1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANB at Downtown Disney, 10/24/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Say there Mouseketeers!

Me and the ANB had another mid-week engagement at the Downtown Disney District. It was a cool, pleasant evening to fight the rush hour traffic down to Dismal Land.

fIplRNK0onRLPl0CCPfnQXp-2rJFaHGbFfRklPkQdD9ZyxE0r9Z-YsuvrJfqOSJfw3XHAC2OxJ-dwsjO7Kg=w905-h639-no.

I roll in my gear from the employee parking lot. You see the big rides of Disney California Adventure in the background.

cX-JhuX6o0a-bWQNTMLGD5Ljfau69grvD01YF56CtkCMTXFR7QdgF33W_ij5R6gjcKUk1jRkbfYbbos4H5g=w852-h639-no.

Arnie hired MxxMaster again to run our sound. This is Flash running the tablet out front. We've worked with Flash several times, he's good people.

mM7Qj4lmynWqAa7iZboNNeU50wk6-0DUAZrDpxX5zChC59uXdVXfdAZ2PA9JdjP4Ol1JoNQ2wA2zKUPm-tw=w852-h639-no.

It looks like The Mouse has done a bit of redecorating around here, new coverings on the stage. My rig is set up in front of a silhouette of The Mouse himself.

RqOzS6M1kAEMr5WA8_KA4EXOEzIGtOEi_OG9V2STLDzCcJef7YjBZhSnE2agR9bpwIQTs2vj13hxnHUv2uA=w852-h639-no.

It's the Hairy Legged Boy Club tonight. Amanda couldn't make it. I guess her husband had to work and Grandma couldn't babysit.

wvdZXhXnMczDPhr_o3Q_7dBKpoXaVEZhct12m_FMNUbAVrFdiLMSHxkkj09A17MaNrXeaWVYu1h7x0AbTkA=w852-h639-no.

We finish our setup and sound check. Flash and Chris work well together and take good care of us.

Knhzuwvnyhd41iS1sopxn9M5yX9pQiGh-UtXyYPemQevrOZiaCfq1pOS57oJNjOmgqQulD8IpjiHxg-sy3w=w852-h639-no.

Johnny Magic Fingers is on the "Minnie" side of the stage.

r8GnLD5IFL0H0kyGd5A-Sv5IKECNWddx-xIOaK7GZ6FEa0L2TcSCiKzOqk9LaosNxRMwS85YdTvrLGk3fQA=w852-h639-no.

We were glad to see the Earl of Sandwich was reopened. They were doing a brisk business in spite of the other food trucks around.

Vjx3dN43PHAv2XlajbSZNXCrRkxrAOXKQG5DR8RWb07T_VO7JSb_Ko0zRUMmdgFYmKM4WnuurJBFETkm8Sw=w852-h639-no.

The crowd starts to gather in anticipation of some good ol' country music. You see the dumpling truck in the background. There was also a crepes truck and a Habit truck.

JfjfNx2wJnXK6jaBq0WLRaEpxtMblFE2QaDzEN5kvOkESG4iIdCjK6m13hJ2FIXtiWmMEThU_dZAF-Ql5Qw=w852-h639-no.

Johnny dazzles the crowd with his boogie-woogie piano.

Gw_QGygvA23AqHV5slXT95S-IMJYS5inaXjjjG44qNU1vzzLol-3A-iR4FTfBfxr0Egj7pLWlhHglR4Liww=w852-h639-no.

Jason keeps time. He really kept his stage volume down tonight. It was very comfortable on stage. I could hear everything without putting everything in my monitor and turning it up.

C6nSbj3YUP8SS_idfH97a5v_zpIa9pBZQQIrpkPzOWEq-2UPWAif_SbfmihIbOsm_kPDkrxEHHrrC3iA11Q=w852-h639-no.

Arnie was really happy with the stage mix too. Can you tell?

XxXKVBFsZdyJY_p9NaaIFmXmAbUMRII9HDo5l0OA7XTkkqBikZYJYMZXR0lW2oyNVAQINL9Mj6LW52jOu5w=w852-h639-no.

Randy brought his single neck Fender pedal steel. It sounded great, different, but great. He left his big rig at The Ranch after rehearsal since we'll be there Friday and Saturday. He didn't feel like schlepping gear.

Nu_HVCNnqlvZzPapcxKu-I7N9L4gNCVNhLg12Pu4eNngLgNTIj4VQLyHKb7-7ybWjrOzVVQ8oHFMp2JE-Iw=w852-h639-no.

We had a pretty good crowd for a weekday. That barrier under the monorail line keeps growing. I don't know why.

bpGFvmc-9PjQNgNVfNK5dVTKtXqSnoxJXqLBOsZ2ox54JoqaMqGBjNiyoNu811WUu6WXKw95_5iQbvIw3_g=w852-h639-no.

On a break I hand out flyers to the adoring fans.

4lOWyXIZZjrspZfMYes0VG6mIl-HCwVhKqV3ShkNzmtlxx97hARhUK3yaeqKIxhSPUh5V2Fl5jfij4sH9HA=w852-h639-no.

Here's our stage all lit up at night.

a748DpTC-NR_tbLujgOM8rcrBRb6hJ8DsycdrqlUojiQOmbyhiwuNOmGQnOPgRHaMkA3GFO8uF9UgsyiyBA=w852-h639-no.

On the last break I feasted on a Habit Double Char Protein Burger. Hold the mayo.

RZAl8ckjhPfl69kJgVtvJsEwHiKUoqr5YclVowpPBWH8eNqSkVxTOnhOsHV4oobhJzOWSyrOSaZq3e9eF8A=w852-h639-no.

Then we were back at work, playing under a full moon.

UZLTyiyoZZ0pXZ__PK36U-QnkGe0P0eAKUcABO0kmTcUEVgY-4Ez0cEFC2rGvxU82YLYsb2PeRjopSuPqRw=w852-h639-no.

After four 40-minute sets we called it a night, said our goodbyes, and channeled our inner roadie.

dD9TMXfPbaKld9vqLiHunMzk3m9W48jdHhd4KuUuFFw3hxkXGULaUFZF71TAMsu-KBFeERdPL-rekKQIo8w=w852-h639-no.

We've got two dates on this stage in November. We're at The Ranch this weekend where I'm hoping to see @McG and @bluesblaster. And the gigs just keep on coming. I guess that's a good thing. It keeps me off the streets at night. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. I know you're accustomed to it but you're playing at Disneyland?

It's another world away from central WI, very cool, living vicariously through these gig reports.

3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Also known, (by some of the musicians who regularly work there), as "Mauschwitz".
    Too soon?
    Thanks.

4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice! I'm a big fan of comfortable stage volume.

We should both be there. Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

MCF, Sore Thumb, BEADG63 and 3 others like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have fun this weekend, guys! I’m playing tonight and tomorrow night, otherwise I’d love to join the fun. @bluesblaster is in for a real treat!

MCF, McG, Kitsapbass and 1 other person like this.
  6. Man, i love this time of year in Annaheim (sp?) Went around this time a couple years back.
    These reports from Cliff look like the perfect weather and gigs all the time! So nice!
    100_7563.JPG

nixdad, BassCliff, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Awesomely excellent!! Thanks for (finally?) posting, sir!! I was tempted to say, "No Amanda? Well, then, no comment!" But there's just too much other excellence to not comment. Glad you could hear yourselves, that's always nice. Looking forward to The Ranch.

MCF, Sore Thumb, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  8. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Is that a milk crate underneath your amp ? :wideyed:

No, wait - that's a pressure molded ABS storage module. Whew.

nixdad, HolmeBass, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  9. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Too bad Amanda couldn't make it, but it shows how versatile you guys are that you can soldier on pull off the gig in flying colors anyway!

nixdad, BassCliff and Jimmy4string like this.
  10. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Nice pics, Cliff.

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Three 40 minute sets, get in get out. And a full moon! Very nice. Although I gotta say, y'alls are a bunch of good lookin' fellas, but I miss the ladies.

MCF, Sore Thumb, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  12. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Cliff, please explain. Is your bass going through the PA? If so, why do you have an amp and cab? Is it mic'ed?

BassCliff likes this.
  13. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    You are my hero!!!

BassCliff likes this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey party peeps!

Thanks for sharing your fun.

I was playing around DLR/DCA at that time, probably with the KRB. We may have talked about your visit but the timing didn't line up. You can't complain about the weather much, but you can complain about other things. ;)

Thank you Dan. Amanda will be at The Ranch, don't you worry. I'm skipping lunch in anticipation of some Ranch food! drool

It's not as sturdy as a milk crate but my rig is not that heavy. I picked up that crate for $3 at Walmart. But like any seasoned musician worth his strings, I have a few real milk crates in the garage. ;)

Well, thanks Tony. We've all been doing this a while so we can dig pretty deep into the repertoire when we have to. It's fun to dust off some classics once in a while. The crowd enjoyed it. :)

Thanks Charles. If you need new dartboard covers I can send you some full resolution pictures. ;)

Thanks Dave. You are too kind. We look a lot better when Amanda is around. ;)

Yes, my amp's DI is going direct to the QSC system. It's not being mic'd. I normally use my rig just for a stage monitor and let the FOH do all the heavy lifting. I bring my rig because we have not implemented our own IEM system yet. We keep saying, "One of these days." But it's a bit spendy to do it right. :meh:

Faster than a speeding tempo, more powerful than a Silvertone, able to drop several beats simultaneously! Look up on the stage! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's BassCliff!

astro_boy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

15. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Great report as always. Really look forward to them. Thanks.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  16. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Ahhh. I thought you had IEM.

BassCliff likes this.
  17. There's a further story attached to that. Disney bosses got wind of the nickname and sent a memo round banning it and threatening action against members of staff using it. It took about half a day and they were all calling the place Duckau instead.

18. Those new colored backdrops in the front and back sides of the stage remind me of the colorblind tests they used to have in driver's ed books years ago. It will say one thing if you have normal vision and something else if you're colorblind. They were made up of colored circles.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Cool report.

So tell me, does Mickey get a Christmas card from you?

20. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I won't be back down to Disneyland until March 2020!

BassCliff likes this.