 18, 2003.

1. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Wow, that was really amazing. :eek:

Trip and Michael played outstanding, as did everyone who was involved. There was a great variety of styles- it was an incredible evening of bass virtuoso's.

The venue was so intimate- being that close to the action really connects you with the player.

It is late, and I'm falling asleep as I write this, but I'll post some more tomorrow (as will the others).

Thanks Paul for a great lineup!!!

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I too think the operative word was 'amazing.' Mike Dimin was amazing. Trip and Michael Manring: I still have goosebumps. Fretless Zons rule.

Only briefly met Gabu and Eric Cameron. I watched Spankbass obtain the ultimate autographed pickguard all night. That was my only Talkbass interaction.

Was that a Talkbasser that shouted for "Freebird" during Steve Lawson's set?

Only saw John Turner from across the room. Didn't get to meet him.:( He's smaller than on TV. :D

3. WHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEEEE
    *ahem*
    Yes.
    The Bass Bash.
    It was fun. :D

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It took me and my firend Erik 5 hours to get there because of traffic(it only took 45 minutes to get home afterwords) but the 2 hours we were there were TOTALLY worth it. I got to meet John Turner and Eric Cameron and Jauqo III-X and Gabu and it was fun! then after the show I got to meet Michael Manring!!!, I bought his Artist Profile video(and have already watched it twice) He's a really really nice guy, He let me see his bass(didn't really get to play it because it was all out of tune...but I did get to check it out) It was a great evening! I can't wait for the next one ;)

Seeing John's basses in person was awesome they were all much much lighter than I imagined,he was really nice too, so was every t'ber I spoke too,I'm really glad I went.
    Thanks guys for making the event totally awesome! :D

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm so bummed I didn't go. You guys would have been like celebrities to me. WOW, THAT'S THE JOHN TURNER!?!?! WHOA, THAT'S... NO, IT CAN'T BE GABU!!!! Oh... look Spankbass... didn't he use to have an avatar?

6. The ultimate pickgaurd:

7. Close up:

8. Michael Manring has the worst signature, ever!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Max,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. For me it was a blast. 9 bassist all bringing something different to the table.

Mike

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I loved your set Mike....but the sound was too muddy for me to hear what I wanted to hear...I could barely make out Autumn leaves....which was unfortunate because I saw what you were doing and I was so interested, but I couldn't HEAR it!, well not very well anyway. Not to bag on your tone or anything, I think it had more to do with the amount of amps and the acoustics of the room...oh well I still enjoyed it a bunch.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We all had state of the art amps and didn't need the PA. The PA was distorting like crazy. In fact in the middle of my set they put more speakers on the system to get more headroom. I was using the new EA iAmp800 with 2 cxl12's. They sounded GREAT up close. I had this real pure sound coming off the stage and this distorted mess in front of the house. It was a bit disturbing and I really feel bad for Todd Johnson as he was the first one to hear all the mess.

Personally, I am sorry that you really didn't get to hear it to well.

Mike

12. I was in the front row, so I could hear the players' amps well. Todd played and sounded great (nice organ sounds), but the PA noise was distracting to say the least. I spoke with Todd afterwards - he was pretty bummed :mad: and was hoping that next time he could just turn up his amp and not play thru the PA.

Too bad about the audio probs, but I do appreciate the sound guys for doing their best.

You sounded good too, Mike... I still have your sweat stains on my t-shirt :D .

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    That was mostly from nerves ;)

Mike

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was kneeling at the time :D

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh...when I walked into the joint my sensors went up and I was looking for any sign of anyone that I might remotely know from talkbass....then I saw JT....he stuck out like a sore thumb :D those two giant cases, the crazy hair-do(only crazy cause I've never tried it) the throng of people talking to him....then as I was walking towards him to introduce myself I saw his badge and the sign on his cases all say John Turner....so it was pretty nice to have that connection early on. If it hadn't been for the few tb'ers I met the show would have been much more shoddy

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I only wish more TB'ers had come up to introduce themselves either at the Bass Bash or the covention. I got to meet JT, Jeremy C and Spankbass. I know there were others there, I just really didn't get a chance to meet them face to face ... next time, I guess

Mike

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, the Bass Bash was a blast! It was really cool meeting some more TBers. I had to leave about 11:30 because I was extremely tired (it had been a really long day for me), but everybody who played was really great and you could tell the audience had a great time. Many thanks to Dan Elliott and everyone else who put it together.

18. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks to TalkBass and everyone that helped bring this event together. It let us poor folks without NAMM passes get a taste of the festivities. Really was blown away by every performance. Each artist had a unique perspective and it was great to hear such a variety of bassists at one show.

Got to meet Eric Cameron, Gabu, JT, and SpankBass (briefly). Even got to check out a couple of JT's monsters. Very sweet basses John! And having never picked up anything beyond a 5er, I was surprised how easy your sevens were to play. Lighter than I expected too. Wish I could've met more TBers.

Cool night and hopefully we'll have another So Cal get together soon!

Joohoon