BassCliff w/ANB at National Orange Show, 5/3/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, May 4, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    And a happy, fine, how do you do!

Last night me and the ANB played a gig at the National Orange Show Citrus Fair that had everything. There was a big stage, large sound system, good stage crew, nice lighting, it was a pleasant evening for an outdoor concert, we had food, there was just a small crowd. We had our fun anyway. Let's get started.

I had to leave work a little early to make the trek across the IE, fighting the afternoon rush hour, to make it to my call time. Here's a view of lovely San Bernardino as I drive the transition overpass toward the north.

tsiWruWwoqYdAnGGMUXdVKiHlUIP-InpX5bD55E9WykwIE1k4NBhtbgBB-cutFarsrDZXmU8QCWw3ZoVFWv=w840-h630-no.jpg

We were originally told to go to Gate 1 but were then redirected to the other side of the grounds to Gate 8. That's OK. It made for a much easier load-in.

PEf43-MfkcVLr7pL6wUIjy9bvXfh61ZjISc5xB-DxLrNk8YFyRSki6uXDVZIoeCMyXut4PQ3wLX8uRetX7k=w840-h630-no.jpg

Look who our handler was! It's our dear friend Chris. You might remember Chris running sound for me and the True Willie Band on a few of our gigs. Chris is also a bass player so you know he's a very cool dude.

o_FWa4yAppGYNr1lube_m6jwYjPZu5d6Tm5aiw-Tx2QynNoVRZCwULeiLf7OMMkx_arMzs6VeS6yIkXnbQb=w840-h630-no.jpg

Chris leads us right up to the closest spot to load in. It was a piece of cake, especially since we were backlined. All I had to bring was a couple of basses. But I helped Jason and John with their gear just to keep in practice.

4h3tDquswCz29yrmpvhe9QIx4j3L3tq5SRf7dnALNBqJ5xhWovGmMU9lQ_nQwKfahIUu6ysP8uc_tjRArJ-=w840-h630-no.jpg

Yes, here I am at the Orange Show. You can see our stage just on the other side of the fence.

vyB8CFwbOrsIyRzjzr-9l0RwxuTDzfl7-P2avCKkEgTTxUi6S6qkLRO7eEL2G8xlslyPkG-dtC0VBwd7Z_d=w840-h630-no.jpg

John and I rolled our gear up to the steps. There's also a ramp. It's a nice stage.

Yo01uyJ7w1avZhvWZp4tZ5X39uquvd9wRjkfosYAdr3g7uHUmqPDyHtFlN_6D8U49uqmclMNBa6HPuvtgYY=w840-h630-no.jpg

This is Edwin, the monitor guy. He was a helpful and friendly sort.

8_1_If6p-rS11jmknVeksLITaXWDAmVauXjZJOv_JrTqbZCCa35N4xOf79p1ASkkibVBxyAmZCH4CCRg3qW=w840-h630-no.jpg

Here's a view from near the FOH. Michael is at the helm. I was impressed with this sound company. Sorry, I didn't get any contact info.

kU1q7pPsv7Uri4zHH6WfawKgZeRycDYfIGCmQx0klnwd2PwylYPP3J1kqdwZCe9jV74wzTVWeLqjqOHCbWn=w840-h630-no.jpg

While we waited for the current artist to finish their show I found an interesting school bus. It looks like a fun ride.

q877rdXpMbQNOaFKZ_8BnpqNQ7zDnaDe8YLOYk0akg6s2nRBYEs_HhSwcQ04Ll_1BWexETJ1wcKF55YyA_i=w840-h630-no.jpg

In between acts we start setting up our gear. This is Jason's backline kit, a decent DW. Jason used his own cymbals and snare drum.

nJtOQ4Kbh3Y6iS4E_7zarVOEI1IyEp0g-4yJtxcWdm3BfD2MkWq9_qMs5fRu8V92vzcLT2TNIvccYIhYfSi=w840-h630-no.jpg

The side fills were killer and the monitors sounded great. I could hear everything and nothing was too loud even though we were all quite "energetic".

yfn8HD30qqzzzntgi9cBQcG9cQNa6HrRjd-8vu8v7DXKqOs1dejVf5ZC4js1fNKnjw4H6lYjfskkzbauBBt=w840-h630-no.jpg

Here's the view from the main stage as we are setting the stage. It was such a nice day.

LQnKDq4RIVTmOfoG08bnVysDzh5OeLvcUuLnaQr5UXvuWQ6BksQlVF5VR85oWDXnWhLAdI-xcZETDtamSJE=w840-h630-no.jpg

To stage right were the fountains and the bar. Later we would enjoy an adult beverage.

vIyjp0fYOJn5JWQPX74ckp9ByODILbkegdpDW2iAdriMaIaYWtIu145n2nUoFRBnttda4l6ytGr4KnAYXGI=w840-h630-no.jpg

The guitar backline consisted of two Twin Reverb amps. Arnie also brought his Little Walter combo and decided to use all three. He said it kind of reminded him of his touring rig back in the day. He would use two Twin Reverbs and two DeVilles. Wow.

Ni6Qcbj8GqBILDXrZXjKZQ9DI6qA2ySIfaeSGgdgjVIoOQWhMxwu-iC9H2gE-THtmpEIzinrqve2IXQb_-9=w840-h630-no.jpg

Amanda is exempt from all this nonsense. I guess no one ever taught her how to do the setup dance.

Blm9zbBgBRQfe5d5tgPN1AyJRFtnwUdTlt_JHXIVYDuhkw7O7b8Q15BBdRI8_MgMJNWoR-Uors8p4YH4Aq0=w840-h630-no.jpg

Here's the part where the soundman says, "Gimmie some kick drum!"

akhgQ4wiX1iG8Upi5bMnuuP7VkqyKDBsDIDcoKfb1MixEEAlx6dDo10ce4lfE8S2M6UAyNpR1otm8uJima1=w840-h630-no.jpg

Arnie places his pedal board and checks his mic.

qdmchAIkuWQwLLdKU4UEOsYCYPBvxkBSV_QfR0yPedb861vJi1h55YOhB5WDBzxj828XaSJzZO3QHOzf5tA=w840-h630-no.jpg

John continues to plug in all of his keyboards. It's quite a process for him, especially since he started setting up on the other side of the stage and Arnie asked him to move.

Z9YAZve7fVXyYylouakaUqKPxOwnEn_5HT0-j11CWjVY5_Ysm83jqUSwyCxVZeq9DZhFNWlXSR6E1KCLBUd=w840-h630-no.jpg

Here's my backline. I phoned ahead to see if they had a big amp for me but this was all they had. I guess it will do.

j6lOkShl6i-v2aayZpKBVhNT2TsfEsKouOtZkG2WNFVks_k-KiOeMpJ5pwK7mSPxR13-jmC_-qt6PyV1fVB=w840-h630-no.jpg

Amanda and I check our microphones and take selfies.

NvxGnLR4g2jNcsI4-TntzgNHjsgF010KSXXW2sbfAX3aLgXJ98V_W11aNhrSnq9-zrfceyqKUwauGz-b1Mz=w840-h630-no.jpg

I'll be back in the next post with more gig pictures. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    SWRnut, nixdad, Bassed in NZ and 14 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

After our sound check we left the stage so "Twinkle Time" could do their last show and made our way to our green room. It was a pretty nice room with its own work of art. I know this is impressionistic but something looked a little off.

TqU0DyrNEi7RtKIu0qnUMuCy_H5nXZtCGVskFzmXoS2bFe7X3JXl_VllbEXNyOxf1de0QEv0gYjJdpWXErD=w840-h630-no.jpg

My OCD kicked in and I had to fix it. There! What do you think?

l2PbXyoR7M_g2L82cObCLh1umcp6lfyA5Wmu4CoTc_Zmoe9kZ9sYUQYL2Gniq5GroAVaivddR-0NKu__XIR=w840-h630-no.jpg

This is Twinkle Time finishing up their show. "Twinkle" is a very energetic and bubbly personality that is perfect for a kiddie pop artist. She was very good.

WCwAAyrgdIVu_2cwcrwuzrcYJmrbPZNDc4LZIj9fg8lRKVM3CjXaqno-XDSoLeyRK0SVTq1pbg99nmZJYs1=w957-h630-no.jpg

When Twinkle finished her show she and her crew graced us with a couple of pictures.

W7sIQQoBd1iR3vVnj_NsvGxC5f5j2JxYA07l39kb9nFjg8GuGBKiCzDDyLinE_jhH1VsHdWYv1LiGv9CQg8=w840-h630-no.jpg

gL5iOleAKsLF6G9vF4_ejJ2WgXHksbvjSLglo7Tg20Gu8paut7ysrag5ssIgpml3kAUJ2hlmTYYD0NH4BvWZ88kg=s630-no.jpg

Then Arnie Newman's Country Club took the stage to entertain the masses.

CIRzlfX1k1H_g2VaNayBXmCEOXR_UJcVC22u_nkjQhQTRufjegbqOPG_VK_eT4pC47g6X3MvAzxQ1BUhGTv=w840-h630-no.jpg

Jason was happy that he didn't have to hold back. I didn't have to wear ear plugs.

_21FrND1PoO3D1CkODG5opdlymKz681oUVgARxrztrEvRiT-5DRb8nT6NwAHgTyOEcicgvsZD_ynSu0cOyu=w840-h630-no.jpg

Did I say "masses"? It was a very appreciative crowd. We had fun playing for them.

DJz8vbDxErTGvHQm29EWNZXbI0p7tXaDJL_Kp6I1npTC55T107GI52iVAqE0bGIIS3OM7Wvh4y9KM809-Ir=w840-h630-no.jpg

Amanda puts on the show. She's really starting to get comfortable with the band and her performances show it.

ID_FqTZnMfG9oUPLI9RgSTZMsunfvnDtH-St_vDPQKvifkX8rJLaY9HqSDQC7iRcsEA2v6KNtvN8c-Df8yZ=w840-h630-no.jpg

Jason is banging his head. That's why he's a little fuzzy.

Zbal6LZVhxK2sI7fCTAUeZYekPVOuH8Ba8cgEN-RbETewBpk5bebAu36nYJM759Y7ppSF1pLNlN9bIm1ap3=w840-h630-no.jpg

Johnny Fingers plays his big hit. That's Chuck, stage crew, checking his phone. He was taking pictures and video. I'll try to find it.

hO0aKzWcfP7qjHxFf-99uFYTp-JkKJy_GP3rk__MTut4DYayzeSCouSVv3e7rE15zq5vegs9L2x2fMviqg4=w840-h630-no.jpg

On the break Sam, the event coordinator, and Chris took us over to get some fair food. We had some pretty good cheeseburgers and curly fries.

AFF6BP2yyAnCvElexJnWmMpEjZg8t2fLm8rHYDgPsWaoI008ysjn0s9cowHmFg5N2shjz3qag78bubhnksH=w840-h630-no.jpg

Here's your sign, just in case you wanted to see where everything was happening.

znbX2dotyViShlQasGHLA5OSo6oDZBYLqJdUZMDWI5TGE81e_N5FGfqZEUkrrMh7oNj9d-UO59C48H1UOWb=w840-h630-no.jpg

We grab a couple of tables in the bar and enjoy our burgers.

9N62bRyK-sYpDniA29ZrEUmXePzoG2_MPpSvtpcTfAdV5sUJ97TRt5G9pgbiN0nh9up2VKeROc34ft1H6o5=w840-h630-no.jpg

After a quick bite we are back on stage entertaining the minuscule masses.

BmsCVVt-hLcrtR5ixL1soyQRbq0dQcMXxY-rUb72YHAPvWMxUkiYg2xGETUwDaB3pOUN8tH4oWAPeLAKYqs=w840-h630-no.jpg

Let's hear it for Amanda! (Arnie made a joke off mic. "And the crowd goes.....home.)

P0WzULlqA2PxmNzgAdc4fq8imnvZSStGxFRmERkZFLReKZWvEAEGIx0UblfR2ORjfqn1QtyKtuSR1Zn_6i4=w840-h630-no.jpg

We played two sets and then called it a night. I rolled my gear down the ramp out to my trusty Astro van.

Wbf32ZZgquAXGzQpbAuW_fE-usRKSjJQP1kwHIDvFDA5Z9PM5DGZo4Q0juNuo5JBogF9dE4TNt4f8HAP-ed=w840-h630-no.jpg

After loading my gear I took one more shot of the grounds, pretty in lights.

A5Rm4EVNeHfqbxQMW2I_38_eNNZV-O_I0Y1PW8TxN_mb-55opc50D9qzM_wKGrLeyIlTCN8rbO21iPFELUL=w840-h630-no.jpg

Like I said, there was a lot to like about this gig. I just wish there would've been a bigger crowd. At least I was home before 11pm, not bad for a school night. Tomorrow is a private birthday party on Cinco de Mayo. It should be pretty fun. Until then, let's see your gigs too!

BassCliff

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    SWRnut, nixdad, Bassed in NZ and 12 others like this.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If they would have sent that bus for me, I may have actually gone to school. :D

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Oh Mandy.......... well you came and you gave without taking.....but I sent you away, oh Mandy......you kissed me and stopped me from shaking.... and I need youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...............

Am I close?? :D

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    VERY cool. No idea where everybody was at, though!! Nice backline rig, beautiful stage, even a nice drive out there!! Thanks for posting, enjoy the Friday night gig at that "mansion", and catch you later!

nixdad, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  6. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Who needs the masses anyway? Looks like all of you guys had fun. Nice stage by the way. And, ya'll got even some eats. That's a good show to me.

McG likes this.
  7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    heck, best time I ever had there was just the two of us :D

McG likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Sunshine and food and an 8x10 Fridge .
    Life is good.

Sore Thumb, Bunk McNulty and McG like this.
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Man, the Orange Showgrounds have changed since I was last there on the late 70s.

Wow! Two twins on their own is some major firepower. Arnie had no trouble being heard. ;)

I can't believe someone hung that painting sideways. :rollno: I'm sure the artist would thank you. :thumbsup:

Now THAT'S a crowd size I understand. :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nixdad and dbase like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

It was a pretty cool "monster" school bus. You could purchase a ride on it. The wheels turned on both axles so it could do some pretty fancy driving.

It was either that or.... "If you like pina coladas,...and gettin' caught in the rain,..." or something like that.

Thanks! It was a very decent gig at the Orange Show. Too bad it was a weekday crowd. I was off Friday night but have the big party on Saturday evening.

Yep, good gig, didn't mind that one a single bit. :)

Maybe sort of like the first time I had sex? It was dark. I was scared. I was alone. :p

I do like the sound of those rigs but I would hate to haul one around. The only time I use one is when the backline company provides one.

It's been more than 20 years since I was there. It was older but still a good looking facility.

He didn't go nuts like he will sometimes. Being outside on a big stage helps a lot.

It took me a couple of minutes to realize that it was sideways. Once I noticed I had to put it right.

I've been so spoiled lately. I'd certainly rather play for a few rowdy, appreciative people than a big crowd of uninterested chatty Cathys who sit on their hands. ;)

Tomorrow I'll get to see how the 1% live and hopefully entertain them. Wish me luck.

BassCliff

11. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    It's always a good Saturday or Sunday morning when I've got a cup of coffee and Basscliff's latest gig post to read. It's a thing, for sure!

nixdad, McG, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  12. We played a concert last year at a restored grist mill located in a local historical park; we had two paid audience members. Counting the band and our snack providers we outnumbered the crowd by about four to one. The crowd of two were very appreicative; we got paid, and basically had a real- time practice session.

Thump on,

One_Dude

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  13. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Just sitting here imagining the cost in renting the stage, assembling it and taking it down, setting up and running the sound etc etc plus the cost of the band .. and only 10 people in the audience... did someone drop the ball in the advertising dept? ... I know you guys sounded great but all that talent wasted with no audience to appreciate it. Well as long as you got paid... The burgers were looking good and you know we on TB appreciate your efforts.. ;)

nixdad, McG, Bass Man Dan and 2 others like this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey guys,

Ha! Thank you. I guess I'm almost as good as the funny papers. ;)

I hear you. This gig was a nice experience for us. I was hoping to make it a good experience for a large audience too. ;)

The stage, sound company, and lights are there for the entire run of the fair. The organizers just made their plans and hoped for the best. I hope they have a country night next year, maybe on the weekend. There were no "big names" on the main stage this year, probably due to budget. But the budget was big enough for us. :) I'm sure the crowds are bigger on the weekends. It's one of those "free with admission" side shows.

BassCliff

nixdad and McG like this.
  15. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    I think that seeing BassCliff live is now on my bucket list...

nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  16. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Too bad about the turnout but it looks like you still made the most of it. :thumbsup: That audience shot reminds me of Spinal Tap's puppet show warm-up gig at Magic Mountain. :laugh::D
    vbdxertgvhqm29ewnzxbi0p7txadjl_kp6i1nptc55t107gi52ivaqe0bgiis3om7wvh4y9km809-ir-w840-h630-no-jpg.jpg DKYhfRoXoAAkmX8.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    If I had known about this I would have been there as that location is about 10 miles from me and I was free Thursday night. I guess I just need to watch the schedule for your gigs more carefully. :cool:

PS. I just checked on the entrance fee for Thursday's Orange Show and it was all of $2.00! Had I gone I wouldn't have complained about the price.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  17. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    I used to live down there (moved back north to WA a couple of years ago).... The Orange show, when I lived there, Wasn't a big draw, so don't feel bad that there wasn't many people there, you guys looked great though and hopefully it wasn't to hot there.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  18. That is a nice stage set up. I'm kinda liking that "twinkle time" girl.

19. you're very buff

BassCliff likes this.
  20. hey @BassCliff seen lots of these posts and love them, but never sound or video attached. have any you could indulge me with?

BassCliff likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021