BassCliff w/ANB at Backyard Grad party, 052518

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, May 27, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello defenders of the lower realms,

It was a pleasant, if cool, day here in Southern California, where all the women are strong, all the men good looking, and all the children are above average. We played an above average backyard party hosted by a very nice couple that loves the band and have known Arnie since their daughter, Madison (the grad/birthday girl), was a student at 'Rock Stars of Tomorrow' where Arnie used to teach.

My gig commute started off pretty nice. Here's the view heading into Riverside County from a transition overpass to the Pomona Freeway heading east into the IE.

Mc7BGCYdJQG-zmCmNTxAHNl25YdRVcJ4p_RRwRlVrn8b3YEI1Famh4LfYp2XiEYIa54ZUMLeIRnggonbX6=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It was another "May gray" day, a typical weather pattern for this time of year caused by low pressure systems in the area that aren't enough to cause rain, just clouds and overcast. Don't worry, we'll be complaining about the heat soon enough.

What did I say about traffic? It seems I hit the iron curtain when I got to the outskirts of Riverside. It was thick and crawling almost all the way to the gig from there due to the holiday traffic. Ick! It eased up a bit as I drove by March Air Base. This is a view of the Air Museum from the highway. March is a reserve base now. It was a Strategic Air Command base when I was stationed there as a young airman in the late 70s-early 80s.

_pnIzpxc8m1u6fKKEWvHQp3p7RHRksNQDuUGQk7CDb4u-eMS2TPv4gPbzkPcWViNzdlkWbkUCw6iBzkM7I=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I arrive at my destination in a newer development south of Lake Perris and March.

zpG9cBSvxNcKqYbJz62VYCYGxNwq7Jy_ufhlj0yEfVoxPF-pMCXJx0-Lmh92RGDfEQ_5ST-7h6_V8mqvjX=w1062-h796-no.jpg

As I wheel my gear in through the house, it was the only way into the back yard, I notice some of the refreshments and appetizers are all ready for the party.

nCa8vf_NR_kyjcaSIN9ponmlmV-qB9yI58cTlU_vq3RfF-5M-3W-6BqdF28a8YAw8BMdwGEuxaYsNsYDFT=w1062-h796-no.jpg

d1FxbDzH1oRrDvPrChEo_qnCk1T7kuAi6xYcqMokiuXsns7BgE9kvde9cQjm2MuLnAkxfIoHwuP0dlwfmm=w1062-h796-no.jpg

That's Wayne, our host, father of the grad, talking to Arnie. Arnie arrived shortly after I did and we decided to set up next to the jacuzzi. We had considered letting Jason use the jacuzzi as his drum riser.

xVOakK5NvEMaiuEFQXZ6yecTwWkAujYfqPRe_8ZV5piK8R7P2EsnMiKkK8Re2YQ7XbUee_LQ-09DZe5JAZ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Jason and John arrive and the setup dance continues.

SWoq9eDd7Z9GmiYZHB5nl6EX_pmosE0-FPM-bVT8NtzIg3kXqkHK4-Is02a_D4aoCth9IfcyajnUfSyPw8=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Randy arrives and assembles his weapon of musical destruction. The underworkings of pedal steel guitar have always been a mystery to me.

InYClLvom95UHMUzh0MkglqDxK0ydJ935VYVOkI7FEd-tXtFsTv3E2b1-hFJ1kqnXlwvPh6L224nPxkG_jq=w597-h796-no.jpg

This is Eli, our taco chef. He worked hard this evening and made us very happy. Tacos in my tummy!

VdaggyE03oib9duaBIGcy2ECiKj1MqJXby6yXIyYmkZX4ATeZ2RatOGobws1oXJktEqS_Z-13Qe5AqGc2t=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Our hosts Wayne and Robin made sure we had a large variety of brews to sample. I thought this Kilt Lifter was quite interesting.

0YeJOlqnm0uBjTmB2HlkOiaZqZ-rInGN2CXylHs2AY2rufoKtthDS5WrMy1bPq8Hf2U02b3XuKlqcaT-tP=w1062-h796-no.jpg

John was our sound man and our keyboard player again today. He borrowed one of my spare wireless routers so that he could run the sound from his tablet.

gra5EyziUsozX0OtkeSNN7AeYBlCKlrFsHX9tFOPp-Bt2K5Nku7WNaGZgl7qSKBAQyeoV9aSSMs6Q-XMpw=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The subwoofer was right next to me up front. I didn't have to use a lot of stage volume at all. It looks like Randy and Arnie are almost ready to sound check.

8azKI2M0c3T46PMq0zZ5FYjEwV7Ps_0o4NO06MM3k_iaLyMzG7_XD72oButa43reeuBZIKnaMOZ2G8XUSo=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Hey look! The talent is here! The lovely Amanda joins us for an evening of merry music making.

04gGeSN6uSaIUZT1m_Ml15vQlrWO5nqFqNOEH60K0wtYDlxXyCgypjJw7Wl_lb0Lnd6mXh8Bl_7yhJ346i=w1062-h796-no.jpg

This is John's digital mixer there on top of the sub. I was worried about hum but everything worked just great. You also see my small rig back there by Jason's small kit.

gKRG9VAAMxqZ2i7iFyl8lHTmnCTi6yBYg3HGXUX4ImH6StBfY3AqPzh9LRdVE-1AV2zS1a0LIxoG5MSbJk=w1062-h796-no.jpg

This is Amanda saying, "Test. Test. Check one, two, three."

zNtn0lDNc4XHLuN3u6cKOvzP-H_-hNU3hDS_fR6fch2rJIGWOmvLI7-m9V6DS-QPhlHOtC9PtLRZLENMR2=w1062-h796-no.jpg

John stands in the middle of the back yard mixing to make sure all the neighbors can hear us well enough.

vKid_MyZa2v6IrNOFoGRsn5zsfZCpp9Jsot6ISWEnccdtqMxQA8TkWuqLL_JSzWfdzM3hOm1HDeCNF0eLw=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Mrs. Arnie joins the party.

PF43w0lw-T5UKDHNJbxzMHlK_Upor8HRIYyZivWGk4FPZ1xqhd82Iv-URcVoeALCO6KkZpGimjsYdJmiyK=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I'm not sure if the crowd is waiting for the band or waiting for the tacos. Probably both.

iLkJtzcAHKVaZP6gDQDukTVCJa5rb4NngOw599M3EzO7-X1u8ME6jItbxB-F7FcX8v9v-PpKj3z-i0JEde=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We sound checked a couple of songs. Since Madison, the grad, is singing with us this evening we made sure she got a sound check too.

dyW9gQWuNImqsFhpI3Hcy6WCsFSlvxQYcI9riT4JNs6JRqh08r8e59Mrg2Kz1nvUGuHDmUp3MNeMqlRAN8=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I'll be back in the next post to finish up. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

We are all set up and sound checked. We take a moment to put on our cowboy clothes, grab another beer, and get ready to put on the show.

-kWkbmHGTPXaksRYlhMYsMLRyfRXibZhpg2J3_KPTzfhMPW2XpBOcC0gUlq1KiHTwmRM9bDR5hDUhx37Pr=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It looks like John is ready. He's got his tablet in hand, waiting to make adjustments with the monitors or the house mix.

Uw_nWb7wnNNvAzdwMvIITcMRZ3-_SdMdpVRcDTxzNW5Hjko0WQtGxyu2unkpNNxti-kkQfjxTOQBg4Q8WJ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Stage right, Amanda, Arnie, and Randy are ready to get this party started.

jFYUXhIsR9-waUBs09e49_fHXDOk4B8n_3jaFQ4vj__8BeUQOANVhee2_Cy09UUS5mi_ehB5-4zVnZLxJo=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Jason is ready too.

QfBqef0QqIRNpG_L_XntAIvhNe7GAupPcjpsxhvdGlZRBzn6ZesOULSRjgPjkbS4rVB9s0R6e7GV3LCemj=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We're really having a good time now! The evening started off cool and got cooler as the sun went down.

Cye0wO32MS1tcqz9uZVsddRb-9hUAa0IHqAKmW1Kb8u4APZg8UBNP-CULVUDtJGk6wDAksrxsbKdE8kky8=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Arnie says, "We're gonna let Cliff sing one and then take a break." Oh boy! That means tacos!

WgBc61aMP_d8gGgUCDB4A-MtL1PdVv2iez3oEnUI1TlFZ0MNLOw-PU8zJ_VV5jLoGbqlo2Y1s8W2lL8UHT=w1062-h796-no.jpg

And here's the band, doing what musicians love to do, eat tacos.

5YBKq_3D4x1NAFQN_Ef6n9WYaZK9HbDnwGQvC2-8FhVpzxs0I52CuMkpQjFyjXacAqO8sMr6luwb4l4t5I=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I had a couple of chicken tacos and a couple of carne asada tacos and another beer that I've never had before.

wG2Bm5rVPKV_svEEZDhc50QrTjwTgMbm6MeTw2ITzqj05wzvQbTc3nrmDRsHn70t0GkAQwlKMHzWEHwkK6=w1062-h796-no.jpg

And these were just a few of the desserts. I didn't get a picture of the strawberry cheese cake or chocolate cherry cake.

dQF4s5QSQoIM8tHToPR2GAYWKNxC6wqVqEw_XJ_wcJWEjzrxn8sALe2br0MMr-9CP27QJU0jqLxJuLDX_K=w1062-h796-no.jpg

An then our grad got up to perform a set with us. Can you imagine? Her parents love her so much that they got her a band for her graduation party. Madison did a great job singing everything from Loretta Lynn to Maroon 5.

RR_FTJHu_fwNeridIWZvybIhgLpsR9nYZ-qZUhhGINQW2mS-0j6ASju-cYQan-tlDEFIl_J32bm1Rnw35y=w1062-h796-no.jpg

When the sun went down it got a little chilly but we kept the music hot.

WzJyzCW6x5iqLNoHiO5L9HvcVebrPlS7IPLSz40G3DDxR6Hto0pPBiH2D1J5wehqUDnwSBZZnZEhb_mNc2=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Madison got back up to sing a couple of duets with Amanda.

Za4pj7LPy5gHG2WwUIthOhjuG4AHRvrxkq0JKliMR2Cqp-WE7g-yGmrf1p6qCTUXOaQR07jEDYrw5UJenC=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The cold was relieved by sipping from the mason jar full of moonshine. We passed around the jar until everyone had a taste. It was good stuff! Wayne is really into (legal) moonshine.

wY3Ql7T2uHdu5FUv2_ZNRGbHbv03Bm-J_UzcqNrEM-WLwkC8qSpLzEOODdwsuSiSrtGu7z04uV3d0Ny2tj=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The party is winding down as we play right up to 10pm. That's when the cops usually get called.

OhX0kZxNSePXa03gn40u8Zaa3Gkw-lwJLHbZu4wGeGQgN_nDOEGnfCi4rwvTSoNleHXGX4I9hondf3pr5x=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Amanda sings the last tune, "Here For The Party". It was a great party.

7HRl5Fuiqs4D7yZ28j-kvMk27eTDB_p71ul61-wcRzSqh8ofauz-ztVQbeXM1ANrDBZ150N1a47VHdSlLP=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then it's time for the tear-down dance. The band hauls a lot of stuff around.

Cva1TBkh-cAqoZwCp3zZLAx3S5oV-FWxT-nW5IWZ3OJkTd2IsCLd57yE5P4eB1JvahxxwYmRUVaYgy2-g1=w1062-h796-no.jpg

After helping everyone load out, one more piece of strawberry cheesecake, a pit stop, I was on my way home and arrived about 12:30am. That's not too late, I guess. I made it to church on time the next morning, barely.

Next weekend Johnny and I will be in Austin with True WIllie playing for another private party at the 3Ten, next to The W. That should be a nice gig. If any of your Austin TB folk are around, let me know. I should have time to hang. Until then....

BassCliff

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Excellent report, as always! Not quite the same as Coto de Caza, but then again, what is?

It seems that Jason occasionally has more electronics on stage than drums. As a drummer in a past life, I take extraordinary interest in such matters. Just curious: What does everything do? Is he triggering samples or something?

BassCliff likes this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I very much enjoy reading your gig reports. You certainly get around! Thank you for your service, by the way. I retired from March ARB, and the AFRES in 99. C-141 FE.

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Tacos, Tacos tacos... I love Tacos. Nice yard gig.... we had chicken gizzards at my yard gig. yuck. ;)

mwbonsall, Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Mmm.
    Tacos.

dbase and BassCliff like this.
  7. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    There's a lot to like in those photos, especially the beers and Amanda!

dbase, mwbonsall and BassCliff like this.
  8. Another great gig report. Thanks, I really enjoy your reports and keep thinking of how to post some pics from one of our gigs.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Thanks for stopping by the back yard and getting in on the fun. :)

This party was every bit as fun as the Coto de Caza birthday party. It was a little smaller party but the beers and tacos were just as good. Our hosts made sure we felt at home.

Jason uses his laptop and that Roland Octopad thingy to do all of the above. He's got all the sound effects and samples, plus he uses background tracks on about half our tunes. I think the Octopad triggers the playback from the laptop. He'll hit a pad to start it and count us in. Sometimes the band will do something weird, an extra solo or a dropped verse, and he'll have to hit the pad to turn off the track. I keep telling him we don't need all that but I think he's addicted. Sometimes we'll have seven instrumentalists in the band, plus the keyboard player has FOUR keyboards, and he still wants to use the tracks. I guess he just has to hear that 2nd mandolin part.

Thank you for your service as well. I'll bet you've got a few stories to tell. :)

You can't go wrong with tacos. Except maybe chicken gizzard tacos.

Another vote for tacos!

And don't forget the tacos!

Thank you!

I usually resize/resample my pictures so the file size is smaller. They load faster that way. Then I upload them to an online storage space and share them from there. You can also upload pictures directly to the forum but then the raw file size is in the megabytes and can take a while to load on slower connections. My pictures are usually around 200K in size at 1200x800 or so. 1024x768 looks good too.

BassCliff

mikewalker, nixdad, kobass and 3 others like this.
  10. I was wondering what you were doing for lights, as I didn't see any set up. I've had to tear down in the dark and do an idiot check with a flashlight just to make sure nothing was left behind. Congrats to the graduate!

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We didn't have any lights for this gig, just whatever was in the back yard. Had I known I could've brought something. But our host had a worklight that we pointed at the stage for the last set and as we tore down. We muddled through. I also have a couple of really good clip-on flash lights that I use to load out of dark places.

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, mikewalker and nixdad like this.
  12. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    Make sure your neighbors are on the top of the invite list - somehow the cops don't get called (& the ones you don't want to come tend not to show anyway). :thumbsup:

Sore Thumb, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  13. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    I'm not surprised you opened an Extrovert IPA ;)

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  14. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    My gosh; I've played backyard parties where we've needed literally three outlets to plug everything in. I can't even imagine how you could power a band this size without Arnie having a trailer full of plutonium parked at the curb.

And you run the gambit from full-scale professional high-power gigs to backyard barbecues! What about children's birthday parties, puppet shows or stadium gigs? Funerals? :roflmao:

Amanda in boots and tight jeans? And tacos? Oh lordy! drool

Tony In Philly and Sore Thumb like this.
  15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

THIS was a birthday party for a four year old and a six year old (siblings).

We had only two extension cords running from the house. Most of our gear is Class D stuff, except for the small-ish tube amps that Randy and Arnie are using. But I was kind of surprised that we didn't blow any circuit breakers.

We don't have any stadium gigs planned this summer. I usually do funeral gigs as a solo, me and my acoustic guitar. ;)

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, mikewalker and nixdad like this.
  16. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    I imagined something more akin to this:

2E27E39B00000578-3306332-image-a-30_1446773488553.jpg

Please post some selfies of your funeral gigs. :D

17. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great post! Not sure why the one thing sticking out to me is the breakbeats drumset. I have been jonesin' for one of those for a few years!

The beers were appealing as well........

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I used to work with a pedal steel player when I lived in North Carolina. I remember seeing one of these upside down as pictured here. Playing pedal steel guitar actually is rocket science!

pedal steel.jpg

19. Tacos tacos tacos tacos!! That looks like a fun one - great report as usual Cliff!

Sore Thumb, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  20. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Excellent gig report, as usual, Cliff! Sorry I'm so late to the comments-section, but HEY!! It's Memorial Day Weekend! I was VERY busy all day yesterday watching auto races. ;) Glad to see Amanda, glad it didn't shower on you all, and most importantly, glad everybody had fun!!!

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021