BassCliff w/ANB at Gilley's, Vegas 6/4-5/21

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jun 4, 2021.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello dear friends!

Today was a travel day for me and Johnny Magic Fingers. We like getting up here the day before so we can be well-rested for the soundcheck and gig on Friday night. I don't like driving half a day then setting up and playing right away. I'm getting too old for that. :D

For this gig I brought my JBS and PB5. (In gig bags!) I also brought a little Fender Sidekick to use as a practice amp. We like to rehearse in the room while we're here.

UIkM_1DHsWofFxJykLUYvEXkKp1WBoKkRnuxH1c_u6bIWc4wFNpOJVDnAlMb0Ah_XYK8DZDr=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

The trash bags you see are covering some gear @G19Tony and I will be using for some extra-curricular activities this weekend. It'll be a blast.

I left earlier than I usually do on a Thursday because I wanted to be settled in my room before our regular Zoom GTG with the members of the "He-Man Guitar Haters Club". The traffic was pretty light and I made good time. I love the desert geology and topography.

3AIt-x8ICljAqJuNcQ9_zAoEQqKeGcH6xOdNhf1DjgNF8NxwDBMqmyHuc1vFKLys20QPPs2P=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

I saw 113 degress across the desert. I was going to take a picture of the big thermometer in Baker but I missed it. Big Betsy is just sipping fuel on this trip. I have the cruise control set for 71 because my speedometer reads 1mph slow.

gWj7_yAKIz1rX3-yZVptO1-r4l7z5OlWh2HLJ8IFpwX9gn3NGDQHzbahI6BkptqdQ3YcMzjA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Johnny Magic Fingers and I had been talking off an on during our drive. Turns out he left just after I did. I told him, "Hey, I'm at marker 109." He said, "I just passed 106." We decided to meet up at the rest stop twenty six miles past Baker. John had been drinking too much ice tea and I needed to stretch my legs anyway.

y0vlBZyGJY6OM4TyqXokxb8_Gg1Gueyh3QAcMpA3F8JgXucRQI1KMVskvlFrSX0KbSktUhlA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Not too far from the state line, in the middle of this beautiful desert is this monstrosity.

O_y2q6NcFbBTWcpC6yVSdeP9MGvYqYPXUiZtYvoiOgVjm68cb1rYhelNJQcs_0eqm-RO0yIw=w967-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

When we arrived at Treasure Island, John and I were given rooms on the third floor next to each other. Mine was right across the lobby from the spa. I thought this room would be noisy from all the foot traffic but it hasn't been so far.

ow0L7RjbmvEf6zBs5JROnEXgcMcVsBKJMn92nCxYDGp5W4-yf_EHC2Qyess_MibesAoAeS8A=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's my clean, functional room after the charming bell person delivered my gear, and I tipped her a fin.

iXZgI7e6vHfCSBLUCW8_9VPaLZMFgcRxTLdYQPuTwAVXDY_MNpry9SuY5KYL4t3yAFikqjwA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

In the meeting last night I showed the gang a live shot of the view from this room. It's not the best view I've ever had. ;)

4PJHa5zm3cSYpwwTHpkrHMWvB5-kayOYK6IDmXM2ZgMX-A124IrT-jOTWAD-z8rZegbnkycg=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

But at least this view is comp'd. I'm not complaining. ;) After our Zoom GTG (Thanks guys!) John and I went across the street looking for a good meal. Mrs. BassCliff said I didn't have to eat in the Sad Cafe all weekend. Than you, my dear!

t43TI0gIGIjKw67-6evIPnIWIzwS3NSUhElHw6MhuxaGwbl6vKmtCa4hQrSS7BX9zEnqP4AA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

We ended up having fajitas at this place because the menu looked good and they had big margaritas.

0u3Ktwwutc4hcCNpiVVDK9_TPjvwY2IFATjDG1QA7wwY7N89U11J1qqnPSZMoJu8K2XykoLA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

After eating and drinking too much we dropped in the saloon to say "Hi". The bluegrass band had finished playing but the place still had a really good crowd. The management is meeting today to decided whether or not to open the dance floor for the weekend. Here's a picture from behind the sound booth.

U4zrWmPcDjZknP14tzyI4LJ69ZoFlzDbWcUhyr5X76t4m-Nnhw7VKF8ileDxLCs4114WFobQ=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

At about 3pm this afternoon I will slide down the elevator to the saloon for our soundcheck. I hope the rest of the crew is on time, they rarely are. But I'm not complaining, much. ;)

I'll post up a few pictures after all the ruckus settles down tonight. Thanks for coming along with me. I hope your gigs go well.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Wow, that was an interesting read about the massive solar farm. I've never heard of it, but it does seem problematic. There is a giant one being built near I-75 just South of Atlanta right now, but it is photovoltaic. Right now it looks like miles of nothing but bare ground and metal piping and wires everywhere starting to be run where it used to be so lush and green.

In any case, wishing you a great weekend of gigs!! Looking forward to the tales.

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  3. City

City Supporting Member

Bring on photos of the professional employees at the joint.

crice31721, nixdad, kobass and 2 others like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Thanks guys! I just got word that the saloon is going to be open 100%. I think that means dance floor and everything, business as usual. Woot! I'll try to see if I can find some regulars to selfie with, Valerie, Casey, Melba, etc, might remember this old country bass player.

Almost time to get ready for soundcheck. I'll check in later. God bless you all.

BassCliff

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey err'body!

Hello honky tonk! How I've missed your neon lights!

zc1slojVFkchGlRUyUXHxPRp1WXB5EvI4kIxoNZClJRcDvK6ABel8y9flu64FWkjD0H40H7g=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

I hopped up on stage and set up my rig. The tuner is mine, the DI is not.

ZiqYfWefonCh8c2yFJopSOJdVCN4dr-1eVczSWMPGwl9ib3DKrUSfsrTvDTXrvTgEKL_aoow=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Drummer Dave gets settled behind the house kit. Dave usually brings his snare and cymbals to this gig. But I didn't notice a cymbal bag. Maybe he got lazy and just brought his snare.

jOpxicRoIarN8GYYC6Df7hCqb7qgZV8_G6cyGBeFm4Z1utopxNx0ErhY8XzirEEAKbZfno7w=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Paul arrives late. But he's not the last.

SezmN_mdApAXzjPRkqKOb95dVkfKk7KAKHvR1mVuDvv45vW17iDeox9IiomsZhmmdysvUdQw=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Dave gives me a big thumbs up because our fearless leader has arrived. Arnie gave me a call as he was pulling in so I could meet him with a cart to haul his gear. He's only an hour and a half late for load-in.

1rViMu6GffiXKrW3jS8g4TajWUp45Rf45Kq6qJ8EG9Qa-u8-cTuObrBS81DhIEUEH6jADfng=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Johnny and I are chomping at the bit.

Awx9MHwkmi3610CjxZYSpvWMLdAQKwv3eH9LYkIbv-WC-R0J-pnsDHmDGU9fs5cdCWMYCQIw=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Look at that! It's a dance floor! I haven't seen one of those in over a year.

l2Rz79-8Hqb7sakbNqKb1bmSXigzqobCQK36_MAikg_Yne52kP1LVdM0Jazd4Zu1eHIBLGhw=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

To make sure the dance floor is ready, the tech runs the Zamboni over it.

3tSOlzVKCfKvz3cTl0_CgzdJ4me7J7t_2IrT3-6jDUu5kxfL01cWOHXME29NGi3VvPneNa1A=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

Soundcheck was our usual soundcheck. Some folks were late, there were glitches, etc. We were able to play about half of two songs then had to call it because the bluegrass band starts at 5pm. They got very little soundcheck but they are here a lot and their mix is already saved. Sorry about that. It wasn't my fault. We moved our stuff out of the way to give their acoustic four piece enough room.

oyK6N59oj4PoMlNM-_EzDoQc6G_nzBN-DexIyoLAQUwIzPFP8VvkElaqzctiIirFdvVTF4VQ=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

I hadn't eaten all day so I made my way to the Sad Cafe. (That sounds like a country song.)

qUYAitBIynGYB2az7fpRn-LgDD48XhM225N9NEBl-NbYMhO2ithi3YUjN8HP7lqPNS3hkfCg=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

This was actually pretty fresh. I had chicken, fish, grains, applesauce, yogurt, and a couple of roasted peppers that made my eyes water. Yum! (It tasted better than it looks.)

GkMnLuIP6viFGpDTqxH1KXpKkddjjlgDQM8FF215kFbTz3O_8BkRED1h0yC016X2Ih393_4g=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

On the way back to my room I stopped in to check out the bluegrass band. They are really good, they play well with nice vocal harmonies. I met Keith, the banjo player earlier during our soundcheck. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to meet their bass player. I couldn't stay til the break tonight.

jqOMs5qgjgEkueuMPAMttAuV3HXz7AKoWcagYzTFcumUOrG_D0-2hnN7jUycndVg-EFdjUcA=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

I had to run an errand to pick up some needed supplies. On the way back I thought I'd show you the front door of Gilley's that faces the Strip.

PA6HrH4eJ3wzCI-y8qReyblhVWGkI008NZPyEqpDlp5Vb1hxFt70tOLM8MyQmqxl_s9_Pvwg=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

You can't see my room from here because the window is at the bottom of those trees.

Oqg6fdigimRdKbt0HGvUel-0ddDDT1lfhYz1xxNqrR7pJ4qzXd-rbO4BqRgiwn72B9k1jWvw=w858-h643-no?authuser=0.jpg

I was hoping to see @andysvec play tonight after my gig but I have to get up early in the morning and I need my wits about myself. I'm getting too old to stay out that late. ;) We'll see.

OK, more pictures to come. Thanks for looking!

BassCliff

6. Glad to see a normal world in play. BTW, Cliff, I once played in the original Gilley's in Pasadena, TX (now bulldozed under and long gone, it's a wonder it wasn't declared an EPA SuperFund site . . . . what a sh****le),
    and the one you're in . . . . . is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

BassCliff, Holdsg, HolmeBass and 4 others like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey! I can see The Beatles just fine. No reason to complain about the view. :laugh:

Thanks for sharing, Cliff. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
    Chris

8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Getting back into the swing of things does take a bit of time... (tell Arnie he's FIRED if he's late again!);). Like nixdad, I'm anxiously awaiting more from this venue. Thanks for the post in the mean time!

Tony In Philly and BassCliff like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

great stuff! (as always!)

i'm a beer drinker but those margaritas almost make me want to replace my morning coffee so i can pretend i'm in vegas! :laugh:

looking forward to more sights (and sounds?) from your "100% open" gig, cliff! :thumbsup:

Tony In Philly and BassCliff like this.
  10. It’s going to be 109 degrees today
    I’m trying to pretend I’m not in Vegas

BassCliff likes this.
  11. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    On the one hand, it’s supplying much of the local area’s power. On the other hand, the glare is such a problem that there’s at least an informal (and possibly now FAA formal, I’ll have to dig) no fly zone around the thing because the glare is a real problem for pilots. And it’s not pretty, as Mr. Cliff notes, and is using an experimental technology, the idea being the towers get heated and then they can pull power from them at night. It’s worked well in Spain, where they have a bigger version.

You can drive pretty much up to the thing, if you want. I did last time I went to Vegas back in 2018. It’s not really worth doing unless you’re a tech nerd like I am.

Also: jealous. Got some medical issues I’ll be working through until fall and can’t gig. Killing me! I’m getting calls every week!

BassCliff and bluesblaster like this.
  12. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Looks back to normal, Cliff! I played my second normal gig this week. Woohoo!

BassCliff likes this.
  13. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA
    nice stage and accommodations...getting there a day early was smart.. The geology of the desert is intriguing/mysterious to me, never been to vegas...(bucket list),..thanx for sharing

BassCliff likes this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    It says “pro”, does it not? It’s yours.

Are you doing this with anything save DI?

BassCliff likes this.
  15. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I distinctly heard a ruckus

TerribleTim68, dave64o and BassCliff like this.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    113 , man its like 99 here today and were all hiding indoors. Glad we played last weekend when it was a cool but comfortable 65.

Love the desert scenery and I love a giant margarita, you boys are livin the life. Have a great time

McG and BassCliff like this.
  17. This is the return to normalcy I've been waiting for, a BassCliff gig report.

I live vicariously through his extraordinary road gigs in Vegas and points unknown to me.

Thanks for sharing!

McG, droo46, ReggieRochester and 2 others like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    When I grow up, I want to be you.

McG, Holdsg, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I remember driving past that thing when they were just putting up the towers and couldnt figure if they were building a new airport out there or what that was, but why 3 towers ? then one year I saw the completed project and thought *** is that thing, well I guessed what it was but had never seen anything quite like that before...thats alot of mirrors ....or whatever those things are, theres a bunch of 'em

BassCliff likes this.
  20. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That plant sends all its power to California, iirc. There is an FAA Notam cautioning pilots not to directly look at it. But the arrivals and departures from LAS go within a few miles of the site. Nevada has its own solar farms, but nothing quite on that scale.

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021