1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANB at Swallows Inn, 11/04/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Nov 5, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey, howdy, hey!

Me and the ANB continued our weekend OC dive tour with a Sunday afternoon at Swallows Inn in San Juan Capistrano. This place has been around forever, has a lot of character, and has a lot of characters. In fact, if you look it up on the Google Maps it says "Funky country-western bar with dancing".

144soOaAbf2b8FGO7Ya849iwsh8xdv4Vs7EORNIRT5P_bNPeOJI4Z3JVzpdp2iEZpdzrfcua-C9VKOwtBUg=w463-h618-no.

Driving down late on a Sunday morning was easy because of the reduced traffic.

7sJec4U5-fx2jHJw83FqYLNbcxaze7cR7ysSZDHl-p6RQ8b-UN2_gAwwEaQJYaYS3FuerI0OEa1wnkfEJAw=w852-h639-no.

The bar is just down the street from the Mission at SJC.

2bK0Yq-Fe5b8RpVWWnFwojsaUB34VrRjbhz6viqeAnZhboRZ7ctrioezt4issKea4If8yTUhtElnsxqSUzQ=w852-h639-no.

I took a left at this light and pulled into the parking lot behind Swallows.

e8cmQEd1QBJQFz-rFatocvLot2uCWvtaNX74zWG0V9l8wRsKi5cOClxiHR_APepaAig2C_GByvkgz0HY2bA=w852-h639-no.

But alas, there was no parking available. The parking is atrocious around here. I drove around for a few minutes and found parking on the street at the end of the block. I took it because, what they heck, it wasn't as far away as where I have to park for Downtown Disney. I rolled my gear up to the stage door.

TFcH762H1mmYw5JWSUjNCPZbhBdbwHnwVwxeCDycMxUFCNimga9vDzskyDirGX3n4GXSfLrb34TBywzl7aQ=w852-h639-no.

When you step in the stage door you are right on the stage. This is your initial view.

RC0cPejNjGgRBzb70nwK7EWGFA9Aa_O5OGScdwX43bR6WumDMCPPc2UWdR_devX8fZUB-tgBi8yKcgDKh4A=w852-h639-no.

Surf boards, golf clubs, ladies underthings, boots, and just about anything else you can think of is attached to the walls and ceilings for atmosphere.

mWBEmpqJxxDrlXk3xAtQ3GQJU4-i11JbKdEunVhdhl5ysACHE47B-E4vIMqk3rp3FEUzxhe3YaEKbjZ3xJA=w852-h639-no.

John has his stuff on stage already. He'll be right back. Some of the ladies' delicates are even autographed.

7HNZLXNgn-r9MERT1_vW04dD-KloBzTxgcdCWmmhl8VzKWpMYzG9GvwfUMPWp-eBOExpRotB-M2L_2i5Hkw=w852-h639-no.

Looking at the stage from the dance floor you see the front window. The stage door has the "Dilly Dilly" sign on it. Most of the time we leave the door open while we're playing.

FVXhhjIlqbzwn39oVv0AtMhMVDYMnrclWBJyiz4rJVqhU8xNavGZcE2d4uwILthnyG1HvWzMp8szw39bU3w=w852-h639-no.

There were a few TVs around but most people were dancing once we got going. I was able to watch the Saints game. Sorry Rams fans.

FEj9x0s6lIrgaUCaizF2abax_clHpN7VXCX6lqNY_lpKODBVrw4fN3au7J_RNc78pqTZyuuBjynoXh9V3TA=w852-h639-no.

I brought my small rig. But I forgot to sign the wall. Next time. I signed it once about fifteen years ago but it's been painted since then.

gU1GSP94T7K-3HuKJ8Cu7Hw2zv-GIxcDKE8iSepR1K5ug1_8L9Qtoz2LxhlfRksxa3-uUGWVFmT53Bu6bjA=w852-h639-no.

The whole gang is here now and we do the setup dance on the small stage. Our buddy, Drummer Dave from True Willie, is working with us today. This is his warm-up gig in preparation for our next trip to Gilley's in Las Vegas. Jason can't do Vegas this month.

QHBPtZF78r1OggDj1Pff8cEDtEcAL1monsxp0SwNmrER4uXW0V5TK4YlxvJ43L53_czruWTRj2wdzb59Gyw=w852-h639-no.

Dave says he's been looking forward to this gig all week. Dave is solid. I love working with Dave. More drummers should be like Dave.

nFGdQfFUHGHvTvtP4zRY3vJeFYQl4B_bmD0_CHSYxapPhxVibprHur_VgZSEFWPDo9r1y2f5e2QT0aQHPvg=w852-h639-no.

His Mapex kit sounds great without being too loud. It looks like we are just about ready. We do a very quick sound check, grab some beers, and get to work.

sUlszA3cTctj0rAcRXE00Fn-6w4vGV-xgbfU4iMFQoxetjey52RzFhYbLe33_0EzFCaRrc7aQeqx-4Dgbiw=w852-h639-no.

The is the bar room. The dance floor room and the bar room are separate with two connecting doorways and large picture windows between them. Yes, it's kind of funky.

uobUGwqx-O3CDWBWid73qf31RwEreEtDb8pwDw4VH5QjAJoauUDL8DwYD-dDcC1pQ5OEYBP55aJk__A8TjQ=w852-h639-no.

We are looking through the south door back across the dance floor at the stage.

hdbVkoTrp3803mhq2iCeHOAFVrlutcS7_mK5gX1ygNUWf5XnlbjLAP2GR8-eDPvDeNEkhSoOS_pq40Fjz6g=w852-h639-no.

We step through the door and look across the dance floor.

VZVwaFC20C8Y14JPBigBxrMYaICb2EwxGszs_YwbgwhfY28BfDa2KosZmlndvfOEDDsGm5NRsPUcGKozB7A=w852-h639-no.

It's a great two-stepping crowd this afternoon. The floor was packed the whole time. I'll be back in the next post to finish up this gig. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Here's John banging away on his keyboard. I'm sure glad he brought only half of his rig.

B4vGOrAA9V9_zt-R0h2iQp5wzMWC1mnHKQCC_LG_dDgpZrbmeI4_6nGdL3JHeHKYf-RMZ4AYiQLTydpovvw=w852-h639-no.

Dave is having fun. He's fun to work with too. Dave really did his homework.

1qYkNa7L4yu9eMCOJL1r0uXY7wEhXmP9LVPA6QOgwq3qvwiA3uVEjlAC4CcmT3ty92Dx2XK2WSs74gPJV0Q=w852-h639-no.

One the break we talk about how much fun we're going to have in Vegas.

ldZBbFbotvCOLHzohjyAzCwRaTHcwfuWwwNiFzd9UYBiZKYpABwRgHv0YAgsHgDt4f3IP2JXHFecWC47lGw=w852-h639-no.

Then we're back at it. The crowd was very nice to us, bought us a couple of drinks and tipped us generously. They loved our old school country.

-HXjFfiRM637A845dmeky2ookf9kWLe2ZSLnzlpYzhaJjLCwzMVfY1BDWwa-KR2-A65HWRTXiGCVOe_T8sw=w852-h639-no.

3bdhhD2F43QD8qklGjQdZwhKFXT2pJX7I9Dvgwl0uPKPm3cLh-eeB6Zfrq17WIypMjP7XO-3YApnPoEl3dQ=w852-h639-no.

We played from 2pm to 6pm on a Sunday afternoon. It's actually a pretty good deal because you still have time to make another gig if you have one. We used to pull doubles all the time back in the day. We packed it up and said our goodbyes.

gVsSa7BA3-BLoIXYZP9NefSD-ysYatt2GjPQhx61KvZHTSVz7F4DZBxzOUdG9dtYEaR6jw0FjK18cZdctlg=w852-h639-no.

I loaded up my cart to roll it down to the end of the block. I think there's a guitar player hiding behind my gear.

_F1CREAtTV4hksVqFD8KbDtjvyqmP4ebaI_W90QKmrTW3GJiEyvaL9VXf9d_SYcb14P9OSBwFgj_-XJsIqQ=w852-h639-no.

This funky little place is fun. It's a dive but it's a cool dive. I wish it wasn't so far away.

I have no gigs this week but I'll be pretty busy next week. Thanks to you guys who share your gigs too. It's great stuff.

BassCliff

SWRnut, MrLenny1, fretter and 24 others like this.
  3. I see in that fifth picture that all of your fans showed up. :D

4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Looks like a great time at one of the most iconic bars in So Cal. :cool:

It looks a lot like Mother's Tavern in Sunset Beach. Another iconic dive bar. Have you ever player there? It makes Swallows look like a massive dance hall. :laugh:

So you have 3/4 of True Willie's band. A virtual all star lineup! :thumbsup:

Jason is great but you don't lose anything having Dave sub. He's as solid as they come. Is he singing any songs with you? He's quite a good singer.

It was a pretty tough room at Big Shots. Glad you only had to wait a few hours for a good crowd.

5. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    See you in Vegas, @BassCliff . If you have time and are interested, I’ll take you on a tour of the hangar and the Gulfstreams, and whatever else might be open.

garp, Kitsapbass, McG and 2 others like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Cliff :)

Very cool place! :thumbsup:

They painted the wall you signed? That 's bad! :sour:

Maybe you should do it like the ladies and leave something more "delicate", that will stay. :D

What about a G- string? :laugh:

thx a lot for sharing!

greetings

Wise

McG and BassCliff like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Just about the whole fan club! :D Yup, they go to no expense to make sure the clientele is comfortable. ;)

Swallows Inn is an iconic spot alright. I've never been to Mother's Tavern. That sounds like it could be a Bassmigos destination! :D

I was thinking about that too. If we added Guitar Mike to the ANB the possibilities would be endless. Dave did do a little singing with us at Swallows. He's concentrating on learning ours' and Amanda's material so he wasn't too concerned about his songs. Dave does sing good harmony parts and has better pitch than Jason. The band is definitely not diminished but having Dave sub in.

Bigshot's was OK. I'd heard a couple of things, recent occurrences, that may have contributed to the weird vibe we had at our initial performance there. I wish we would've had more time to inform our OC two-stepping crowd. They love us at Stillwater and at Swallows. We'll see what happens if there is a next time.

Hey Tony, I'd love to. Sounds like fun. We'll talk. :)

Ha! Oh, I don't know. I'll leave my mark the next time we play there. When I first started playing there the stage was right in front of the window that faces the street, on the other side of the stage door. When they moved the stage they painted over my first graffiti work. After the stage moved I autographed the door jam on the other side. I'll have to find something memorable, quirky, to leave for historical significance. :p

BassCliff

Wisebass, Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Good crowd, nice lookin' place...I'm sure an OUTSTANDING band...what's not to like??!!:cool:

9. Good crowd for a good band, the perfect mix.

I love the visually over stimulated decorations.

10. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Looks like a fun gig. Any feedback problems in that place?

BassCliff likes this.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I see you took a photo of your "fan club"!

pejnjggrbzb70nwk7ewgfa9aa_o5ogscdwx43br6wumdmcppc2uwdr_devx8fzub-tgbi8ykcgdkh4a-w852-h639-no-.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    pablomago, Wisebass, Road Hat and 6 others like this.
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

It's a funky little room but everyone I know loves to play there. It's got a great vibe.

Thanks, it was a good, fun night. I did not post a picture of the wallpaper in the men's room. That would get me banned. :woot: :nailbiting:

If you get too loud you can get some feedback. But there are generally enough decibel absorbing units in the place to alleviate that issue.

During the summer it can get pretty stuffy in there. The patrons will take those fans and put them wherever they need them. It's a nice, homey touch that adds to the funky-ness of the place. :)

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, McG, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  13. The thing about Cliff's post that make them so good is that you actually feel like it is happening to you. I call it 'Virtual Cliff' giging.
    :)
    Looks like a nice afternoon and who doesn't like old school country?!
    bucky.

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I love those funky old watering holes. A sunday afternoon gig gets two thumbs up in my book.

15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Mother's is a tiny place for beer drinkers, motorcycle riders and hot sweaty music. I love the place. :cool:

Outside
    Mothers outside.

Inside (That's about half the tables. Maybe 20 chairs in the whole place. Bands squeeze into a corner on the right.) :D
    Mothers inside.

My friend Lazy Brad Lewis rockin' the place last year. You can't see it but the guy in the yellow hat on the left is playing a B3. Man, it was an effort getting it in there. :woot:
    Brad at Mothers.

It would be a fun Bassmigos place except the only food available is pizza delivery from the place down the street. :laugh:

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Is this place up your way Grant ?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

The place looks great! Hey, I know Lazy Brad. I've worked with him before. Small world.

BassCliff

Jimmy4string and Sore Thumb like this.
  18. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Scott. Mother's is about 10 miles north of me. About 20 miles north of Laguna. Next time you're in town we should go there. :thumbsup:

Small world indeed. I've never worked with Brad but I've attended several of the musicians Christmas jam parties he hosts at his house. Super nice guy. Do you know Tom Richmond, the harp player in the photo? He's one of the best harp players I ever played with.

Jimmy4string and bluesblaster like this.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Well it started to snow today so maybe sooner than later;)

McG likes this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

I don't know Tom. I did a pickup gig at a golf club with Brad, Jeremy Long, and Mario from the KRB. Here it is... The Lazy Brad Lewis Band at Virginia Country Club 04/27/14

I've been too busy to work with Brad lately. But we stay in touch.

BassCliff

McG and Jimmy4string like this.