BassCliff w/ANB at Buckle and Boots, 7/20/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jul 21, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

If you all are enjoying your weekend half as much as I am, then I am enjoying my weekend twice as much as you. Me and the ANB had our second engagement at a new-ish place in Lancaster called the Buckle and Boots Watering Hole. It is a fine establishment with a real honky tonk feel, a nice sound system, a good sized stage, and helpful friendly people who take real good care of us. We had a great Friday night crowd too.

My gig began with a drive up through Cajon pass. There was plenty of traffic headed that way, the "Friday get out of town" traffic, including a long freight train.

H0gV1s8qf-cvGo7eH64dm_MqaCnXhMSjmNfbUskWO5nTfd5sxWVHaJ1yyVDbVA_XkWEJbIUSiScPZ7WXTp=w1200-h779-no.jpg

There were not one, but two minor accidents going up the pass that brought the traffic to an absolute standstill when we weren't driving 10mph. It's a good thing I left early. It's normally about a ninety minute drive but this afternoon it took two and a half hours. But I made good time once I got off the 15 Fwy and headed toward the high desert on Hwy 138 past the Mormon Rocks.

b5KV7xxTqXdebS6t0M6ba_giX_ORWxKi_DrChoCVmfK-rNYdzQP4wLVlh255EbT3OWKCSOjMe8a8T3GsfV=w1062-h796-no.jpg

In addition to all the beautiful desert landscape you also pass over one of the California Aquaducts on the way to the Palmdale/Lancaster area. This section runs alongside Hwy 138 for a bit.

Sg3TIeHPo5irEtv7FFr8CV_APMybJoGrTMN-CJMRcHcPQ-woWBCXt09eXysAlIwDQNsczzfvNV4jSPOVvK=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It's a man-made river moving water from Northern California, where they get lots of rain, to Southern California, where we don't get so much rain but still have a lot of farming.

Another odd feature of this drive is the fact that Hwy 138 has a "roundabout" in what seems to be the middle of the desert in the Palmdale area. They are not common in the US. Once you see drivers going through them you'll understand why.

DfGQ0aB0WqBkjcoYfghJ7v1a4SALSidNMz5IxK-2RJVb0Uu4Z6w0SiFmkaXIkOTwiVcLx189-MfKkTdLoA=w1062-h796-no.jpg

eeWmrVE7DTboW5hwW8qmQ4mAm6yEnvVzZwk15w2WME4ji46yDZr_MHGgT8SrsUBPYxDJCekLy-P3xhCnKu=w1062-h796-no.jpg

After successfully navigating the roundabout I made it to the venue in short order. The club is located on Lancaster Blvd. in an area of Lancaster known as "The BLVD". A nice street full of shops, eateries, and entertainment. It's pretty cool.

m_0CBJDfo-VAOdpzOpr3LQ_79Vrx24FWyUykjL8h4PZz04fps0bGblQcuVZFSTzj39BZqxd7zy8-6Pl4X0=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I was the first to arrive at the venue. Here's my trusty Astro van parked near the load-in door right by the stage.

oww4u0W7ka5Yrhb4xlHr-JlGT1p3OxL5Owsq1-1kN5X4lpCd1A3cfCldmMUhola-qvEsXDUXg9_KkkPxBQ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I didn't even go out front to take a picture this time. Here's a stock picture from the Buckle and Boots website.

032A2330.jpg

Here's my Rock-n-Roller cart parked next to the stage. John arrived just a couple minutes after I did so I helped him with all of his gear.

xuPM3L5wNEWhMeSNyACbWlqXbpCi-BWjdnADRRBWv_qiSf4H-4DBANsJTZTKcAVxT2mr6A4T9R5t_lDSLW=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We had the same crew here with us today. On the left is Benjamin who is always asking what he can do to help us. On the right is the FOH guy, Dave (a.k.a. Mighty Mouse) who is one of the least grumpiest soundmen I have ever met. It's a pleasure working with him.

UdsNFhMz2lt5hYdgWs5tZf3bV1efd01SjH3YAVyVyz3fYVy3wOuB8zUg2ZTpG1tZVf44b97M4s0jpsmkda=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The club has a real honky tonk vibe and is a great place to hang.

xnaMxbXotYYXb1zWB0vzjGz_7LP0WoC4B0oMimDi0JnoWpHmVDjKq5F-zPdLsBrKdbLGsnAVmCjI_HKYlI=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I took pictures of a couple more interesting signs. Here's an omage to Garth.

AZ_jjvs9wdj_TljvanVNkFJhHX9ruAlBcqi_szlGRRGevWV98QrZjLK1FP-RnE629r2p5KezxcPJqQJFxw=w1062-h796-no.jpg

And I guess this is pretty good advice.

oldxkOdBrT3B83BzVEVtjq122_hUnkPSIun-RHBbyIN79fayvyQ4w1HMQ-Or0tpK3R8D3TRhpejmdA1Ccn=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I shied away from the whisky but Katie, who is also our dance instructor this evening, pulls a tall Old No. 38 Stout for me. I've really been into stouts and porters lately.

9tCPG-T9IOoD2oIPq4yftG-3szMG_-mwg_bXQcDpj0SpqZiXM-PjrbVwP3WTil6cP9ZfV-5nP71O3mmWGH=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then I head back to the stage for my one note sound check. The rest of the band has arrived and are pretty much ready to make some noise.

Wl7w05NJqrgQJ2bhAG2wwKrb3nx-lQegSDakOnfk8RWV8bjlZvlfRXxgrDCxJsX6KalRoYQXU8PR6TxUsy=w1158-h796-no.jpg

The lovely Ms. Amanda Kate lets Dave know what she needs in her monitor, a little less 10K and a little more 5K. Amanda is using a new wireless mic from Audix so the EQ has to be tweaked a bit.

8cPpYJM_vGHG7KqDlfU-xSRK5c2JqwXxoQ9FBb-FOoaoNubKThXZQtz87UL1Wu3bZzSKJxciG8Of1nPtHO=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Jason is at Comic Con in San Diego this weekend so we have the talents of Jeff Sorenson on drums tonight. He's a killer drummer, rock solid, did his homework, took visual queues really well, and generally did a fantastic job tonight.

0j-uVWoi_w8zPlch8h16nUNgby0hhMayzhbCI9wqKC-vM-xNvXmTCainBWByYuHE7SjfJNpNLFTioahXuq=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We have the effervescent Randy on steel tonight. He's got finger picks and he's not afraid to use them.

-RJx3sObSiBZ2M6r6YO0dVraLv1bvE1jTfVzZudsaHiKkMRXuvneVPQ6WTPhwmSAiTq-0_EVOsP3sIJZJm=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Johnny Fingers has sound checked and is ready to go. He's got ten fingers and uses them all.

tiEiT8QA6x6Ik9E7EuiKI-XsE2KDRxJHl_Lo3WPiKiMypZF8zd8VPVlDBtskkgp-66FufQKMGU1YYTiHFW=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We have a lot of down time between sound check and down beat. This is a late starting gig. We play 10pm to 11:59pm. I'll be back in the next post to continue the experience. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

On my way downstairs I stopped by the bar to grab another beer to go with my supper. I ran into a couple of old friends you may remember from our last engagement here. This is Chanelle, who would bring us our supper later.

-LNvXXDreFpmIkjd58P3GDlPDGjY-gkxz9CvL8YEZinv2Be6i4UQcJjoi1DKHaY8yzVzKSryLZR3Jxw-Mb=w1062-h796-no.jpg

You also may recall Jenna, who will be behind the bar pulling draughts and pouring drinks tonight.

zJN2UojlUXEt6BZDYrAiwDYbrfC6RgX0uENUuLFDoDzSITbO63uyAiI4NeuiIK-lTT-hwBaxUsF6tADGwf=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The band heads downstairs to the Underground Bowling Lounge that also has a game room. This is kind of a happening place, later on.

QuCHSMH-oSSNkGB3djtSoNOnlWSx1sCrLvGF3KxPmZ_ucf1JBQMLILejieM9jumXn7NywYP6zpwPnjyVLN=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We get to hang out in the VIP room, just behind the pool tables you see above and next to the lanes. This is where we chill and have our supper. Arnie and Randy had gone to see Shenandoah the night before and were regaling us with stories of that night and also "back in the day" when Arnie used to tour with them.

A4LBZA4nqmKQwZ38J5qj5TM2nrAAbdXJmZaqnFts6FsauY5TnIBFAxMrRFCGRxt4hOpUPKvFxl3knbhsW-=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Last time I had the chicken and mac-n-cheese waffles smothered in country gravy. Randy had that this time. I wanted to try something different. I enjoyed the Wrangler Steak and Chips along with a compliment of onion rings, fried pickles, and Southwest egg rolls. This meal was amazing.

UUD4xItz5EnztpWQtsMSSqqsyCvpInyr1m_kdXO8u6xLEPaxQLmSx0nUfiEg9pfXpfR0Z3eTKPTG1AZ8Lu=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We ate, we changed, we made our way back up to the stage to find Katie giving the dance lesson. Tonight she was teaching the "Cowboy Hustle".

FZD8DLtdrbf1_ji_Q9loCl0ADaKZd_RchLUL4yM9GB-Uf7-mqn-x_R83Bb5DKXkT7Wcrh41v4hVqdFDp-o=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It was a pretty packed house tonight. Everyone had fun.

xNYl5Ne4WnnWKCm5_tF_qzazQ3gZCMeBWLwLIKYLAFvoceSwpk-8exFhePQ2d4XbhB8PZETDu7H9uP4HBk=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Here's Dave at the controls. The band sounded really good tonight.

4S2Roy-AphSXVmIeBJ1CyOU-5mCV-RIV4M5t-opgs0kn_v241sdxPaeqH6OCR6jz_C5suOAvlMebT_451Z=w1062-h796-no.jpg

There's a huge Jenga game going on while the DJ plays up until our downbeat. This is the view from the soundbooth looking toward the stage.

Ik5nlkGkA_vcR4PqvVy5Quo_w9RmpYTqZJDUWO8B7hel_SLoGG1XBIrqoeLlhrRwkb9D17KM_HOKiP6VzQ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I decided to have one more stout to sip on during our two hour set.

ONzT_1wBX8eiYL2xzPAuexCfJ2bx_qR689PuGsyNz8o6FFk4YnZQ-CkjLh2Dn0J6DG0G72aeJjhvZVe_8U=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Randy is ready to do some slippin' and slidin'.

xRKv3vmMhPaMM9ixNowA1Q3KG4iiXAiMz9XjlzVtP_80Bnou7tnvq3gwJojDLF_uIp7XrbG9KFIyPSmgqX=w1062-h796-no.jpg

This crowd loves to line dance but there are quite a few two-steppers and swing dancers also.

Hc0QxLuKR7bNVVJxWY6irU5kOGKVDoYYLuWvHXY6pSRURqALueLvIeKSvVvwX493vaD7wh3RWrXAUZ0YMt=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Amanda and I do a little cheesin' before we start.

IPpkhX52Kc_0Z1NesGJ8P0mUYCygC3J3LVI9Nh-60k9O05Z3Nf82g_4KsyK_I4ulIhZdCjyAacVZ06B6C1=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Katie gets up on stage to announce the band.

sxCzAi1iY9KLrGlPcvKu4RhjIyhpMmNNDrjAF0qQqRLsMqQMFu1wo7dLwlHNDehC2PDQKeloJAUCpmca29=w1062-h796-no.jpg

And away we go! We play one long two hour show and we are done.

gJUKUfk1ZPys1JDGS-uA1UOXF6K9KfPNxJYAwKVIdbBKeJ4ZUWs6LkU9IbxSiIaI0xc9qKGePK-DDqE8_9=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I think Jeff was having fun tonight.

H5N-ZVL73BzuCi4BQSCDvrq4v_Zjw5FeEzRdtu2T3JzCyDAKX8XHQznsKOyqyjD_eoloAIPH55oT2UkT24=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Johnny Fingers was smokin' on his boogie woogie tune, "Mama Screw Your Wig On Tight". The crowd was amazed that his fingers never left his hands.

7T1tR6Qo6V8KHWiFRGQp8Vvhkm1WopcnHIWYV7o9HgSTZ8CdltF-vDDwvIf7TzxvZnp8mUiFUZM-rlzF1F=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It's a tradition in Nashville, at some pont during the evening, to have what's called "a holler and a swaller". We'd been going non-stop for over an hour and just needed a few second to yell "Yeeehaw!" and take a long drink of brew. The crowd joined us.

BM1C-C0HeEK9meP6ErXWQ237ejSrDcL8SOEGykBX_WZQIGkxQc9s59JgiJcM70TxscwASGlrSRKAEzvwHF=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Toward the end of the evening these young ladies wanted to let me know just how much fun they were having.

9kmfo6IvN6KRPzWusoOIqsuiFvOF0jXFwU7DybsPRy5XeSjZ0Lkqf2j1rX0AibBzzY0e5HOte0bjNHLckq=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then the clock struck midnight and it was time for all of us to turn back into roadies.

4na4o3egcnNaXShnPurIRTYsCVcrS7BctYDfhR_v37jIYfUaMkuigdu781dUOizFeHlO-8KiqohFJ9GlqO=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We packed our gear, loaded up, and headed out on a dark desert highway back home. We are scheduled to return here next month for both Friday and Saturday nights. I don't mind this long drive at all. This place is fun to play, the food is great, the pay is really good, and we are treated very, very well. I hope this place becomes a huge success. I've met a few of the partners and management and everyone is on the ball and working hard. This place should do well.

The rest of the month is slow for me. I've got a few True Willie gigs on the next three Saturdays. Then the ANB will be busy for the next few weekends with The Ranch, Gilley's Vegas, and then back at Buckle and Boots, plus a mid-week concert in the park. I guess I'm busy enough. Thanks for putting up with me. You guys are great.

BassCliff

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. Being deep in Mormon county, I had to stop and click your link for Mormon Rocks. I've down though I-15 en route to San Diego a time or two, but haven't ventured into that particular region of CA.

Roundabouts are very uncommon for sure, but US93 near Wickenburg AZ has three I think, north of town. I've gotten pretty used to them in my travels. My town just acquired one a couple years ago and it still gives the other locals fits.

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Excellent report Cliff. I may have to supply you with the proper beer when you come back to Vegas! :)

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, all I can say is... You Are The Best! Great shots of everything. Thanks.

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York

I'd like to be that busy...... seems like one gig a year is all I get with my latest ventures.

Next up for me is a possible Yacht Rock band. Nothing else around here seems to work, may as well try it. Right now I'm hoping I can either be Dancing In The Moonlight or do the Lido Shuffle..... stay tuned, devestation footage at 11.......

McG, Spidey2112 and BassCliff like this.
  7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    The last gig I did was a Saturday with praise team call at 5:30am
    I was very disappointed to see the the roadies did not unload the van
    On my way toChurch I remember oh ya I am the roadie
    Duke

McG, Spidey2112 and BassCliff like this.
  8. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great pics. as always!

Spidey2112 and BassCliff like this.
  9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    10 to midnight, that's a cake walk. They just don't seem to get it around here that people start to go home by around midnight, its still 9 to 1 same as its always been. 8-midnight or 9 to midnight would be much better IMO.........or 10-midnight:thumbsup:

my band once played a 5 1/2 hour set....honest Injun

McG and BassCliff like this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Spreading the fun units again I see! :D

Spidey2112 and BassCliff like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

I really appreciate you guys spending some time with this old country bass player. It gives me warm fuzzies. :)

The Mormon Rocks area are supposed to be some pretty scenic hiking, and not too strenuous. I love the geology in that area.

I was a teenage kid in Bakersfield where the middle of town has a roundabout called "Garces Circle" (MAP) named after Father Garces, who also has a high school named after him. Whenever we were feeling our oats we'd try to see who could drive around it the most times before the cops showed up to run us off. Cruising up and down Chester Avenue was a big deal back in the 70s. I don't know if it is any more.

That sounds like a plan! Thanks Tony. We'll be there Sept. 7th and 8th.

You are too kind. The camera on this phone does a pretty good job. I rarely use my little point-n-shoot any more.

I needs me some education. What's a Yacht Rock band? Is it a band that caters to a special audience, like a wedding band does? I wouldn't mind playing either of those tunes. I think the Lido Shuffle would make a good line dance song. :hyper:

Every time I look for a roadie I find one in the mirror. Although at this gig Benjamin was all too eager to help us with our gear. I did not take advantage but I just might one of these days when I get a little older. :smug:

Thank you very much. :)

Wow. I've played a whole gigs without a break, just not that long, three hours usually. Some clubs do a half hour on and a half our off for five sets. They are short sets but it's still a long night. Some clubs still do 45 on and 15 off for four or five sets. In Laughlin we used to do six sets with 45 on and 15 off. The private parties and corporate events are usually just a couple of sets. I guess it depends on the gig. Sometimes you are having so much fun that you don't want to stop after a couple of sets. Other gigs you just can't wait to get out of there even before you start.

Yes! Many fun units were had on a Friday night. :laugh:

Here's a collage that showed up on the social medias.

37597972_201562463868228_8276238847944163328_o.jpg

And the Buckle Girls, Jenna and her friends say, "Y'all come back now. Ya hear?"

36910843_193187954705679_4437359811348135936_o.jpg

BassCliff

JRA, bordinco90, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If everyone is on board, they're great... I've had a couple of close calls, and to this day, I'm not sure if I was right, or wrong...

The sign behind you says it all...

That's what it's all about!

Thanks for sharing, Cliff! Looked like a fun one!

BassCliff likes this.
  13. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Mmmm...stouts.

fretter and BassCliff like this.
  14. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Great photos as usual...you're competing with Tony Levin's blog!

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I wasn't really familiar with that term either when it was presented to me.

From Wikipedia-

Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast Sound[2][3] or adult-oriented rock[4]) is a broad music style and aesthetic[5] identified with soft rock.[6] Its name, coined in the 2000s by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing. The term describes one of the commercially successful genres of its era, existing between the late 1970s and early 1980s.[7] Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, funk, and disco,[5] common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies.[4]

Typical songs in the setlists would be -

Brandy
    Lido Shuffle
    Sister Golden Hair
    Nights on Broadway
    Hold The Line
    Rosanna

McG, mcarp555, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Ahhhh . those pictures of the drive to the club remind me of the Golden Hills of California .. not much has changed since my last visit in 2014. Somebody please turn on the sprinkler system.... Oh and thanks for the gig, rig, chicks and food. ;)

McG, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  17. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Mustang Sally

nixdad likes this.
  18. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Brian Wilson was right about the "West Coast Girls " ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    McG, dave64o, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  19. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Hey, we got our first roundabout in San Jose in the old IBM Cottle road plant (that I'm aware of). It's next to the new Costco. Most cannot figure out it.

The soccer moms tend to drive through it like it's their private driveway. The old people tend to stop and yield continuously in a confusing way. The Mexicans tend to treat it like a game that needs to be won. The younger yuppies pulling those big wakeboarder boats tend to play bumper pool with the trailer tires and curbs after filling up with cheap Costco gas.

McG, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    And the Buckle Girls, Jenna and her friends say, "Y'all come back now. Ya hear?"

View attachment 3089645

OOoooooooooh Myyyyyyyyy !!!!!!! :D

McG, Sore Thumb, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021