1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassbone vs. SansAmp Programmable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emblymouse, Apr 7, 2006.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I'm wanting to switch between 2-3 different basses live and am interested in these two boxes. I need your IMHO's please, I can't locate these locally to demo and would be buying on faith.

It seems I could use the SansAmp as a 3 way switcher and and be able to balance the outputs/ eq's of my Clevinger, a passive 8 string and an active Lakland and store the settings, do I have that right? Plus dial in distortion for the 8? Plus I can just leave any of the signals straight so my instrument/amp sound is sent?

Has anyone had hands on experience with the Bassbone 2 ch. switcher ? It seems a sweet combination of features but is limited to 2 way switching unless I employ my DOD a/b box in the chain. How is the quality of the eq controls between the two? No overdrive on the BassBone, right? What have I missed as pluses-minuses?

2. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    I've got a Bassbone & I like a lot. Allows me the freedom to use two basses with sperate EQ's. I have a BDDI that I run in the loop from the Bassbone (along w/chorus & flanger). The loop function works fine. Personally, I think feel that the Bassbone is more transparent than the BDDI which I feel does add it's own unique color to your sound (that's not necessarily a bad thing-YMMV).

3. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Thanks for the viewpoint, now 've got a bit more to chew on about the bassbone Ha!. It really seems like a great product. I can see I need to think about what my eventual signal chain could be and how I can address 3 way switching somehow, like maybe my A/B box before the bassbone so I have a straight signal for the upright. My brain gets easily tangled so simplicity is important!

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I don't have a bassbone but I do have a Prog BDDI - works great for me and is useful when switching basses, but I agree that it does affect the tone even when you set it as "flat" as you can. So it depends whether you want that or not, really.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ I have the PDDI and I find that it doesn't affect the tone if you turn off the blend knob.

6. The Sansamp is not a switcher. It has one input. The three footswitches are for sound presets.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ put a mute in front of it and un-plug one bass, then plug the other in.

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    True - I'd forgotten that bit. I always use it with the blend set between 50 and 80%.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Agreed - but I still find it useful when swapping basses.

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yeah, the one input thing ocurred to me today! I was going to check the particulars again. See, this is why I need all your extra brains. I could use my A/B box as an on/off box and then manually plug and unplug. Quieter and faster than what I'm currently doing (no twiddling knobs) but not as slick as the bassbone. Hmmm.

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am using both units.
    The SA is neutral sounding when the blend is 0% and the bass & treble are at 12 o clock!
    I am using it when no effects are called for.

I have been using the BassBone for a long time for switching/levelling/eqing betwen main main bass of the day and some other axe.

Lately I encountered problems with the 2 switches of the BassBone. They cut my signal short from time to time :( I had them checked (and repaired?) at the official service department. Now they do the same again.... Rather annoying for expensive "Radial Engineering" stuff.

12. Had a Bassbone for a while, sold it. The switching capability was nice, but I did'nt think it sounded as good as my BDDI. Did'nt have the clarity I crave.

13. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    You could easily have 3 way switching using the bassbone. Just gotta use an a/b box on either input. You could do the same thing using a BDDI and the bassbone. Put the BDDI into the Bassbone loop and put the A/B box before the BDDI and your third bass uses the BDDI for a pre. This would also have the advantage of giving your third its own distinct flavor because the BDDI does sound different than the Bassbone.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Neither of these units is meant to be a 3-way switcher. There are such things, but I didn't take time to search. You could also think about using a small mixer.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Boss LS-2 works fine as a 3 way switcher and lets you adjust levels.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The EBS MicroBass II is known to be very good for switching between different instruments.

17. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I can see it all a little clearer folks! . My A/B box coupled w/ the programmable SansAmp will give me levelling control over 2 basses like the Bassbone but with bonus EQ options and an extra preset. The Bassbone w/ the A/B box could give me a true 3 way leave 'em plugged set-up. The Bassbone AND the Sans Amp... well that would be ideal now wouldn't it!

18. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I'll check this and the EBS MicroBass unit too. Thanks!

19. jjmf

jjmf Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Edmonton AB Canada
    I had a bassbone - worked well - for all reasons noted- but I often found it did create a signal degradation compared to going direct to the amp - but I still regret parting with it.

Loved being able to switch basses quick by having all plugged in with pre-eq and the tone controls were really very good (ie adjusting the BB's bass/mid/treble seemed to sound better than adjusting pre's in my active basses

- but the cord needs got a bit unruly when adding a 3rd via a/b box etc..

some have noted Sansamp has a "color" to its sound - can anyone describe what that color is/looks like? :)
    ie mid cut? warmth? punch? etc

I'm looking for a new preamp solution for going direct to board (in no amp situations) and more than 1 input as well as multiple eq's (ie like bassbone, or programmable sansamp...sans 2 inputs...) but biggest thing is I want the best possible pass thru signal quality (ie bass to sound as clear and articulate when going thru the preamp/di as when going direct to the bass amp)

any advice?