1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff, Nixdad & McG - the Tres Bassmigos Ride Again - Puesto

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Oct 13, 2018.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone!

Today was one of those special days where the calendar Gods were smiling, and the Tres Bassmigos were able to find an open date to get together again and break bread. This was the 2nd time we've been able to make this happen, and hope to have the opportunity to get together again for lunch soon. Here's the post of our original adventure which included burgers and date shakes overlooking the California coast from 2017: BassCliff, Nixdad and McG - Tres Bassmigos at Ruby's Shake Shack

It's always a special day when bass players can get together. Today's choice for lunch was Puesto in Irvine, a restaurant known for it's gourmet street tacos that currently has 5 locations in southern California.

The company I've worked for over the past 10 year held our annual conference in San Diego for many years, and we'd take clients to dinner at that Puesto during the event. Everyone who tried it loved the food sooooo much, that they would head to Puesto as many times as they could during their stay. Here's a picture of that San Diego location:
    20140204_rnld_puesto_sd_0016b.jpg

We're fortunate that Puesto has added a few locations further north over the past few years, including 2 locations in Irvine. Cliff and I live in the western part of what is called the "Inland Empire," which is about 40 or so miles east of Los Angeles. Grant lives in Orange County, and was only about 10 minutes away from the Puesto Park Place location where we chose to meet.

sc-6-map.jpg.png

Today was one of the rare days where we had liquid sunshine. We had a hot year here in So Cal, so the rain was a welcome respite. We were NOT going to be deterred by a bit of dampness. Here's the view as I was leaving home to pick up Cliff.
    View attachment 3181891

The drive to Irvine took us about 45 minutes as we headed south down the 57 freeway, then to the 5, 55, 405 and then off at Jamboree. We had the San Gabriel mountains behind us (although they were behind the clouds,) and passed by Angel Stadium where The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play (their just the Angels to us locals,) and the Honda Center (formerly known as the Arrowhead Pond) where the Anaheim Ducks call home. Here is a stock photo of the "Big A" at Angel Stadium.
    20140702-0183_Angel_Stadium.jpg
    GO DODGERS!

Cliff and I arrived first, where he chose to enjoy a cold one:
    IMG_2715.JPG

They kindly brought us some chips & salsa:
    IMG_2716.jpg

After just a few minutes of waiting, the handsome McG joins us at the table:
    IMG_2717.JPG
    These boys don't yet know what a treat they're in for...

Here's the taco portion of the menu:
    o.jpg

Besides KILLER tacos, their side dishes are to die for. We ordered their special lime infused rice, grilled corn & black beans today. My description does not do the food justice.

Their plates include 3 tacos of your choice, and all sides are ala carte. We all ordered our tacos, and were presented with a veritable cornucopia of lusciousness:
    IMG_2718.JPG

Besides killer ingredients, what makes their tacos special are the blue corn tortillas, and the burnt cheese (queso) jacket which lovingly envelopes most of their primary entrees. I ordered the filet, tamarindo shrimp & surf and turf (lobster and filet) tacos (the surf and turf is part of their "secret" menu.) I'm a picky meat and potatoes type of guy, which is why my tacos don't have the exotic toppings featured on Cliff & Grant's tacos.

Here's a close up shot of the queso envelope which hides the tasty treasures inside:
    IMG_2718-2.jpg

Here's a couple of hungry guys who can't wait to eat:
    IMG_2719.JPG

Here's those same hungry guys who are now slightly annoyed because I had them pose for another photo before they could dig in. Please note the dynamic, action packed angle!
    IMG_2720.JPG

Needless to say, I think Cliff and Grant were impressed and thoroughly enjoyed their meals.

For the next 2 hours (which flew by too quickly,) we were able to get caught up on gigs, gear, family, girls at BassCliff's gigs, food, Talkbass, the other girls at BassCliff's gigs and more (honestly, we're all happily married guys, but JEEZ, Cliff''s cup runneth over!) One of the key points of discussion was about how we all enjoy reading the "Bass Humor and Gig Stories," section in TB (which is what has brought us all together in the first place,) and all of the posts from across the country and the world. We're fortunate that we live close enough to make this happen in person, and look forward to getting together again soon.

Here's the final group selfie Grant headed off to rehearsal with the Goat Hill Gamblers, and Cliff and I headed north:
    IMG_2721.JPG

Since our last 2 get togethers have been in Orange County, Grant mentioned he'll gladly make the drive north next time. I wonder what will be on the menu...?

A special shout out to Gary (@Holdsg) who was scheduled to join us today but had to cancel due to a family obligation, and to Bill (@dbase) who gives us all hell if we don't include food shots in our reports. Many more of you lurkers of the low end were mentioned lovingly today as well (as far as you know.) We wish you all a great weekend and full bellies.

Until next time,
    Nixdad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. I’m damn jealous. That is all.

Much respect!!!

3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    It's a sure fire good time when bass players get together over great food. Thanks for organizing it Chris. :)

Yes, it was a taste treat of a day. Simply the best and most unique tacos I've ever had. If any So Cal'ers are close to a Puesto I would recommend checking it out. :thumbsup:

Good food, good company, then I got to go play music. Yep, I had a good day. :cool:

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

I was telling Mrs. BassCliff about the place and now she wants to go. We'll have a date night soon.

Excellent suggestion for lunch. I'm glad to get together with you guys any time. I'll start on my journal. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

ak56, wintremute, Fat Freddy and 11 others like this.
  5. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ha - great report! Tell me that someone had the grilled striped bass?!

JimK, McG, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    There you go again.. teasing me with the food! ;)

I keep telling Mrs Dbase that we have to get out asses out there and meet you guys.
    Its' on my bucket list. So she says OK we can go for a week. You can hang with your bass friends, I will sit in a hotel room doing crossword puzzles.

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It's the music which brings us together...

... the food can sometimes create it's own music, but we're usually home, by then...

... great job, guys! Thanks for sharing, Nixie!

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good times!

9. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That’s a Bass hang I could get next to. drool The next time Kris (you met her, Cliff) and I go to a MLB game, it will probably be an Angeles game next season. Next time I’m in OC for a day or so, I’ll message. It’s cool to meet people from the forums. :woot:

You guys should start a little all Bass side gig. The Bassmigos would be a good name. :thumbsup:

Fat Freddy, Sore Thumb, McG and 2 others like this.
  10. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Those cochinita pibil tacos sound intriguing. I've had that dish at a local restaurant (in non-taco form) and it's all that. Nice contrast to the typical Tex-Mex thing most restaurants around here do.

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I've just had breakfast but somehow...some way...I'm...HUNGRY. :D

12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for checking out the post, @richntiff!

My pleasure, Grant.

It was a good day for all of us!

We're counting on it, Cliff! Inquiring minds want to know...

That would be great, Bill. It will be optimal if it works out to be a week when several of us have gigs lined up so you can catch some music as well!

You bet, Spidey!

...and our first song will be "Big Bottom!"
    Spinal-Tap-Big-Bottom1-690x447.jpg

Yeah, Puesto really is a unique dining experience. Between all the times I've gone and all of the business or social dinners I've attended there over the years, I've never heard anyone say "yeah, it was alright." Everyone who's eaten there seems to be a big fan afterward and this becomes a dining destination. Truly enjoyable.

MCF, Fat Freddy, McG and 3 others like this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It can be done:

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting thought, Bunk!
    Our first little tune is a mashup you should all recognize called "On the Road Again to Penny Lane at the Pipeline," or, "Another Picture Perfect Day On the Road Again to Penny Lane." :roflmao:

BTW, cool to see Dave Pomeroy here. He's a very nice guy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  15. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    How cool ARE you guys, anyway??!! That was outstanding, I'l tell you. I mean, imagine three (competing?) bass players, striking up a friendship, going out to eat someplace nice, and that's what we have here!! Thanks for posting, say hi to "y'all", and hope someday soon, to be able to join you! (But it's not very likely...)

16. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    You know, it's sad to say that despite living in an area with plenty of musicians, I have no friends whom are bass players... PLENTY of drummers though!

I'd love to hang out with other bassists, it just doesn't happen for me. :/

Good for you guys, that looked like a nice little hang - and the food looks otherworldly good!

17. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Great thread! Thanks for the gtg review!

Traveled to San Diego for a conference this spring—we were directed to Aqui es Texcoco for authentic Mexican, and were thoroughly wowed. The huitlacoche (wrapped in a fried cheese taco) was a unique and amazing. Can’t get that anywhere in Tennessee. The farmers here would freak. :)

Adding Puesto to my list for the next west coast visit!

Jeff

nixdad, Kitsapbass, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  18. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    If Blue Oyster Cult can do it (3 guitars and a bass), I'm sure the Bassmigos can do it (3 basses and a guitar)!

blue-oyster-cult-1982.jpg

nixdad, Kitsapbass, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  19. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    um...keys?

20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Bill. Just tell your wife there's LOTS to do here besides hanging with other bass players. :) I mean, really, after a day or two with us you would be happy to take her to Disneyland ;)

Truth! :thumbsup:

Please include me in that road trip Tony. Baseball fan here. I'm not far from the stadium. It would be great to meet you. :)

You beat me to it Chris. :laugh:

As long as Cliff does all the singing... ;)

Cool Dan? I dunno. Just some low end lunkheads enjoying swapping stories.

If the stars ever align and you make it here it would be awesome. But all of us in the wide world of bass are all together in spirit. :)

As a Mexican food addict I can't imagine living someplace without a wide array of choices. A fellow Mexi lover moved to London several years ago. The choices are really bleak there. :laugh:

Played with the left hand only. :D

(BTW, we missed you Gary. :))

Sore Thumb, BassCliff, MCF and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020