1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCentral question,...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, Mar 29, 2006.

1. I just got off the phone with Bass Central. I was looking at a bass on their website that was listed as "Retail $2210.00... ...Call Or Email For Price." When I called, the guy told me the price was $2285! I thought that the price was generally supposed to be a bit UNDER retail, not over. So the question is; has anyone had this same experience with them or was this a weird anomaly?:confused:

2. What bass was it? They dont update their site very much. The bass they quoted you may have more options than the one you saw on the site.

3. Call back, explain the anomaly to the person you speak to (I suggest either Perry or Mike, unless you happen to get Beaver himself), politely. Tell them that you're not upset or angry, just confused.

There are two most likely explainations:

1) The price on the website is incorrect (they're website is maintained off-site by people that aren't that aware of the pricing on the instruments sometimes, mistakes are made, innocent ones, of course.)

2) The person you were speaking with made a mistake, either because they were unclear on what you were looking for, or they just plain gave the wrong price. Happens, no one is perfect.

BTW, I'm speaking from experience, I worked at BC for about 5 years. They're good folks, if you go to them without being accusatory, they will get the situation untangled for you quickly. :)

4. It was a Limited Edition Buttercream, Ernie Ball HH Stingray 5. He said that there were "less than 11 made", and they only have 1. Even if it is a rare bass, they knew exactly what it was when they listed it.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  6. Thanks,

I have heard nothing but good things about them. When I was talking to the guy, I was on the website looking at the listing. I informed him about the online price and he had no answer but to tell me once again that the price of that bass was $2285.

I was just kinda suprised that they would put "Call Or Email For Price" if they were just going to tell you the same price that was online anyways.

7. Oh yea, I totally understand that that is their right. I'm not knocking them for that at all.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The reason so few were made is that the cutoff for dealers to order the '05 Limited Edition Buttercream finish was last September and the window to order the new dual HH or HS pickup configurations was only after last Summer's NAMM show in July so there was only about a month for dealers to order dual pickup basses in that finish. We ordered 13 Buttercreams and in hindsight we should have ordered more.

Here's one that even fewer than 11 were made (less than 5 I am told).

SR5 HS Butttercream

IMG_1601.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Holy moly, I paid about 1500 smackers for the same bass.

:D :D :D Its a great bass.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    BTW, if you're not set on the 5er there is an LE HH sterling for sale in the classifieds for about half that amount.

11. Many times that's due to the contract a store will have with a certain company, and that they can't legally print the price either online or in a catalog. EB/MM might have put that clause in their contracts for their limited editions to attract more interest... as if that were needed. :rollno: ;)

12. I have a bass on order with Bass Central and recently bought a combo amp from them. I deal with Perry and the experience has been all good. He's patient with my questions and the prices are great.

Paul Mac

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    just like rickenbacker. they don't allow stores to publish their prices, in both magazines and internet. it gives them a sort of "priceless air", even though they're not really THAT expensive.

14. Did my first visit to Bass Central this past Monday, and they couldn't be more accommodating. Had a great visit!

I had called there before asking for a price on a bass listed on the site, and the bass had been sold...in fact, it's STILL on the Web site, so I can understand Gard's contention that the site's not updated frequently.

Keep in mind that the original Music Man Stingrays (like the one I bought used in 1981 for $250 (yep)) are now going for $1500 to $1800 or more. Limited production runs make for great investments.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've bought several basses and cabinets from BassCentral and will continue to do so when I am able. I have only good things to say about Beaver and the crew at BC. In fact I think I was in the store on Gard's last day because Beaver said that Gard was going to NC. Great guys, great service, great prices.

16. gregjunior

gregjunior

Sep 5, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    I agree, Bass Central is great, when I sent in emails for pricing, Perry was right on top of getting back to me right away, and when I called for prices, I spoke with Beaver on the phone, They seem to be on top of things and I would do business with them.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Who would want a bass in that funny color, anyway? :bag:

18. I've been a Bass Central cutomer for years. My experiences have all been very positive. Great deals, excellent service. I know there is a pretty big disconnect between the inventory and pricing listed on their site and the reality in the store, but it's not a "bait and switch".

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

Well, I keep getting emails from customers wanting to know if I have any Buttercreams left in stock so somebody does.

Like I said, I wish I had ordered more than a baker's dozen because I could have sold twice as many in a heartbeat.

The thing about some of these that will make them valuable collectors down the road is the very low number of some of the new dual pickup models in Buttercream.

20. Not someone with high cholesterol.:D