1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANB at House of Blues Anaheim, 12/20/18(New video added!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    It takes a lot of pro from a lot of people to put on a show like that. Well done! Beautiful!

Kitsapbass, Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  2. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    SVT: Sound Vanishes Temporarily

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I owned a SVT for awhile, I don't really miss it. But I digress, you would think that a place like HOB would at least spring for something better built like a Heritage series SVT (USA) instead of one of the less desirable Ampeg era rigs. I'm sure the touring pro's that walk in and see that sitting there are thrilled.

Kitsapbass and BassCliff like this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Good to see you on stage with Daniel!

5. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    ****ing awesome!!!

BassCliff likes this.
  6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hi Cliff,

The way things are going for you lately, I'll bet you could quit your day job soon!

BassCliff likes this.
  7. bassjack51

bassjack51 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2012
    California
    Nice report as always Cliff! Not an easy event to pull off rotating all those people in and out.

True Willie is sold out here in Nor Cal on the 9th, but my buddy Joe has invited me to hang in the sound booth for the show, so I’ll get to see BassCliff in action!

And why no pics of Mrs. BassCliff?

Best, Bassjack

8. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    I would bet for the same reason Bruce Wayne doesn't have photos of the Batcave on display in Wayne Manor; you keep your best advantages known only to yourself.

9. Gig report?

This has to meet the definition of a "concert"

My envy almost prevents me from typing a complete sentence about how cool this is.

Thanks for taking the time to organize it all into a cohesive and fun read.

You're the man!

10. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Great Report, and Big Kudos to Rocky for bringing a real bass to the gig! ;)

Sore Thumb, BassCliff and bassjack51 like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I don't know how he does it... I'm thinking there's two of him... or, a Cliff cardboard cutout that he leaves at his day job, when he's gigging...

... time travel?

BassCliff likes this.
  12. TrentB

TrentB

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Very cool event Cliff. Too bad about the bum SVT. It’s probably seen a lot of use in it’s lifetime.

Yup, always park on the third floor. I learned my lesson the first time I played there.

BassCliff likes this.
  13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Wow, nice venue and GREAT gig report. Fun is radiating off the page!

BassCliff likes this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Those of us who still watch The Last Waltz from time to time appreciate what a job it is to back so many different singers on one gig. I wave my "Nashville Studio B" gimme cap in your general direction!

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    As grandma always said, "When you got it, flaunt it.";)

Kitsapbass, BassCliff and mcarp555 like this.
  16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I like the way you think ;)

Kitsapbass, mcarp555 and BassCliff like this.
  17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Get in line ... ;)

18. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Damn, all I can say is I want to be Basscliff in my next life....the chops, the gigs, the babes - probably even a great guy.... in all seriously good on ya brother!

Kitsapbass, mcarp555 and BassCliff like this.
  19. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Have really been enjoying your gig reports, Cliff. This one is one of your best, in my opinion. Thanks for the details and the pics. Great catharsis for a small town player. I'd consider moving to country (and Cali) if these gigs were the reward.

Kitsapbass, Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

I really appreciate all the feedback and positivity from this community of bass players. It means a lot coming from all you guys.

Everyone was so cooperative and supportive of each other. Arnie was a bit overwhelmed but ran the show well despite all the curves thrown at him.

One of the issues was that Rocky's bass was passive, mine is active. I had to turn his up a bit more when he sat in.

It's probably been a while since that rig has had new tubes and was biased properly. Next time I'm bringing my own rig.

Daniel really did his homework and is always a total professional. If the whole band had done their homework like Daniel we'd really sound good.

Thank you. Check out the video at the end of this post. It was pretty amazing.

Nah, I still can't make enough money as a musician. But I'm hoping to retire in a couple years and play a few more gigs every month to supplement my retirement.

It's fantastic that you "know a guy". ;) That's the Feather Falls gig, right? It'll be nice to meet you.

Nah, I'm just the bass player. But it was very cool to be part of this.

He had a nice looking P-bass. I didn't get a chance to talk much gear because of everything that was going on. But I'm hoping to stay in touch. His band plays a lot of the same places we do.

Nope, just lots of ROCKSTAR. :D

Hi Trent. I'll park in P3 next time. That's a fun venue to play but the security is really tight. There were metal detectors at the front door and if you didn't have the special wrist bands you couldn't go anywhere backstage. The old "I'm in the band" doesn't work as well there. ;)

Totally fun. Thanks!

Sure, my life looks good on the internet. But I really do have a lot of fun once in a while. :)

Country music has been very, very good to me. California, not as much. There's lots of gigs here but there are also lots of taxes, traffic jams, etc. So you take the good with the bad. :p

OK, I have another video uploaded. This is part of the finale from the concert. It was quite amazing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff