BassCliff @Sean Brass Memorial Benefit Concert

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Hello fellow musicians,

This Sunday (12/21/14) I will be playing for a benefit concert for a musician friend <--Facebook link> who died suddenly a couple weeks ago. He left behind a fiancee and young daughter so all his musician friends are getting together to raise donation money and raffle stuff.

There will be ten local bands performing at this benefit and three of them have asked me to play with them because their regular guys can't make it. I've got some tunes to learn but it's for a good cause.

If any of you So. Cal. guys are anywhere near Norco, the benefit will be at the Waterwheel Saloon starting at 1pm til 6pm. Your support would be appreciated. The venue is also donating 25% of its receipts to the Sean Brass <--Facebook link> Memorial Fund. So if you just show up and have a beer, you'll be helping out.

I hope you don't mind that I post this here. For any of you nearby, this will be a good time to not only express your condolences but also network with a TON of musicians in the So. Cal. area.

This is Sean and his accordion after our inagural Buckaroo Strangers gig.

TBS-Winchester-111013-004_zps3ca7337b.jpg

And after the shindig I'll follow up with pictures and commentary. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Some of thoose guys look sorta familiar...

BassCliff likes this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That's going on, probably right now as I type this way away from either Northern or Southern California. All the best to his widow and daughter.

BassCliff likes this.
  4. Hi,

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for Sean's family. He left behind his fiancee and teenage daughter. He's worked with a ton of musicians over the years and quite a few of his friends traveled from far away to be here for his memorial fundraiser. It was a good day.

Of course it all starts with the load-in. Jason and Arnie are getting set up.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-001.jpg

Arnie was the organizer and his band, The Buckaroo Strangers, was the host band, providing the back line, etc.

Their regular bass player, Joseph, couldn't be there at the start of the engagement so they asked me to fill in. This is Joseph's rig. It sounded great.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-002.jpg

This is Joe during sound check. (Yes, a "Joe" and a "Joseph" in this band.) He will settle down later once we start playing. You also see Paul on the steel, Jason on drums, and Kevin doing the sound.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-003.jpg

You might remember Jeff. He works with me in the Kelly Rae Band. Jeff has been covering some of Sean's gigs since Sean left us a few weeks ago.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-004.jpg

Here's Joe and Arnie starting to get serious about sound check. The show was supposed to start at 1pm and we were cutting it close.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-005.jpg

Kellye Huff joins us for sound check.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-006.jpg

And a quick selfie just before we get started.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-007.jpg

Changing bands is always pandemonium. But Arnie had organized well and kept downtime to a minimum.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-008.jpg

This is a band called "Dawson's Gang" on stage entertaining the crowd.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-010.jpg

These were most of the donated items for the silent auction, Fender, Celestion, and individuals donated some very nice items to help raise money.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-009.jpg

This is a touring band called The Doo Wah Riders. Not everyone could make it so Paul and I filled in for their performance.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-011.jpg

Ken Leibenson of the Doo Wahs had written a very touching and fitting song called "Let's Have A Little Talk". It's a song he wrote after his wife died about having a little talk with God.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-013.jpg

Here's Paul, of The Buckaroo Strangers, and Lindey, of the Doo Wahs, during the set.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-014.jpg

Here's the whole ensemble together. Their drummer is Phil. (Ba dum pum tish!)

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-016.jpg

There were a lot of supporters in the club. Sean was loved by many.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-019.jpg

Rodeo Revival hits the stage to do our set. This is Chelsea and I having a quick selfie.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-017.jpg

Chelsea and her dad, Jesse, have a good time performing together.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-020.jpg

Their guitar player, Justin, cuts up with Jeff.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-021.jpg

Here Joe is photobombing the picture between Jim and I. Joe sat in with Rodeo Revival because Daniel couldn't be there.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-022.jpg

The day featured a few acoustic singer/songwriter ensembles.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-023.jpg

I think that's 20 pictures. Just a couple more to finish up the day.

BassCliff

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  5. Hi,

This is Brad Johnson and his band Killin' Time. These guys are in the rotation at The Ranch too.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-024.jpg

At the end of the scheduled acts was Chelsea, from Rodeo Revival, Antoinette, from the Michael Hart Band, and Kellye all on stage with The Buckaroo Strangers for a couple of Christmas songs.

SeanBrass-Memorial-122114-026.jpg

After the scheduled bands performed there was an open jam for a couple of hours. It was a long day but everyone had a great time, raised a lot of money, and shard a lot of memories. I love to see the community come together to support one another.

I wish everyone a Merry and Blessed Christmas and a Joyous and Prosperous New Year.

BassCliff

jjk2007, TheOxRocks, Haji and 5 others like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Cliff, Nice pics as usual, but I guess the kitchen was closed. Just sayin.

Haji and hrodbert696 like this.
  7. Hi Mr. dbase,

Sorry about that. The venue had a really nice buffet but I forgot to take a picture. Drat. ;)

BassCliff

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It's really sad to have to do benefits for those who we have lost. I did once years ago for a young fellow musician who died in a car accident while returning from a Guitar center training.

But it's cool to see how the power of music and fellow musicians can come together for a cause .Music can help those in morning heal...it truly can.

BassCliff likes this.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Fantastic to see such a show of support. Great gig!

BassCliff likes this.
  10. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend BassCliff...

Dan Knowlton and BassCliff like this.
  11. Isn't it great when you can combine something really fun with something that does so much good? Thanks for sharing, Cliff!

Dan Knowlton and BassCliff like this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

Good to see so many to come out and support family in need. Good to see so many gifts being shared .

BassCliff likes this.
  13. Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that The Ranch also had a benefit for Sean's family. The owner promised to match any and all donations collected up until Christmas Eve. The club collected over $1900 so Andrew rounded it up and made the total $4000. What a classy and generous guy. Meet Andrew. <PDF file

Thank you all for your thoughts and good wishes.

BassCliff

14. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Andrew sure seems like a really great fellow, not to diminish any of the other participants.
    I'll send out a prayer for the family.

All the best.

BassCliff likes this.
  15. Hi,

As a final note, I just got an email from Arnie, bandleader for The Buckaroo Strangers, who organized the benefit(s). The final total between The Ranch donations, the Waterwheel donations, the silent auctions, donations through the memorial Facebook page, etc, was over $23,000. This went a long way to help Sean's family through the holidays, with final expenses, and other obligations. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

TBS-Winchester-111013-018_zps0f88d02b.jpg

BassCliff

vmabus and s0c9 like this.
  16. Nice job!

BassCliff likes this.