1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANB at Stillwater, 1/10/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends and neighbors, in-laws and outlaws,

This was my first gig with the Arnie Newman Band in quite a while. It was a cute little place called Stillwater Spirits and Sounds. They have a variety of entertainment there with Wednesday being their country night. The Orange County two-step folks enjoy the more classic and vintage country music here.

I had a nice long drive down to Dana Point. I was pleased that there was not much traffic and also enjoyed a nice sunset as I pulled off the 5 freeway onto Pacific Coast Highway. You can see the ocean from here.

ZHFrg17ZVPGwsvsoi6oedaiuiCmdbOkl7cFEZjEn4DGfSJ-D1GqJoj_hiaEO99TjZSeHotRW1KsqB-2gU8M=w838-h628-no.

I pulled into the parking lot and found the load-in door right away.

NdqTz5qA5rYUsxlKXHDhP819zeShmbHxO_lZPIpPzRpRSzkg5wKjYbhZLKt9iPj1ZeGOsYdDdWtr3Cv_Hn-=w838-h628-no.

I walked around to the street to get a picture of the place. The front of the little retail complex is actually a music school and library.

9XaUhvOH4JP1PoLlKGppYwFGY8yyc9I9bkdlcfoHa3JWywt_b1P-_45z2aE6JXQO-22yzjyjuDBQrG0AAOb=w838-h628-no.

Stillwater is behind the music school, sort of in the middle of the building with a large patio area outside its main doors.

aB1uPB2LpVClRt5eVYp1wQYW7QsJewTRHIiRgvM1aphxd9Fkaq9FxXvzTZLhVqSUghJ6cH8DZjUy2n-2-J_=w838-h628-no.

Here's the patio bar.

ZD55BHEaZjxi-O_V-rYJOPV2yHRUMonuKvcb5GPbWqU35qRUwoUTQ3u36OSV1-fJmhlmhH8QADkD5VWUOVT=w838-h628-no.

As you walk in the front door you see the dance floor and the stage.

vrPOuy8Tj2EjVzOpja-5aUU3CDxRZ0nJSVfYR6rQMIntzUVktRCf_VEiLCjc_ZO1PDrwezTPN2KmujKgKH0=w838-h628-no.

From the stage looking back to the front door you see the patio bar outside.

qoqnEUCT6QRQMZhUL5QFaakiXArCW9wTw7JyGxvK4ZBBmIw4Jlc1KOppoTWuwcmRMXXTNz87YiMqmsYjW73=w838-h628-no.

It's a small room so I brought my small rig. Arnie brought his tweed. It was a bit much for the room.

lGgZ8OdSVw6l0quBGBlv0oqOppIrFv-y5RTTPWhjR6O2RFccn3zgjWGcUOUf7fGgdLDbxRTk4qUtcI-29ol=w838-h628-no.

After I got my rig set up I took advantage of our food tab. I had the Dana Derby salad, a tasty blend of greens, tomato, grilled chicken, bacon, blue cheese, egg, avocado, etc.

PWW74WduLYQqqIdZFmgQnVoZqg5tRxZEuCdWuWwlpTT2UkWd2LrsnJWnJ7B7wk4eWYMQw5OULeu-KoCobTY=w838-h628-no.

Then Rachael, our "soundman" arrived and got us all wired up. She was a joy to work with.

sMYhKxL5W6vkjn7xy62Vm7CwQaF2bNORLq4zRY5HZ_Bxhp6RS00Wm0OX0_5QQRRvc-2d-wRlF-rQ8oOt1fB=w838-h628-no.

I told her she is the best looking soundman I've ever worked with. Jason (drummer) told her, "He says that to ALL the soundmen." :smug:

I asked Rachael if she'd give me a tour of her soundbooth. She said, "I don't have one. But I have an iPad." All the PA gear is in an ugly pile on the corner of the stage.

Ym6zMjrkTrxcuB5u7KyAAOTTNmNYgjVHJRQ6KsiazMn-xnDLk4JwkBfyFRviUtJEGFJXBDDBzfmtzOPufdA=w471-h628-no.

Then there are a few of these powered JBL speakers around and a sub on stage right.

1k8HobThHRJ0rqPckoQjOVDZ-QiYaNTDI_6dL995xQgiKxMonhhyzpQbO4EfK74RU9oMcQymSrXJ_aFiuAh=w471-h628-no.

It was plenty for this small room. Here we are getting set up and sound checked behind the curtain. Johnny is setting up his "light" rig, only two keyboards rather than four. Francelle can really play that guitar and mandolin.

DKW0p_Jy2fH39BbhgLP8KZUpoKXqDKardy7pB23frSmz01nyDBjzz3LIpB77-IrIuURq8mOdmoK9EGCEowQ=w838-h628-no.

That's a house kit that Jason is playing. He brings his own cymbals and snare.

5FABeatgbPVcvPQNyomMSUnFhaZLw5wGWdp-fxMdG6BEcWhNRDVamUvW8Er7tRmgiZfiHrekdh6lUlYJihL=w838-h628-no.

As we play the first set I notice a friend in the audience. Drummer Dave from the True Willie band stopped in to say "Hi". He lives about five minutes from this place. You might remember that John also plays keys for True Willie.

-kjAanfHnaNqYSkMhi5kj6WkmaVaFM4JoPJcb8aRJjq4BnLrNMFid7o2DCccrJAgjq6TBHljxKk0mGGt0-E=w838-h628-no.

There was a song on the set list that I wasn't that familiar with, "Callin' Baton Rouge" by Garth. I took a picture of Johnny's "chart" to help me through it. His notation is not the best, but it helped. I'll have to either write my own chart or just learn it when I have a chance.

IzU7LoO4MDt22niErt1LfMVL2UqLOTQprPJBLDVkFs7jDXUQISvVXCkIV165OeVsstrlj6hlcmMs25tIHSn=w471-h628-no.

The crowd loves to hear Francelle yodel. She's a really fantastic singer and her yodeling brings the house down.

5JfzRWFK8BUdSTkJg_Vbw7vHD8WcIG2lxDwlf_ceA9wVKzYWYYmgEohnn1WB-lBx5ZBZ3qvG3Wwl1SIJiw7=w838-h628-no.

The crowd shows their appreciation. The place was packed tonight but it's pretty easy to pack a place this small.

Ndv9kID04Vy-6yukDhsq8youuD4l1OZcUNkHCl4Fh67MprWk39UUcE2kHW4XgrXhfOKeWakigtJWXrzn6NM=w838-h628-no.

We played three sets starting at 7pm. I'm glad it was an early night because I had a bit of a drive. Johnny packs up. (You see the PA system's sub-woofer on that side of the stage.)

QkvdRZDJv3mHcjdR0OiiouEJ4FmXtArFfrJ3i2FvCMxjEyHgAtfxuTQnBTiv-qsTCQHhihBx8Bk4zC-j5DX=w838-h628-no.

I was on my way home shortly after 10:30 and arrived just a smidge over an hour later. It's a good thing to be home relatively early on a school night.

I've got another date with Arnie tomorrow at a place called the Old Crow Smokehouse. We'll have a little different set list there because they like more modern country, line dances, and rock. I have to shed more tunes tonight. Then Sunday night we're at the Skyloft in Laguna Beach for their country night. This place is a little inconvenient because it's upstairs but there's a pretty good backline and sound system so you don't have to haul too much gear.

I guess the gig reports will be coming fast and furious. Thanks for looking! Please share yours too. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    OCDave, Wisebass, SWRnut and 32 others like this.
  2. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    VERY cool!! Small places like that are really where it's at, in my book. (In other words, you better be good there, or any mistakes show up, big time!!). One thing about that salad, though. The bowl was all bent. Not good...;)

Wisebass, McG and nixdad like this.
  3. I like that Stillwater bar! We had a guy here in town named Don Walser that was a great yodeler. You may have heard of him? He worked with my dad for 20 years at the National Guard before pursuing his music career.
    Cheers!

McG, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Yodelling is a thing?

BassCliff likes this.
  5. IT IS!!

McG and BassCliff like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Next time hold the Avocados ;)

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It's a thing. ;)

BassCliff

dbase, McG, mwbonsall and 1 other person like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Cliff -
    How did the room sound at Stillwater, and how was the audience?

dbase likes this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

The crowd was great, friendly and fun. The stage itself sounds kinda bad. The walls behind us are all soft, full of sound deadening foam and covered in cloth. It soaks up a lot of sound. I guess that's to help keep the stage volume down. But the room sounds great out front. I had to stand practically on top of my amp so I couldn't really hear it. (I don't have ears in my knees.) I kept turning up my mids to get a little more punch. Rachael said I was the first and only bass player that she didn't have to tell to turn down. There was a decibel meter on the wall and we stayed at 95-100db or lower all night. We'd get a spike to 105 but Rachael was very happy with us. She laughed when we told her that we're used to playing at 87db at The Ranch. :p

BassCliff

Wisebass, Spidey2112, dbase and 3 others like this.
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Cliff. Glad to hear you guys had a good time!

Does the stage have enough room for The F8? You've seen us play and know the amount of real estate we take up. However, we have crowded into a restaurant bar before.

Possibility, or no chance at all?

dbase, McG and BassCliff like this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I'll be interested to see the Skyloft gig report. The only live music venue I've been to around there is the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano.

nixdad, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    HI Chris,

It would be pretty dang tight. Even though you don't have a lot of amps on stage you'd be crowded with all your monitors. I think you could do it if Dale and Doug could both fit on the drum riser. The rest of you could be in front. I've been on smaller stages with a 6-pc band.

BassCliff

nixdad and dbase like this.
  13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I've never been to Skyloft either. I've played at the Coach House a couple of times. I'll let you know! ;)

BassCliff

dbase likes this.
  14. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Thanks Cliff. Looks like a little change is okay, and maybe welcome. Looking forward to the new band gig reports.

Mark

BassCliff, nixdad and dbase like this.
  15. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Question, Cliff, and it's perhaps impertinent for me to ask, so feel free to refuse an answer.
    But you have said that it was time for you to move on from KRB, to play music more to your choice and such.
    Can I ask - does this move hurt your pocket?

16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice little gig there Cliff. My daughter used to live in Dana Point and we went on a Sunday afternoon when an acoustic duo was playing. Cool place.

OK, that is seriously impressive talent!! How does she breathe though? I see lots of air coming out and not much going in. Whew :woot:

17. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Shyeah... I'll hold them in my belly!!!

McG, Spidey2112 and BassCliff like this.
  18. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Nice job on your experience there. Cool place, great pictures.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Looks like another fine establishment, BassCliff.

As an aside, I love "Callin' Baton Rouge"... fun tune. I learned it from New Grass Revival quite a few years before Garth got a hit out of it too. ;)

McG and BassCliff like this.
  20. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Oh, god, yeah no......