BassCentre.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paddy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Don't know if this is the right place or not for this kind of thing or not but here goes.

I went to place an online order for some stuff on www.BassCentre.com today. As I was putting in my credit card details I realised that I wasn't on a secure server!!!!!!!!!

I've been a software developer for many years now and I know the risks involved in giving credit card details in clear over the web.

For those who don't know (and I'm not trying to preach!) think of it this way - put all your credit card details on a postcard and post it. You may be lucky and it gets through or you may be unlucky and someone steals the details. Alternatively put your details in a locked envelope that only you and the recipient can open - that's what using a secure site does for you.

You can tell your on a secure site when you enter card details by ensuring a padlock is displayed on the status bar of your browser or check the URL in the address bar - it should start with https instead of http ('s' for secure)

I'm not affiliated with any store at all and I'm in no way having a go at the store or their owners - just passing on some info - I hate for someone to place an order and end up with problems.

To be fair I talked to Dan (manager) at the Bass Centre who was very interested. I may be I'm wrong but I'm not so sure - I'll let you know one way or the other - I believe their web guy is getting back to me.

2. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Thanks Paddy thats much appreciated, by me and everyone im sure. I placed an order with them 2 weeks ago and i wasnt aware of this:meh: .Wether right or wrong, i will be more aware next time i use my credit card. ;)

Andy..

3. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Only fair to point this out seeing as I raised it in the first place.

Just been on the site now and it appears they have finally got their act in gear and now operate secure transactions when you purchase goods online.

When you checkout your transferred to a secure server so all is now well.

And to re-iterate - I am in no way connected with the company.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021