BassCliff w/ANB at Gilley's Las Vegas 9/4-6/2020

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Sep 5, 2020.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Just to tie a ribbon on this gig let me tell you about my trip home. But first, I want to thank the Las Vegas TalkBass crew, @G19Tony, @andysvec, and @wintremute for always being such good friends, hanging out, and treating me way better than I deserve. You guys are the best and I'm proud to call you my friends and bassmigos. Charles, I missed visiting your church this weekend. Hopefully next time everything will be more opened up.

Here are all my instruments and suitcase ready for the bellman. It's worth it to tip they guy $5 and let him carry all my gear down to my truck at the valet. I've gotten to know a few of the staff pretty well since we get up here so often.

oe4N54Ba8v4Pr7ZJSmz7S9OiWKOpFS_a9kn4rdubCCaEkGXlfw2vUBriYez08XeN0NZTbdg=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

One last look down the Strip. It's very smoky today here in Las Vegas due to all the fires in California.

r4emxGsE0bxHf5MZFxbjieRLwyLLXGELsh1Xz7hUDoVvdDGiQ-me-v7ZzIvzQw7aFqWGHtg=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

On the way out of town I met @wintremute at a place called Egg Works. He really enjoyed his Peruvian sausage breakfast, eggs over VERY hard. ;)

0VNP-PUg-3KeIMJLmE_AICp310uZRjZ4f0t7ik4zIo_Q2NUDg053e1ZamvkDw4oIoGc_AYw=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

Charles was very kind and treated me to an omelette with the works. I love an omelette with everything in it but the kitchen sink.

rHWhREsDR5WwIDcML5f2KrtJz_zR2lcW-0d0OeDDuhBfDJBw1-FRxwtpJBDGeayDH07B2uQ=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

And for Mr. @dbase, I must apologize. We all went to Casa Don Juan on Sunday for supper but I had left my phone in my room and could not take a picture of my milanesa. A milanesa is like a thin Mexican chicken fried steak and this place is the best. Here's a picture from last time.

nrott8j7dktj7neubcjjhjmbecvwzqb3ot-glwuhlp8s5zjem_y_m_mgvs1yzc_s-ruzb-ly_c8ste-w1259-h944-no-jpg.jpg

After Charles and I finished breakfast I stopped for gas and hit the road. This sign was no joke.

Q4X3FPB72b6on1g2j_jdSi97YQcJSzCU2gRj2YraRVP4wDFUfNv-S2C-i6ICBFO9JzTmXcQ=w1256-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

There were a few spots where the highway opened up. I was saddened to see all the smoke from the California fires.

ePfnewf1BUcHEvXlfAs-ceHufMMqDzfvkhvcvrJ3b53Wy-H0usOhsgjLD3kIwTd_mtzgvaA=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

At any little population center along the way there were bottlenecks. There was so much traffic after the holiday weekend it took me seven hours to get home. It's normally a four hour drive.

rDau-JUGvs14nDslsGSuu3MjkimDkmfT89qF6r5LPlYuAtrYBsiuOFsJVgL-dhKCBhUg6Ig=w1102-h826-no?authuser=0.jpg

But it was a terrifically fun weekend! The shows were more intimate and laid back. The crowds were engaged and receptive. We pulled off some new material and dusted off some old favorites to put in the "unplugged" show. It was a fine outing and we're all looking forward to the next one. Thank you all for coming along with me. Until next time, please share your gigs too!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Great to see you again, Cliff. I was wondering how long that trip home would take. One day they'll have that LA to Vegas train up and running and hopefully traffic will ease up.

FYI, it's Portuguese sausage. It's a Hawaiin meal. Strangely (to me), Vegas has a pretty big Hawaiin population. I love the food.

3. Excellent gig report as usual Cliff. :thumbsup:

BassCliff and McG like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello!

It was so nice to get a gig out of town and make noise somewhere special. Gilley's has been good to us so we always try to put on a good show and have a great time. Seems if we're having fun the crowd has fun too.

Andy! Thanks a bunch for coming out and thank you for the kind words, and the picture. It's always great to see you and Cindy. Hopefully next time you guys will be playing and I can catch one of your sets. I'm looking forward to it, my friend!

The U-Bass really takes some getting used to. This one has wound strings on it and I like it better than the rubber strings. The rubber strings sound more "upright-ish", especially on a fretless neck. But these strings sound plenty "acoustic-y" even on this fretted neck. I may eventually replace the piezo pickup at the bridge. It's funny, with a practice amp I could turn up the electronics about halfway and it sounded great. When playing it live, in that room, on that system, I had to turn it up almost 90% so that I could get the same level in my IEMs. Daniel, the soundman at Gilley's, said it sounded great.

Yay! Thank you Scott. I hope you get back to gigging soon. :)

Oh, I don't know if the pretty girls follow me around. Sometimes they just don't notice me coming and can't get away in time. :p

A Viewfinder! Ha! Just perfect for old geezers like me. Are they still making those?

I hope you saw Melba, she was kind enough to pause for a selfie. Since the ladies have to serve all the drinks (no one is allowed to go to the bar) they were all pretty busy all night. I'm hoping things will be better next time.

Aww shucks, thanks Dad! :p

Those sausages were the best thing in the Sad Cafe all weekend. But it seems the whole employee cafeteria menu is better prepared now. The food is still very institutional but the chefs are taking a little more pride in their work and making it look and taste better.

Thank you Scotty! I think next year, if we're in town, I'll ask @McG to celebrate our September birthdays with us.

Yes, this F-hole U-Bass is very good looking with the dark wood grain and all. They also make electric U-Bass models, 5 strings even. The strings on mine aren't rubbery, well, they might be in the middle but they are roundwould on the outside.

Andrew! It was great meeting up with you. That was a good night. You gut quite the show at the mechanical bull too.

Oh, I don't know. I guess I'll pass in a pinch. But is sure was fun being able to bring you guys another real gig report. Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    McG, Sore Thumb, andysvec and 2 others like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Charles,

I knew I'd get that sausage wrong. I remembered it started with a "P". :p

Indeed, it took me just a little over four hours to get up there but seven hours to get back. That's the worse drive back I've ever had in the eight years I've been working that room.

I was glad to hear your band is rehearsing and writing songs. It's fun to play stuff nobody has ever played before. I've never considered myself an "original" artist but I enjoy playing Amanda's material. She and her Mom have written some great songs. Anyway, keep up the good work! I'll be in touch. All the best to you and yours.

Thank you for your induglence,

BassCliff

Sore Thumb and wintremute like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

Thank you, sir. And just as an FYI, it looks like Arnie is calling another rehearsal for Thursday so I will again miss our Zoom GTG. Drat, that's two weeks in a row. Sorry guys. I miss hanging out with you guys through the interwebs.

BassCliff

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    @BassCliff Welcome back, and welcome to Klub Kala!

BassCliff likes this.
  8. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    stellar report as always, you do it so well. Glad to see you making sounds with your buddies, I 'm doing it a little, a webcast here and there, a rehearsal every week. something better than nothing, thanks for posting!
    MJ

BassCliff and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey!

Thanks! You mean there's another club I can join? Sign me up! :D

BassCliff

Kitsapbass likes this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Jonesy,

Have you been sharing links to your web casts? I'll bet you have and I just haven't seen one yet. I'm glad you're out making noise! It beats staying at home being quiet. ;)

BassCliff

Kitsapbass likes this.
  11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    With you gigging, that’s just another sign things may get back to normal!!!
    Awesome as always!

dbase and BassCliff like this.
  12. hdfixer

hdfixer Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Morgan Hill CA
    I have also noticed that I have to futz with the gain settings a lot when switching between electric bass and U Bass - I purchased a Radial Mix-Blender which totally solves the problem - separate levels for two instruments into a single output (handy tool that can do other neat things as well).

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021