1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BassCliff needs a sub!!

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by BassCliff, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

Please check out this CL ad:

Bass player needed for working country band

Please spread the word in the LA/OC/IE/SD areas

As you know, I've been working with the True Willie Band while still trying to cover all of the dates for the KRB. Both band leaders have been doing their best to work around each other's schedules but it's getting more difficult as they both get into their busy seasons.

I'm trying to help Kelly find a sub for me. This sub position could grow into a full-time position as True Willie gets busier and I have to bow out of more Kelly gigs. Kelly will not book a gig if I can't make it. This puts the whole band out of work and I'd rather not see that happen. I'm not really quitting band but, in the long run, it may serve the KRB better to find a full-time replacement so that the band can continue to work as much as they want without worrying about the availability of their bass player.

The successful candidate will be able to sing lead and harmonies as well as play a variety of new country, vintage and classic country, some classic rock and pop. The band books itself as a country band but actually plays a wide variety of music. The successful candidate will have a deep repertoire, and/or learn the band's repertoire, and be prepared to sing lead on up to five songs a set, plus harmonies on everything else.

I'm sure you've seen the videos I've posted but feel free to check out my Youtube channel where I've collected many KRB performances.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send a private message or just post here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
    Twocan, Mike N, okcrum and 18 others like this.
  2. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    And here I was, hoping you'd cover airfare from Hartford CT...:D

BassCliff likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Y'know, I kept wondering how long it was going to be before I saw this thread considering how many gig reports of the KRB and TWB I've had the pleasure of reading here. Seems like both have been deservedly successful. So it was only a matter of time.

@BassCliff - guess we're not gonna get our regular dose of KR eye candy for much longer, huh? :crying: (Kidding btw. I'm sure it'll all work out for the best for both bands.) :thumbsup:

Aberdumbie and BassCliff like this.
  4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    If they can cover travel from Seattle, WA, I do a lot of fly-in dates with country artists like www.darcicarlsonmusic.com, dakotapoorman.com, etc, and could handle the book no problem.

Edit: Poop, I am not a strong singer. Bass (upright or electric) and harmonies, no problem. Lead vox on anything - no bueno.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    BassCliff likes this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

While I'm sure you guys could cover the gig, Kelly pays well, and we've worked up to 15 dates a month during the busy season, I'm afraid airfare is not in the budget. But if you know any local guys in Southern California please let them know about this gig. It's pretty sweet.

BassCliff

johnnyplaysbass likes this.
  6. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    How well is "well"? Round-trip from SEA to SFO (presuming that's what you mean by 'So. Cal') is about $150/pop, $200 if flying Virgin Air or some other non-budget airline. If you're pulling $2k/gig, that's a no-brainer. Flying with a bass guitar (and/or a spare) doesn't scare me, I'm used to using a tiny (Trace Elliot or PJB) amp and DI'ing into the mains, and I've got my own in-ears. If she otherwise likes my playing, and pays on time, I wouldn't mind eating the cost of airfare up front.

BassCliff likes this.
  7. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    Cliff one very important piece missing from the ad is "Successful candidate must post detailed gig reports on TalkBass.com, including food and crowd photos" :laugh:

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Cliff -
    I've pinged my buddies to find out if there is someone they can recommend. I'll let you know if I get any good leads.

Chris

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    BassCliff likes this.
  9. SV777

SV777

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    I'm not sure why. I feel a lil bummed your leaving the KRB.
    Your detailed reports make us feel like we are doing the gigs with you.
    Thats a sweet gig but I guess TWB is even sweeter !!!
    Onward and upward. Best of luck to you!

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wait, BassCliff NOT in the Kelly Rae Band? Won't that make hell freeze over or chickens fall from the sky or something?

11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose the Willie band over the KRB?

Feel free to tell me to mind my own business of course.

Jeff Elkins, bassbully and BassCliff like this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dang, just read the actual ad. Five figures a year per player? Why don't I get craigslist ads for bands like that where I am?

13. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If I was anywhere near good enough, I'd consider moving there for that gig.

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Whaaaaa???...:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:....

Say it ain't so.....:nailbiting:

bassbully, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  15. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Probably something to do with this song:

Here $he comes now $ayin' money money
    Shoot 'em down turn around come on money
    Hey $he give me love and I feel all right now
    You gotta to$$ and turn
    And feel all right, yeah I feel all right
    I said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Or in other words, why get PAID when you can get paid MORE! True Willie seems to be a national act while KRB is a regional act. Not to disparage KRB, but move on appears to mean more growth and opportunity for BC.

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Good luck Cliff.

Fat Freddy, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  17. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Yeah, things could get dicey for sure. Thinking about switching all my investments to gold bars and hiding them under my house just in case :woot:

dbase, nixdad, hrodbert696 and 5 others like this.
  18. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Best of luck to ya', my friend! (I'd audition, but I'm on the wrong coast, I can't sing, hate to learn new material, plus I have to be in bed by 9 pm.)

dbase, nixdad, OldPlucker and 4 others like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

I see a lot of potential with TW, more shows, bigger venues, fun travel, etc. I can see his schedule growing. Who doesn't want to work less and make more? But I really don't like seeing the KRB lose a gig because I can't make it. I want to do right by them. We've had some great times over the last (almost) six years. They are good folk and I enjoy working with them. A new opportunity came along and I want to have some fun with it. Sometimes you just want to do something different.

Thank you! I hope this works out well for everyone.

BassCliff

nixdad, hrodbert696, Oddly and 8 others like this.
  20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    What about the day job when your on an out of town TW gig ... Hope you have lots of vacation and sick days accumulated.

nixdad, BurnOut and BassCliff like this.