BassCliff w/ANB at Sweet Onion Festival, 4/28/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Apr 29, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Greetings and Felicitations!

Me and the ANB had a bit of an adventure this past Saturday traveling to and playing for the Imperial Market Days and Sweet Onion Festival. It's an annual street fair that features vendor and food booths and an exciting onion eating contest. Imperial and the other towns north of El Centro are basically farming communities and have that great small-town feel to them. The whole event was laid back, no pressure, no hurry, have fun, relax. Pretty cool.

XCPuVft2wdgjAgnwdat0flNffYE5RplpJMgFD7Uw6e7DWK5rU_2WLvd3x7HWqYFt77z8phq1RRRFs4ktqb=w1200-h600-no.jpg

We had a 4pm load-in time with a 5pm downbeat. I thought that might be cutting it close so I planned to be there by 3pm just in case. I was at Johnny's house a little past 11:30am to load his gear along with mine into the trusty Astro van.

I brought my "large" rig and John brought his full rig so we had Bob van Astro loaded up pretty good.

-9XqQ6z8O3BoenVWVyeK9A4gbJE6Aa9hyHHpw5Jx0w1gucYipC6FZ9DFiU2RLG8rXCcS13IvvORHsOVaV6=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We even had stuff in the back seat.

ubrQ9Xs2Us316jCW9lcLyhkCjUfVYZ1bcgEzWCMwqsbrRlYsbbVl-0e-TotTfa2pqa-uvpYqH_K_p1QrkH=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We got on the road just about noon expecting to drive for three hours to make the 175 mile journey. We drove past Palm Springs, past Indio, and then headed south beside the Salton Sea.

0oNwGCccUAsgMAdvf-nmPrR-bVWoS5agzIz8eMPvFAr4NHMKeYofj_YAdLGHsEbHYmlpaz0Et96-b2oCf6=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It's a huge inland sea that is below sea level almost as much as Death Valley. There's wildlife, recreation, beaches, and a little resort of sorts at Salton City and Salton Sea Beach.

jfgZeZ1Ccs-6K1ocg8csmitHEhyPbH63AP4qjqb7QTHxEKNlyDrc2b4d_i1sUdt294MPwkE_nFsLBFYfKQ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

After we drove past that huge body of water (about 350 square miles) it got really desolate.

sBUekvpDpREimyH3koJkuZ27c3OzWJm1cQy2_bPsSTCCZ1DAAODmR-RRgDnFkC0QHGYACxVWtSRqe8HIYe=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It was quite windy today. We could see the sand "walking" across the road until we got back to some civilization. We took some side roads through some farmland, around the towns of Westmorland and Brawley, that gave us a more direct route to the gig.

VXOO45Qvq2s8yRK97618KIQy5fuz3Oj173ZC5ft9be3JCbNBeeFkVZjh5sbCMIUwooLNK3XWU2q7bEeQ38=w1062-h796-no.jpg

John and I made great time. We arrived at downtown Imperial a little past 2:30 and parked right behind our stage. We used the Circle K restroom for our green room. As long as we made a purchase they didn't mind.

NhN6b6UjzM-Aeq8_W-L3VfbAODEI-ERMilrB-Nku3BrPZPnmmqIOIqgZI6F2lswgxiI5gz-Q5TbXVVi-RA=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We were the first to arrive. The sound company wasn't even here yet. Last year the band had to start two hours late because of the sound company. So John and I decided to go next door to the local brewery, Humble Farmer, where there would be a big cornhole contest later.

LuB30oDT0d1Mnb05_V2lirBDBaN5YdjGzMYtEUDLhdXAAbDVOXDcU8pPKGcBg2rz4AiuA4m5QdS4iSO4z2=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Corry introduced us to a nice stout, a carrot ale, and let us sample a few others.

Sbkg825gT4wkRzMkMi7bF9vyeWiq6JxYiqD553VCdR_0u63Zg3ZdMC0BJO4dMpIIyAVP_7CXKHmuqkXYOv=w1062-h796-no.jpg

After our refreshment John and I went back to the stage and found the rest of the band. Arnie, Jason, and Amanda had all ridden in Arnie's truck.

MLt1v5jzMcLOO5KW3qY-0U6mqpg16ySmyiBHS8N_H_ijxZRgTJn7vMlPwOicZ9vB9IayE8kbM_H9h--nAZ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It looks like the sound company is here. That's good. We might start on time. The street vendors and city workers are getting the place ready for our party tonight, setting up tents and stringing lights.

a64EgUlIPJQN56yf_qPSKPtpC8f6yrPhTE-JZsh6bH7paiAk-SGFUNAQqUMMfRuEInAXmvxOaIwsxLd_gZ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Behind Jason setting up his drums you see Noah, the one-man stage crew, and Steve, our sound man, getting things wired up.

VLvEDn49_IhO-RmfgfpBb2eiEwSszy7rGr1Z_QuNwNcYYGV6_-ycH0B15oiT8PXGFiVpJAckYrcMWznPGE=w1062-h796-no.jpg

There was an issue with the sub-woofer. The sound company owner, Keiko, is going to bring another. Let's hope it gets here on time. Steve will be using a good old analog A&H board. I don't mind analog at all.

6R7n5LUNPSJG3gXLsJ7R-tc6IEXeJxwmpcFRs9SeOict-8eSsGFR4kd1SV7GhvmmnmdMawZc7YufEL0K47=w1062-h796-no.jpg

This is the view looking north on Imperial Ave. from the intersection at Barioni where the stage is located. The atmosphere is anticipatory excitement like everyone is having fun setting up and getting ready to have fun. You can hear it in the conversations and revelry.

QKmUM9-xq1gP9SY0f_3hCTkuZOA-DCg41iYdvRDEHWnaRJlrMr9JFiCLG3r1dWt539x_0otACh4GERJwqm=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I'm glad I brought my larger rig (GK410Neo) because Arnie ended up bringing two amps "since we were playing outside".

8bFa9fQVQAnNwpmtgwCkBQRt4hwKbeuSSVW40e2o9oS4fui-87vtlidekiqzEzRia1fLJ6HKoW00YDeX3p=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I think next time I'll bring two amps also. You see that the city has decorated the stage with hay bales and onions. I think it looks perfect.

8GPNQ0Gpc5EkrBMo5eyNi2orNfek4_eZSvrzWYqeymWSQhcXyiq_I_5jlhEHf3TQ1lT4-H6eXhmu71HilN=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The sound crew had some trouble getting their PA sorted. The sub eventually got there. There were issues with the monitors. Arnie and Amanda ended up sharing a mix. The sub eventually went out but they got it sort-of working again. We started an hour late. But nobody seemed to mind. Everyone was enjoying themselves. Here's Amanda hoping to hear something from her monitor. Steve worked hard and got it going.

8Gty-etKjMLI-nnCmAqxQx5036Cd2dlO4W3F1R0PZG5EAaD9VrfVpRLzBRf8h-xQReZdceD1xyLVqXseWU=w1062-h796-no.jpg

John and Jason get their monitor mixes dialed in.

Dx12OPyoS0drHDg_0F5xW6myGGvq09MohoAQ9N1sbAfwQeNVYRn-n6biBwCGUirRVWQIek7cF7PIR6T9l4=w1062-h796-no.jpg

There's our girl! Now she's happy that she can hear herself sing. It's going to be a good night.

dNLktWIBM32jJ4TtR1RvLUrJlyajNf2ros0tDnUBQnZlsx8TKp5WWlbtncF-JOb3GWobkVJaxDp8BT90KW=w1062-h796-no.jpg

I'll be back in the next post to finish the gig. Thanks for looking !

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

After a quick sound check we put on our cowboy clothes and got started.

XsVIDwWZWlnRSspYXC1qGPh6sPjrQf35xIqRgVO9_oYz_eeZYmEo6koJViKrnTyrnzCBTbSBK560qp0fgZ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

It was a warm, windy day. We were uncovered and facing west, looking right into the sun.

F4D5i1o6D998TmRVTKh3dPdkZhxFjYzR_rm2cRrzGra2LPegOS9o821UwWonBtS-s2TWgGCHyGEn7w7u8p=w1062-h796-no.jpg

But we just put on our hats and glasses and had a great time.

Ikdr_YDksHW7Z6exgRHBqL8HzSAcHH-X0bHoYEMdOoN-7uo5lyCfmgPsoYxYQi4sneipBJgHydi9Gnczp4=w1062-h796-no.jpg

When Amanda does "I Feel Like A Woman" I have a few seconds to snap a photo during the intro.

3FwtESEb1MS2FRaES3PK2synllVefbyXFdSD4fAf3R3M4jOf8LdkNZlyeVuoUw5H_3byWO_vdYqbYuoWT5=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Here's the view from my mic. I wish I would've remembered to bring my hat. At least I had sunglasses.

Cp4LiKeMIPGZ1wnH_Ia5pbGeNYqUKLDHvA-17QPZ2lQAYHNqRHKPt1cNtk-_qrRTF3pyMK-Tydf4zeGzQy=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Johnny plays his big piano number. We all watch Amanda dance.

8cY-bVxZ8XIw2KL6GVl38FKvWUKujbEEp06qCP3ZIyMd4kfEUyG7hBokIysyWIPvZSizE6y5e72XucJC7K=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Go Amanda! Go!

7O2fb8PiF0Ry0iByEuNZnUpqwaw4BnQZ7rcIhOO7-LzgLh8Tk-shT8ig8Mvt11eCzRQl6LIRLDFA1VdSsS=w1062-h796-no.jpg

This gal is just too cute! She has fun with us.

uJf0N0rqV4sGf8JFB8KG6fDHcFdZrW2z9utROQq00iZXCXcnMiR3oQfANlsepsishh0Gx5LyaWd2VU4diV=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Jason knows what I'm up to.

3L2f07OdYbwZa070VpQ4iKk6L6KWxXBIoVhoosayZ2YtvuOah-0Ynso2y-YA4Gzz6Fg-wbMWNFGIxmS-pZ=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Arnie and I do a little dancing too.

p1blSbaxYGmPg9SUIr3fy95RtSFGaFxLkjBX52E_8ZfoD79OnMrVHrwRV2lpRBRJytamyzVSlQG-022VTy=w1062-h796-no.jpg

On the break Arnie goes to the Circle K and treats us to a cold one.

Bs3VfyitkkzWHfcfllldX-WdDzgBwySpULhQmNtHBEEWvSAPSNZozX2qSf8bBf152QZF3hH0kSWsCg9xvH=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then we're back for the next set. Ahhhh. The sun is almost set.

zOntZbPfS_BFWAdm-1_vcjADKawhJFaOWM0iQyCsyzb-qW7V1arsSVwaJ9nPoJzBUhvq1HD5TTCaofta4D=w1062-h796-no.jpg

On our last break our hostess takes us back to the Humble Farmer for some supper.

oc1acsWH4S_yxNnGrnVv7P4B-6vhrsWm0_L2lSpF6fR6epgOE5dtzDb4zH6UHziCaV3AQa6wfhIkbQCoAd=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Arnie enjoys the red ale. They've got some pretty good brews here.

zDFUMTwx0cfZIXAndPK7Y118NwFtx_rAFu8Et39C2KKM5qRv7XkDMOvnMy4sGkOURNhu_l-lIxsymr3Jlz=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We all enjoyed our roast beef hoagie and onion rings. Arnie almost got his finger bitten.

82HYI9_5T_y2-_1o2FS1yIVtWbXaFlanTqE0HbP1S6AxNUldELNXviwYH7v51cJEvc0kpJMnSyjSEnlYdY=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then before we started our last set I took a selfie in front of the banner.

UPIsBdy8e0vn2VYfAV4KOMhWMj8Ie-54clMu5FgjirMdsxLQnfp7USNbU9-Ycf5y0KPRyDiEohnRQ4nZMg=w1062-h796-no.jpg

A nighttime shot of our stage. Good down-home fun.

KwCR77NdAAtjnHdLj-p8b3fLPaLYiyWMMfyPHRzdK7cuaHMKJJnAtGafuUyeV-LGsIabS0aaiUvOMsAT3U=w1062-h796-no.jpg

The line dancers come out at night.

LnHKEnZ_UUS_Hu2lVkP2CHVkgwLcJd-gFkp5kzVusnQeRfaOvJhSKlbFeaiSxPetGlDRMOQf4uhOm1pEzs=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We are having a great time on the last set.

fk-YJh0Dpul9vSwXz7YLrgJdWEZoMaKnDlR1q2EsApfAKqeDqYZXFjufAD8TWHjUKeNsFy_Ap-GJ5NxouV=w1062-h796-no.jpg

We played a bit past 9pm because we were having such a good time. Then we wasted no time clearing the stage. Here's Arnie doing one more idiot check.

wOwfTeBKD-PN7HXPoQfaD04KcqFWR8l41-_6zoDvFJVKX7oX0mGm6pP1DJmXWwCRE7Uuf9QTQeZP2h998n=w1062-h796-no.jpg

Then we hit the road for home. I dropped off John and his gear (he lives close) and made it home at about 1am. It was a long day but quite enjoyable. Thanks for coming along with me.

Next week we're going to be a bit busy with three events. Wednesday evening will be at Downtown Disney, Thursday at the National Orange Show in San Bernardino, then Saturday is a private event at a fancy golf club in south Orange county. I'd better take a nap every chance I get. Please share your gigs too!

BassCliff

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. Another great gig report, thanks. I used to live in Tucson, with cousins in LA. We made that drive across the desert many times. Of course, Tucson is in the desert, so a trip in almost any direction involves desert driving; some of it pretty desolate. Always looked forward to reaching Banning and beginning to see serious greenery.

Thump on,

One_Dude

4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    You are theeee best, I must say! GREAT shots, amazing scenery, (that line about you needing 2 amps cracked me up) and yes, Amanda looked awesome!! Thanks for the post, catch you guys later, and I hope Arnie's not still looking for left over items! Dan

nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Cliff.

Nice road photos. I love desert drives. :)

I can't think of a better way to kill time waiting for a gig on a hot day than sampling micro brews in air conditioned comfort. :cool:

*sigh* ;)

My first thought when I saw the stage was... hot sun + no shade = wilting bass player. :woot: (me anyway :laugh:)

Nice way for Arnie to make up for subjecting you to his wall-of-sound rig. :D

Really, nothing feels better than the sundown set after the blazing-sun-in-your-face set. :thumbsup:

Fun times. Thanks for taking us along :)

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  6. Cliff, as usual an excellent report but I'm really impressed with the photography this time. A shot into the sun as well as a nighttime stage. If you spilled the beans before I apologize, but what kind of camera are you using? I'm in the market for a versatile point and shoot myself.

nixdad, McG, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I showed my wife your thread (because I normally do - she’s been wanting to get back in the business and I’m hoping she does) and she said the same thing I did....”those onion rings look amazing!!!”

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Blue skies ,nothing but Blue skies, do I see.
    I'm moving West.lol

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  9. No cover on the stage? No lights? Those guys need to take it up a notch.

I grew up in the SF bay area and for a while had a girlfriend in Arizona who was going to school in Michigan and we'd meet up during breaks. I used to drive the desert highways a lot, usually at night. I had a VW bug with a cloth sunroof and I'd open it up and look up at the stars as I drove (when I could). I also lived in Tucson later on and used to drive to LA, stay with my friends in Santa Monica for a day and then head up to the bay area.I know those desert highways well.

In my band I'm currently playing guitar, but our bass player is here on Talk Bass and we had a visitor from here, too yesterday at the gig. If I were to post a gig report, I'd kind of feel like it wasn't right. Maybe I can get Tom, our bass player involved over here in Gig Stories. Either that or start playing bass in a band again!

nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Paul. Post reports. You play bass, just not at the moment. You're one of us, you're family. :)

Sore Thumb, ELG60, pablomago and 4 others like this.
  11. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    You're the real deal. Thanks again.

nixdad likes this.
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello!

I used to drive to Tucson when my brother lived there. I just love desert landscapes and geology.

Thanks Dan. I wouldn't say the "best". Better than most, not as good as some. ;)

Hey Grant. It was an overall good gig despite a couple of hiccups. Since we were outside neither Arnie nor Jason were able to hurt me with volume. ;) And, yes, the brewskis always help to make the day better. It didn't seem too hot because there was always a nice breeze. I asked Noah if the wind ever stopped. He said simply, "No."

BassCliff

ELG60, McG and nixdad like this.
  13. fantastic, as usual....

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey gang!

Thanks for sharing in my fun.

I've just been using my phone lately, a Samsung Galaxy S8. I have a couple of point-n-shoots but my phone does fine, it's convenient, and doesn't eat AA batteries. I use Irfanview to edit a lot of the photos just a bit. I resize/resample them so they are about 200K instead of 4MB in size. They load faster in your web browser that way. Sometimes I will tweak the contrast, brightness, gamma, sharpness, and saturation a bit just to make them look better at the new resolutions (about 1200x800). My point-n-shoot is a Fujifilm Finepix 14MP camera that I've had for a while and is really beat up but takes pretty good photos. I just get tired of feeding it batteries.

They were killer. I love onion rings. I'm also a big fan of Outback's blooming onion.

It's great until it gets 110 degrees. :p

Sure, post your gigs. We don't care if you happen to play guitar or bass. You're a bass player and a gig's a gig. :)

We did have a few little LED lights pointing at us on stage plus there was plenty of ambient lighting around. Not having a cover can be brutal but for this gig it wasn't bad. I'm glad it wasn't too hot that day.

Ha! I'm the real something. :D

Thanks for stopping by folks. You guys are marvelous.

BassCliff

McG, Renaissance, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  15. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I'm disappointed that you didn't enter the onion eating contest. Did you see it?

McG, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That contest was happening while we feasted on onion rings and hoagies. Didn't see it. :(

Thank you for your indulgence ,

BassCliff

nixdad likes this.
  17. That's a long one! That setting sun scene is great. I dont know how you do these multiple gigs in a week!
    great report as always Cliff!

18. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    Looks like a fun time all around. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and narrate. It's fun to live vicariously.

19. Great report as always Cliff, here in NJ you would get pulled over, you can only use hands free devices, hence no shots of my commutes :)

20. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Sudden craving for onion rings and micro brew.

McG, nixdad, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021