Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassbone opinions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Aug 8, 2005.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Howdy folks!

I have two amazing sounding basses: A fretless New York Bass Works Concert 6 and a fretted NYBW Deep Jazz 6. They don't need 'tone help'.

What I would like to do is run them both to something like the Radial BassBone straight to the board and/or my Stewart World 1.2 and cabs. What are your opinions of the ToneBone BassBone? I wonder about the functionality, reliability, and the tone. And it needs to be high quality ie low distortion/low noise.

I have a Raven Labs PMBII but it is hissy and I am looking for a floor unit. I like that the BassBone has tone options on the two channels since my fretted and fretless are different voices, as well as the boost switch because I do have opportunities to solo.

All opinions appreciated - both re the BassBone and other units with similar funcionality.

Thanks,
    Tom Halversen

PS - I am posting this under Amps because it would be the preamp/DI for my amplification whether PA and/or my own Stewart and cabs.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

That is exactly how I use mine (except there are 2 MTD's) and find it a wonderful unit. High quality, dead silent and very functional

Mike

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Thanks for that, Mike!

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    My Bassbone works really great, the EQ/filter section are great, it`s quiet, and the DI is also very good.
    It does colour the sound a little, but in a good way.

5. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Sorry to be the bad egg, But did you a/b them using the bassbone than using it without? Big difference. First the bassbone take out some of your output and your tone. I would get a simple loop/true bypass pedal. Get the one where you can put in 2 basses and then go directly into the amp. I think the bassbone is not the best and i would not mess with the tone of your basses. I have one and it going to ebay. I think the eq is bad also for channel 2. I used it for the electric and upright. :crying:

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Absolutely. I really liked it. I did not find the same anomolies that you did. I do agree that the EQ on the 2nd channel is worthless (especially if you have good basses).

I will say, however, that I do not use it with my EA rig, only when going direct into the house system. I find it a MUCH better solution than using the boards preamp. (nothing really compares to my EA gear)

Mike

7. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I was just at the Radial site and it seems the BassBone can't really drive a power amp either.

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you guys think this unit is worth getting at $180 used?

I've always liked the idea of being able to plug two basses in at once and being able to control their respective volumes at my feet and not have to fiddle with my volume knobs on my basses. :D
    I'll probably be sporting 3 basses on tour with me, 2 active, 1 passive. Any thoughts?

9. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    With 3 basses you can plug them all into a boss ls2, footswitch between them and have gain control over 2 of them. Some people complain that the ls2 isn't true bypass but I don't notice any ill effects. I also like to use a volume pedal as the last thing in the effects chain. I usually have the bass volume on full, that way the compressor & filter effects behave predictably. They get a consistent signal and don't change their sound as I turn up/down. No more need to fiddle with the volume knobs either.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you actually done this man or is this just from the tech specs. I thought this pedal was to switch between effects loops. If it'll work this might be a sweet, more affordable solution.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Disagree.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    +1

13. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Yes I've done it, works fine. Just put the ls2 in A->B->Bypass mode, plug in and go. The gain pots go from silence to +20db and work on the loop returns, which is where you plug your basses in. I feel like a broken record mentioning the ls2 all the time but it's just such a useful box.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I've used my BassBone at several gigs going direct into the PA. I really like having the two channels for changing tones quickly. I use Channel 2 to get my more aggressive, puchy sounds for rock, and Channel 1 for the softer ballad stuff. I don't care about the limited EQ on Channel 1, it works fine for the mellower stuff. The boost is great for kicking it up for a second to make your favorite lick stick out a little. No noise, no hiss, it's clean. It's my favorite input device with the possible exception of the U5 (see profile for others I own ... Raven Labs APD-1 on the way).

15. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Im not a fan of the unit but again all ears are different. Is it worth 180 used? With everybody so far claiming it is a great unit sure its worth 180. But again Im not a fan of the unit. I think an a/b/y is best. Keep in mind it is not a true bypass unit either. Some don't mind that. It does have some nice fearures.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's not really a preamp in that sense. I think of it more as an "active A/B".

I use to use it to switch between a bass tuned standard and a bass tuned drop D. The two basses had very different output levels and being able to preset the levels gave me piece of mind. I also used the DI to send some of the bass through the small PA so it would show up in the monitors.

The things I don't like about it:
    • Expensive
    • The loop is not true bypass
    • The channel 1 EQs suck tone

17. I'm getting conflicting information about this point.
    I've seen several sites that list it as a pre amp and DI.

Can it or can it not be used as a pre amp?

I've been toying around with the idea of replacing my BMax
    for one of these, getting rid of my rack, and going with a
    pedalboard set up. Complete with a Focus SA, my wireless,
    and a Boss TU2 pedal tuner. I think that set up along with
    the BassBone would sound great, and be light and portable.
    I would also like to put it all on top of a Schroeder 1210.....
    I am in GASland BIG TIME !

18. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It was not made as a pre amp. And if you use it as you can, blow up you speakers. See, channal 2 has a pre amp ,,,, pre se.... It bypasses your pre amp and acts as a tone unit. Strange right?But its a pretty crappy pre. But what tone will you have for channel one? none. Look at it as a a/b switch that has other features. You can plug in 2 basses. Channel one has no tone control., Channel 2 does and the company suggest to use that channel with a non active instrument. Although you can use it with an active bass also. It will be alittle hotter. You can use it as a DI which i have and its not too bad. Not nearly as good as my Aguilar or TC electronics. Not in its league. It also has a way of combining your effects pedals by using a TRS cable. It has a separate channel output knob and a boost knob that you can use for the effects. I mean for 229 it has alot of features. Again Im not a fan of it but for the price you get alot of features.

19. Could you please explain?

Thank you.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This person does know know what he/she is talking about. Ignore it.

punchclock likes this.