1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANB at Stones Throw Winery, 10/25/20

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Oct 25, 2020.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends and neighbors, in-laws and outlaws,

It was a rare gig (Aren't they all?) on a Sunday afternoon for us, Arnie Newman's Country Club Band, a.k.a The Hairy Legged Pickers. Amanda wasn't on this gig. Bummer. She really pretties up the band. We played an event at the Stones Throw Winery in San Juan Capistrano.

sunday-hallowine-gig-jpg.jpg

Iva Lees is a New Orleans style eatery here in the OC. I must say, their "Fred Chicken" was excellent. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It was a pretty gloomy day when I left my humble abode to begin the trek into the OC. The clouds were threatening. In fact, it did rain on me a little bit during my commute.

yyUmOIoQla9BCzCg1LbmeHA-vMydll217ms9xb2oQw3OVxS1_NKEEAEcoZDWCzNKPinuagA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

The winery was on a frontage road next to the freeway right where Google maps said it would be.

DA6YYhAtz9SDDtQMwbMlFE99skTyr3Q1qxIWuRIVIpH2utukUuPO6yiDHhgbkpQrOJ0KMTQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

It was a charming, welcoming place.

1HFKLdItxv6NzgxEe8a_qG2D5mcDVnqi9vx5lxBXnP5Mwgc1oMEQ69Oiq3zkMvN7UA4jf1A=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

It looks like the old farmer's house who used to run the citrus farm that used to be here. This property is supposedly the oldest citrus grove in Orange County.

I92pJVTHyGjHelZx9Z_cJV_53O9QlpllXPsANqHQUHYlhfvoc9JWjIuhaFt-kTYrkzMRyzw=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Of course, being the hired help I had to pull around back. We opened the corner of the tent to make load-in easier.

2ehnj-HjklqHqQCWIdchrRg7HYIKWXGcxHSXlmw7OPSJBN7IXKlAdu_ipwKnb60zwAQt-HA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

This was the sign next to my parking spot. I guess I had better watch out. Since the day started off a bit cool I don't think the snakes will be too active.

fKNSVj3vO6AErWAPkRjJoQJTDibSMqMMse-V6mAiB2U90gBYLplM0h6C3l6WwVCEb--00Dg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Arnie and Jed were already here, almost done with the PA. I just had to help with the sub. I suggested putting it right in the middle. That's the way Alabama does it.

9HWfoXu6TFIpcyvsm0VuOUWmDAAksTR-DrVVv1ZpdBSud2X1hcmrus4j95acG5_eSJS8juA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

After I got set up I said "Hi" to an ex-girlfriend. She's lost a little weight lately.

yWJFF1YqB9fzcsEOAGNUCXhBez9mJ1JSRX8-ck9S8SscP8n71qp28WwnYw_csclybXLJ8fQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

It's a lovely venue. The tent was nice. I just wish the weather was a little better. It never rained on us and the sun eventually came out for a bit and warmed us up.

d78PfvgOrYFRyS4K18lGHXI2U8c2wMmDCbHpmKO325mYfAV4QHtu_gwcw8lcZmgBSelUp7w=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I don't know why but my mask makes me look like I've got two black eyes.

eqrQ3xDko8vuZAysHmRWFqGEoI4xTU9CYOdQA2YREwFrKl6snjI69khn1UoU3otvr2qNGpw=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Even the pumpkins were "socially distanced" in front of the stage.

5Dcu_XW3RZzM75-kA1hg4HPbUsfE_tRZ0A-0wp8QhV8IS8QrZpiNU_PRcrOrFIz3rb-xr8w=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Look at that! This was the amp that Arnie used today. It wasn't any bigger than a distortion pedal but packed 44 watts. This little rig sounded great.

90XNXKSUt5L2g3iyi7qT0UAfw5bS0qvqucjHRAZ5C2wzhkspGuoUnnTZWbGcIh-PmfX3kpg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I think it really helped that Arnie got rid of that monster of a pedal board he was using in favor of this Kemper unit. It has all the sounds, and remembers them.

qvSZMEbJP3WETYANIweT19CAafyVV2u--T1U9Rvjrth_xeHb1bOYcd-nrI_-0GXwXxsbteQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

This was my IEM mixer today. It sounded great and will remember my mix for next time. Cool!

N_IOLidrv89wEZ7xgJci8oAK33K_oViSyaGCxnMXErTIRMdeC83APUdupgD-bK_aGWRddzA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And you've all seem my rig hundreds of times. Today I brought the Jazz Special with flats because we were playing pretty traditional country.

FyRBvuCN-CVGDrtAUA0ayldc1X9TukSFaNfx9cCS6gKVTLAbnSGpQsYxZOqOrKyPMfCmpIg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's a view of the venue from the stage. Looking pretty good.

qodtlrF-GK8e_UCOMiVWbIeBVyv0cNnJ3tS7G6TdDI96YPGM5eDkDB0M5u-1VOowxIIKYIw=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I think we're done with sound check, hence the empty stage while we all change into our cowboy clothes.

qjiDq4cpFWQE9-zvLTDk586Z3ejAxrq3wQWpd_JsHsBvv1awfBBbd4WeTQDUp9kzX-HEd2w=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I don't think we did too good on tips today. The weather scared a lot of folks away. Or maybe it was that tiny person stuck in the tip jar.

YCAPS3qqwy55BOeCaQAN7DVfQSgKFZdR0S853Hh7ABXR9HnfhodcnvB7HdtEU4C9LjaxZRQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'll be back in the next post to finish up the gig. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, Jimmy4string, Vinny_G and 41 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

As we start our show this nice young lady brings up refreshments for the band.

mTL14fF9-Zah83vdDX_Ru8x2AzquNiHDD7kwTJIKk5ETo_kUr-UEMOsvT9wOjS1jOTykRdg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

She was nice enough to bring up a Sam Adams. Good stuff. I had another with supper too.

crabacCuDAO2eGR_xNOSV6_oejiOsODqH1ctNUS8yuPhcfDWs-Vx13cig_o75FyZymlMm2Q=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And away we go! John wasn't here today either. Just Arnie, Jed, Paul, Dave, and this old country bass player. We played pretty straight country all afternoon. It's what they wanted to hear.

5a7YOqIZE4YaQ9lq3_sKVf6KDWuvqQlh9OI4uIRwgbsZ2J97D9bfRJKLSQSnA8c-cl1dU8A=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

We're on a break now. Unfortunately this event was lightly attended. Everyone had fun, there just weren't very many "everyones".

X0qEk9lF4OQmgSZV7O9wx8ZvQlpq7ByEw8mK3mJ1TJWH80b4rPgisb9y9K3-LcUOP-nIlgA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

There are quite a few orange trees left on the property but it seems nobody maintains them.

hwjpd_mB5MzHbTmWK4LYwf0-7sPx2zZXA69GInhtI6QQ1OnEPqyyzortkIQwBZHp0kQuGvQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

We are back for the second (of three) sets while folks dine and drink.

xg5dEH-jTMy2P0HHO-0omI7kt_Z8_iNvwnSHJFpbavX3joU6f_ef0-q9O_gLxuGqDWcUm5w=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

I told the crowd, "I've just released a new fragrance! But nobody on stage likes it." Ba-dum-pum-tish!

OPaEC7cFdtb_ORqmWEqZoNB4jRQQBkeClH4ENOM1Z0OuaunaLp5h9Ww4M-C1Z3qxMy0rGHw=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

On our second break the band makes its way to the feeding trough.

9sNIn-wmiMD6NObquv43pphrMJfAnIlj0Xcy-fdIN2VxvezkDKAOFs3g74IPBhg4k6Nm5FA=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Oh boy! I've been waiting to try this "Fred" chicken.

BBJJ5OP9j5pn690Nu7na_JLdP-EhEcOe7w_rlWsOGJ0I9FI99yAms7QHrmsrwlrHu329ayg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

Wow! This was really good fried chicken. It was a very institutional piece of chicken but was prepared excellently. We enjoyed a nice meal.

Jp383gngaxVEXChbRkWSjLCt0KVEPUjRfSjjRLje1bY-z4YGySeleDJnH8kPY_FK5mzTkHw=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

The dessert table was happening too!

pIB4TqRP8NmJCFIoMil1xitbqi6LvsiMr14CrE-in1m8C-OfTnp7zdworLTtlFSCN5EUgnQ=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And we are back for one more set.

gweBEmXoNpRXyPk4mRpEc-E_qZ-dOTGHI0UOUZaLYbHKluA0TmQRsiqYjzoxDg4wv7zQifg=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

We found out that there is a band following us, we had no clue. No biggie. That just meant that we could quit a little earlier than we had planned so we could clear the stage for the next group.

nqaLi8sOJcuT6R4zVMRPfwo-yEmioWAvGTbCh33Sh3j_MPzWkvWx3vlwsd8OtFHGjgeP3Ag=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

We cleared the stage quickly and the other musicians started putting their gear up. All in all, a pretty cushy gig. I was home by 6pm, even after stopping by the store to pick up some suds. They were out of my fav Stone FML but they had my favorite hazy IPA. This one is just tart enough, just wheat-y enough, and at 6.2% you don't have to drink a lot to get relaxed after a gig.

H-sZ_lIcLp4yFUYM6Z1xtqY1yneax1lYxidW8j3k2DM7Gc523B0LrXWOXRQZqY230PR7Sow=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And that was my Sunday afternoon gig. We haven't played on a Sunday afternoon since the last time we were at Swallows Inn, December of last year IIRC. Dang, I miss that place. I guess I miss'em all. Anyway, thanks for putting up with me. I don't think we have a gig next weekend so Paul and I were talking about going out to the range. That'll be fun. Until next time, Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, Jimmy4string, Vinny_G and 49 others like this.
  3. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice one Cliff! Unusual to not see blue skies in your gig report but looks like you got to have some fun - and the chicken looks great! I’ve got a Sunday afternoon gig next weekend which is unusual for me too - it’s part outside so hope the weather holds. Had a couple of gigs last two weeks - gotta get around to posting!
    Thanks for sharing mate - always good to see one of your report

4. Looks like a perfect outdoor setup; you're sheltered from the weather but still socially distanced. We get fed sometimes, but yours looks much better than what we get. We have an early evening gig for a Halloween party at an independent living facility on Thursday; it's our first indoor date since March, so we'll see how it goes. Many gigs here get cancelled at the last minute due to the Covid business, so stay tuned.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey; it's always interesting and fun.

Thump on,

One_Dude

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Right next to the Glass Houses condo development, I bet. ;)
    Impossible.

Love,
    Albert Hammond
    Now that's cool!
    Ha! People always ruin everything.

whero, Tony In Philly and BassCliff like this.
  6. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Pretty casual gig, @BassCliff . Are you sure that was chicken? :chicken:

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Food shots were awesome.. Thanks

So now we are drinking on the job?
    cliff beer.jpg

8. Even with a small crowd of "everyones" we who can't gig are jealous that you're out there playing.

And no one does food shots like you!

Thanks for sharing Cliff!

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

gotta love that "fred" chicken! yowza! :thumbsup: thanks for sharing all of that cliff! reminds me of the 'good old days'!

BassCliff, dbase and Tony In Philly like this.
  10. Awesome stuff Cliff, as always. that menu looked great, and the chicken looked on point. Food don't need to be fancy or fussy, just done right. Always fun reading your gig reports. :thumbsup:

BassCliff likes this.
  11. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You haven't seen my Meatloaf shot

12. :smug::D:roflmao:

BassCliff likes this.
  13. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    nice gig!..real snazzy setup, thanks for the photos

BassCliff likes this.
  14. kwdhsk

kwdhsk

Oct 26, 2009
    Southport, NC
    Cliff - I guess I haven't been paying attention. What happened to the 6 string? BTW I have a Carvin (Kiesel) B25 that I love. As usual, your reports are very entertaining and I look forward to them. :)

BassCliff likes this.
  15. I double dog dare ya.

BassCliff likes this.
  16. Blame the weather, the rattlesnakes but never the band for the empty tip jar. :confused: Bet Amanda would've got tips :thumbsup:

BassCliff likes this.
  17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Cliff -- I recently picked up New Belgium's latest Imperial. Give it a go as it might not be around long. Like your Stone, it's also 8.5%... and this one's a hazy. It's quite good... although I sure do wish NB was gonna keep making their Voodoo Ranger Starship IPA which was absolutely delicious.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.17.09 PM.png

BassCliff and dbase like this.
  18. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I've just gotta ask, why did you put gravy on that perfectly crisped fried chicken?? :roflmao:
    3gngaxvexchbrkwsjlct0kvepujrfsjjrlje1by-z4ygyseledjnh8kpy_fk5mztkhw-w1280-h960-no-authuser-0-jpg.jpg
    Thanks for sharing Cliff!:thumbsup:

Jimmy4string, BassCliff and dbase like this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Shelter, stage and food = Good gig.

BassCliff likes this.
  20. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    It's a country thing.. ;)

BassCliff likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020